Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by clavis

As for the attack it wasn't really, it was me being my mix of sarcasm, and odd humor. Much like someone rubbing their hands together irl, in anticipation of percieved bout for whatever reason. I try to rein it in, but sadly as you can tell I fail at times. Case in point telling my kids i'll kick the white out of them. 'despite what others may think I wouldn't kick them, let alone try to kick the white out of them. One it's impossible to kick the color out of anything. Then there is the one that went horribly wrong, but truelly epic. I told my then five year old "if you feel froggy, just jump' she responded by ribbiting and hoping around the entire house. So you see it's my nature to say things like this, and in your place I'd of put. 'Stop being an ass, Clavis.' then moved on as you did. Now then lets put on the gloves. (j/k should prolly add this to most of what I say, and text, and everything else, just a bother.)

Your poor kids! o.O Don't kick them!!!

Shield expert is one, also sentinel?? I think it's called is a feat that allows you to stop enemy movement if you hit them. Unsure if it's in EA or not,I find that some of the feats should be subclass features (there are some subclasses that do, just not the ones in EA. I believe not 100% sure) at times it sucks to have to build your fighter around such things, but it's part of D&D and 5e.

I don't think sentinel is in EA yet. There's a Xanathar's Guide to Everything fighter subclass called Cavalier, and their 10th level ability is basically the Sentinel feat. I'm skeptical that they'll put it in the game though, as they'd also have to deal with horses and mounted combat frown

Next point I actually agree with... your making it hard for me to be a dick btw with your logic!!

Muahahahaha

correction shield expert is wierdly worded to me for some reason. It implies disadvantage if your near an enemy who attacks an ally? or is it if your near an ally enemies get disadvantage if they attack they ally. My brain isn't wrapping around that one again.

Are you referring to the Protection Fighting Style that fighters get, or the Shield Master feat? If the former, then you protect an ally who is within 5 feet of you, imposing disadvantage on an enemy attacking them (putting your shield in harm's way)

sorry my quotesse is complete garbage.

Well you know old war injury, causes my leg to shoot out for no reason at all. Bloody wars and all that. besides spanking them is frowned upon, or so I've been told.

Yeah, I've not tried a Cavalier in any campaign, ones we've been doing are either warehouse, sewer or other hard to get to places. Which also rules out my playing centuar.... so their goes the idea of centuar ranger, with halfling archer on her back... I almost cried, but realized I lost my feeling again, blasted thing keeps running off.

Yeah the one you mentioned is it. I myself prefer the okay it's OP combo of tunnel fighter, polearm master, and sentinel. to keep my squishy companions safe from harm. Especially in tight places.

POOR KIDS!!! did you not read what my youngest did to me!! made a mockery of me, and there were witnesses as well. Luckily they knew I had to drive them to the hospital to get their ribs looked at so they refrained from mentioning it.

Anyway back to OP. Currently I think again not sure if I posted this in this one about Large battles or the other one...ones? Alot of my issue with large battles from non cheese. See my thread about battle with Guts. if you don't wanna look shoot me a pm and I'll put it up. for now also playing. Is the scripting really which slows things down immensely one person do to something in their script causes them to just stand there master debating, before most times simply repeating what they did previously. Which can make it a pain, and time consuming books are forums are a good thing at that point. or a nap.. was it this OP that decided they needed a cat nap? Then there is just the sheer amount of aoe, and actions they can preform.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On the other hand, the relevant question isn't whether a gnoll could make use of an acid arrow, the question is where would he obtain it? Unless we are positing that they order them through Acme-Coyote Mercantile, they have to obtain the acid, manufacture the glass container that contains said acid, as well as some means by which to attach said glass container to an arrow in a manner that doesn't interfere with firing the arrow. Not sure that gnoll society has actually provided for the development of these crafting skills and techniques. While there may be a shaman here or there that has learned how to work with acid and glass - they would be in short supply, as would such arrows. While they might trade with more advanced societies such as goblins or orcs, again they would only have limited amounts of such arrows - not enough to arm every gnoll, dick and harry archer with them. I think the use of such things needs to be toned down in certain situations - a bunch of drow would have all they need, as would a group of bandits, a small pack of gnolls should have maybe one arrow they looted from an earlier victim, but not an armory.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Anfindel
On the other hand, the relevant question isn't whether a gnoll could make use of an acid arrow, the question is where would he obtain it? Unless we are positing that they order them through Acme-Coyote Mercantile, they have to obtain the acid, manufacture the glass container that contains said acid, as well as some means by which to attach said glass container to an arrow in a manner that doesn't interfere with firing the arrow. Not sure that gnoll society has actually provided for the development of these crafting skills and techniques. While there may be a shaman here or there that has learned how to work with acid and glass - they would be in short supply, as would such arrows. While they might trade with more advanced societies such as goblins or orcs, again they would only have limited amounts of such arrows - not enough to arm every gnoll, dick and harry archer with them. I think the use of such things needs to be toned down in certain situations - a bunch of drow would have all they need, as would a group of bandits, a small pack of gnolls should have maybe one arrow they looted from an earlier victim, but not an armory.

There is relevant data in the goblin camp that covers this. For those not caring for spoilers I'll mark it as such.

1. Zhents are trading with the goblin camp, and monster races. they are seeking to procure slaves, and also trading wares. Zhents have a many bases to work from and many mages per lore. so I can see the goblins having these and those they are affilated with.

2. before the drow is a map clearly stating where gnolls and such are located means (not got that far) that they may be part of the absolutes army. hence it makes sense for gnolls through connection to goblin camp, who has access to Zhents trade network having these items.

3. where is all this gold coming from? have yet to figure this out or make it far enough to make an informed judgement. maybe later.

Last edited by vometia; 18/10/20 01:09 AM. Reason: fixed tags
S
stranger
stranger
S
There should simply be a way to speed up the AI and have them take their turns faster. If we cannot interrupt them (which we currently cannot) then there's no reason not to allow a speed up option. As it is, the camera in large areas, makes it impossible to even know what just happened since the camera won't follow the attack, necessitating the combat log which is just annoying on top of it all.

+1 Speed up AI aspect of combat.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
This is basically why I've stopped playing, I really just can't face doing the Goblin camp again. Big complex battles are fun from time to time. When every time I sit down to play I do about two encounters it's gone a bit far.

Edit: Also entirely agree about speeding up the AI. Also from a DM perspective, secretly rigging initiative to favour the player speeds combat up a lot.

Last edited by Panda Warlord; 18/10/20 05:58 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Skeleton Jack
There should simply be a way to speed up the AI and have them take their turns faster. If we cannot interrupt them (which we currently cannot) then there's no reason not to allow a speed up option. As it is, the camera in large areas, makes it impossible to even know what just happened since the camera won't follow the attack, necessitating the combat log which is just annoying on top of it all.

+1 Speed up AI aspect of combat.

a good part of it as I mentioned somewhere is scripting going into a panic. Which causes enemies to simply stand there for a little while. Watch the meter at the top to see what I mean. When it is working properly it's not nearly as bad. though it can get really bad 12 enemies and 4 of them standing there for minutes at a time.... it was horrible. need to go see my therapist again do to it.

journeyman
journeyman
The worst part of these mega-encounters is when enemies who are further away/ have a poor chance of hitting you just hang back and "plot their move" without actually doing anything at all. I mean, it makes combat easier (so I'm not complaining about that) but it also makes it fairly tedious. As somebody was saying, 2-3 encounters is about all I can manage in one sitting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta
The worst part of these mega-encounters is when enemies who are further away/ have a poor chance of hitting you just hang back and "plot their move" without actually doing anything at all. I mean, it makes combat easier (so I'm not complaining about that) but it also makes it fairly tedious. As somebody was saying, 2-3 encounters is about all I can manage in one sitting.

thats what I was talking about.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Worm
How would a gnoll get hold of an acid arrow anyway?

A lot depends on how you see their culture. Do they trade? Do they have organization in terms of gathering OR manufacturing OR bartering/bribing for equipment.

There is an awesome guild to gnolls as seen "through the eyes" of the DnD franchises here:

http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2017/12/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-gnolls.html

Depending on the source/timeperiod, there is some thought that gnolls intelligence (average) is around 8; which (again, depending on how you compare) might be comperable to an IQ in the 80s. There is a really interesting discussion of behaviors and descriptions of abilities and activities related via intelligence.

The link is here:

https://paulcooijmans.com/intelligence/iq_ranges.html

But the relavant discussion of an IQ in the 80s is as follows:

"80-89 — Below average

Above the threshold for normal independent functioning. Can perform explicit routinized hands-on tasks without supervision as long as there are no moments of choice and it is always clear what has to be done. Assembler, food service.

This is also the I.Q. range most associated with violence. Most violent crime is committed by males from this range. This does not imply that all males in this range are violent, nor that all violent males are in this range. But when the modal I.Q. of a group is in this range, one may expect trouble with with many male members of that group. When the modal I.Q. of a society or population is raised upward of this range, violence decreases as fewer males fall in this range then, given the shape of an even remotely normal distribution. When the modal I.Q. of a society is below this range to begin with though, raising it may increase violence. The causal mechanism behind the (statistical) relation between crime and below-average I.Q. is likely that lower I.Q. levels inherently tend to go with having less impulse control, being less able to delay gratification, being less able to comprehend moral principles like the Golden Rule, and being overstrained by the cognitive demands of society.

And, this is the range into which men of average or just above average intelligence sink when under the influence of alcohol; alcohol reduces I.Q. by up to about 25 points while drunk (own data), which explains why many drunk men are violent and aggressive (own hypothesis)
."

As there are known to be exceptional specimens of Gnoll-hood (Flinds are depicted as having an average intelligence of 13) I think there is plenty of range, and potential support for the idea that they could do some crafting/trading and so on.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
we should have the option to skip consecutive enemy turns by pressing space or something..

In another thread I head that Larian warned people playing in multiplayer NOT to skip quickly through dialogue as it made the game more likely to be glitchy (I'm severely paraphrasing). I would worry that the same might apply to combat. I'd rather go a little slow than crash.

Originally Posted by Pupito

Fights don't need to have a million different things going on and contain tons of new abilities and flashy explosions to be exciting and fun. Just let me fireball some goblins and have a feeling of being stronger than them without having to worry that 3 of them are gonna shoot acid arrows or start casting cleric spells out of nowhere.

This comment kind of squinked me out because it reminds me of how a bully would think "I don't want THEM to be able to hurt ME"; and hopefully that's not how it was meant; but hey, there is a reason that the University of Minnesota used RPGs (D&D specifically) as part of personality testing.

L
Lyn Offline
stranger
stranger
L
Anyone tried the multiplayer version ?

When splitting the team in 2 (each player control 2 characters), the combat flow become faster when their turn are right after the other.
That's because each player can do their action at the same time.

Applying this to ennemies seems like a possible step to a solution.
Simultaneous movement by having them split in 2 groups.Each one led by 1 "virtual player"

Last edited by Lyn; 18/10/20 10:26 AM.
TBH I think whenever the AI gets fixed/better this would not be a problem so much anymore. When you are bored by what happens to the battleground you are currently in as long as you cannot do anything this game may just not be for you. Also I would recommend never to try the tabletop, as that takes way more time. Sometimes even an encounter vs just one powerful enemy can take an hour.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by KingTiki
TBH I think whenever the AI gets fixed/better this would not be a problem so much anymore. When you are bored by what happens to the battleground you are currently in as long as you cannot do anything this game may just not be for you. Also I would recommend never to try the tabletop, as that takes way more time. Sometimes even an encounter vs just one powerful enemy can take an hour.

I agree. When the ridiculous amount of time the AI plans its next move and sometimes does literally nothing is fixed, big battles will be as good as small encounters.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/10/20 10:52 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls
Originally Posted by Worm

[quote=Pupito]
Fights don't need to have a million different things going on and contain tons of new abilities and flashy explosions to be exciting and fun. Just let me fireball some goblins and have a feeling of being stronger than them without having to worry that 3 of them are gonna shoot acid arrows or start casting cleric spells out of nowhere.

This comment kind of squinked me out because it reminds me of how a bully would think "I don't want THEM to be able to hurt ME"; and hopefully that's not how it was meant; but hey, there is a reason that the University of Minnesota used RPGs (D&D specifically) as part of personality testing.

Honestly I read the pupito quote like this "I want to be OP, not challenged or have to think. I want the unoriginal boring troped out of this realm enemy, so I can just waltz through the game." or maybe it's because I'm an ass, but I would not play any game, that involved walk cast, walk cast. Okay I did but even Skyrim made you think at times. Thats what 5e is about and what some are missing. Your spose to think, plot, plan, strategize think of new ways.

the rest of you post I enjoyed, glad you looked that stuff up, my google is often times like my quotefu utter trash.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard