Currently many threats are focused on problems related to dice rolls and low chances (be it accuracy or skill checks). An easy way to approach this without having to tweak DnD 5e rules would be to introduce a setting to let the player choose its "dice" or more technically the RNG implementation.

The standard dice will use the RNG result (between 0 and 1) multiplied with 20 (or 4, 6, 8, 12 whatever dice you use) + 1. That means the probability for all numbers is equal for an infinite amount of rolls. Practically speaking: You can still role 3 ones in a row.

However that it is not for everyone. Players typically remember only the last few rolls of the last minutes or maybe hours so they don't want equal probability for an infinite amount of rolls but for a defined one. Lets say you have 100 rolls, so I would expect 5 of them to be 20. Why not offer an RNG implementation that garanties exactly that for the last 100 rolls? That would lead to more average rolls in the long run and players would feel less luck dependent. In the end it is still a dice roll but something like 3 ones in a row would't happen anymore.

I would not recommend such a thing for higher difficulties as it could be exploited if you know that after a low roll you are extremely unlikely to roll another low one but for lower difficulties or if the player wants to set this setting why not?

It is far easier to balance than Larians current DnD 5e changes and I would prefer if they use different RNG implementations instead of tweaking DnD 5e rules.