Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#231548 12/05/04 11:21 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
There are four death knights who attack after Samuel disappears and they kill me before I can even pause. Is there any special way to defeat them, I am quite strong and had no problem defeating the single ones in the corridoors.

Strange that you cannot pause before they kill you.
What are you doing just rushing into that location then getting hammered by all 4 of them?
Are you using pauze button in the right top corner? The one you need to click with your mouse? If so try the spacebar (if you have the default setting).

First time I got in there I abused the game engine:
<span class='standouttext'>Spoiler : </span><span class='spoiler'>
The moment the dialogue ends, do a quick save then do a quick load. This will result in the baddies in the area forgetting that you are around(unless they can seeyou or hear you fight).
Then you can sneak up to them and either lure them to the safer area near the entrance or backstab them a bit.
</span>

For a non abusive approach I did the following:
Equipped one char with all the stamina boosting equipment I had.
Rushed that one into the middle getting the attention of all 4 deathknights.
The other char picked one with a bow out to whack. Meanwhile the other char was doing the headless chicken dance (run around like crazy). After taking out the first archer, take out the second while the other char keeps running around with 2 knights on his tail. Kill archer, kill next knight and the finally use both chars to kill of the last knight.
Note that this requires extensive use of the pauze option in the game.

Haven't tried the last approach so I can't say if it works.
You are standing next to an exit, use it any time the situation gets hairy to get mana/hp (and sleep if needed).

-------------------- Bringing quality trolling to your neighboorhood since 1995.
enthusiast
enthusiast
There are various more subtle approaches - for one thing, hitting a certain gong not far away gets some of the DKs to split up (so I read here - I haven't been able to ring the gong regardless of what weapon I had equipped).

With two warrior build characters I just charged in, attacked one DK at a time and continued until all were dead. That worked fine at the cost of a few healing potions, which are not in short supply under 1.42. Even a mage-build should be able to survive one or two blows and be able to suck down some potions if you hit the spacebar fast enough. You can have your primary tank take a regeneration potion right before combat starts to get a few seconds of hit point increasing - that may make a difference.

Reality is for those who cannot cope with fantasy. Fortunately, I can cope quite well.
In my experience ringing the gong (no item needed, just click it) results in three of the four human guards in the next room rushing to the room with the gong.
That way you only need to take out one to get to Samuel.

-------------------- Bringing quality trolling to your neighboorhood since 1995.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the tips, eventually I just used potions to gain speed, constitution, strength etc and killed them really quickly with a couple of pauses to heal. I never realised how much difference drinking a few potions could make to a fight.

apprentice
apprentice
I just recently faced them and here is my strategy

<span class='standouttext'>Spoiler : </span><span class='spoiler'>Had my warrior equiped with a crossbow and fire arrows, I approached them slowly and when I found one by the red dot, I fired at it. It came over to me and while I was shooting it with arrows my death knight used elemental strike. The hardest Demonic Knight to face is the one shooting at you with a crossbow, it does tons of damage, more damage than the melee DK's do. I killed it with my bow and used my DK's elemental strike, they all fell very quickly. It is better to take them on one at a time whenever possible unless you have 100 healing potions.</span>

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard