Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
Quite right, Anfindel, and mostly the point I'd like to make. If they want to copy a mechanism, ToEE is a good choice, in my opinion.

addict
addict
Original server Xoriat, currently on Orien. Been playing DDO since late 06

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
V
stranger
stranger
V
Yea Im a DDO player! I main a Drow, Cleric, Chaotic Good, Viktanys Do'Urden, but in Baldur's gate im Lloth Silvermoon smile Drow Cleric :P

B
Banned
Banned
B
Ddo was absolutely awesome and much better than bg3 from a complexity and rule viewpoint. But was always too hard to find people at your lvl to play quests. And the lack of enough solo quests made you simply stagnate without online friends.

Originally Posted by Horrorscope
DDO is imo the pinnacle of computer DnD. Yes it has aged, has a shit ton of content, very complex, but it really is a marvel. These two are in different styles so they have plenty of room to stand on their own without needing to bring the other down. Somewhere I dream of a DDO 2 that can just do everything right, but it is but a dream. With BG3 it is just continued refinement of Larian's cRPG's and it's good to see and play each iteration. We have one working in a realtime version of what DnD would be like that way and one trying to recreate the table top.

I would pay big $$$ to have a DDO 2 done today.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Ddo was absolutely awesome and much better than bg3 from a complexity and rule viewpoint. But was always too hard to find people at your lvl to play quests. And the lack of enough solo quests made you simply stagnate without online friends.

DDO these days is 1000x easier to solo, you can easily do about 95% of the content with one player and maybe a hireling here and there. It is a bit dry though so to actually enjoy most of it a friend will help a lot.

E
stranger
stranger
E
DDO was the first MMO I played. I don't know exactly when I first joined, but I think it was right after guilds were added, and I played regularly up until mists of ravenloft was added. That went strong for a while, but then it started getting hard to fill groups so I left. I have tons of good memories of the game, and I very much enjoyed the amount of build versatility it had. The build I ended on was a charisma-based purple dragon knight paladin/monk. Charisma to hit and damage, shortswords to stay in monk stances, insane heal amp. It was a bit subpar on damage, but it was a lot of fun being practically immune to all traps in the game, having very good self-healing (consecration ftw!), oh and I had like 120 intimidate too which came in handy sometimes.

Anyway, it was definitely a good time and I would probably still be playing if there were just more players to play with. And if anyone here was on the Orien server, this is Witty. I apologize for hitting you with a pumpkin. Or skull. Or for the few unfortunates around during the artificer buff bug, both.

OP Offline
yeah the rules changes will TAKE GETTING USED TO for many old school D&D gamers.

DDO works on D&D 3rd ed and worked out REALLY WELL. Even in an MMO, it FEELS surreal like a 3D experience should feel like.... with 6 member parties TOTAL FUN!!!

BG3 is a simplified D&D game. We probably would have given a ruleset like this a few hours of play on hte table and thats it....

But BG3 might SURPRISE. its brilliant game development and Im excited to see what this big team of developers can pull of!!

Ass Gary Gygax said about the rules....

Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ...

AND

“The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.”

This is why DDO works, and is STILL IN ACTIVE DEVCELOPEMENT after 15 YEARS

OP Offline
Exaltas -------------------> JOIN US on Ghallanda!!!!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rack
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan

DDO these days is 1000x easier to solo, you can easily do about 95% of the content with one player and maybe a hireling here and there. It is a bit dry though so to actually enjoy most of it a friend will help a lot.

Tyrs Paladium is still a NICE SIZE active guild on the Ghallanda server. And OLD SCHOOL is ALWAYS IN VOGUE.. in Tyrs smile

OP Offline
LOVE seeing DDO players of old and current here!!!!

THE FEW !!!! THE PROUD!! The lost adventurers :)~~~

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think I played DDO for a short while, but I am even more oldschool, my first MMO was Asheron's Call 2 (Turbine's game prior to DDO). smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Commodore_Tyrs
The loyal Dungeons & Dragons Online community has begun to try out the game (our D&D community been together since 2006). Many DDO players started playing D&D games when the SSI Gold Box games were a thing on the Commodore 64, 128 and AMIGA back in the 1980s!! Pool of Radiance, Dark Queen of Krynn and Curse of Asure Bonds.

Where are the OLD SCHOOL GAMERS and how DO YOU LIKE the potential of Baldur's Gate 3?

We are definitely looking for feedback from the gamers who played the turn based D&D products of years ago.

--- Commodore and Paks
CoFounders of the Tyrs Paladium Guild

To join Tyrs Paladium: https://tyrspaladium.shivtr.com/?site_game_id=187802

Oh heck yeah, I played all of that. I am old enough to remember the first "personal computers". =)
I was obsessed with Pools of Darkness when that one came out. <3

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by Commodore_Tyrs
The loyal Dungeons & Dragons Online community has begun to try out the game (our D&D community been together since 2006). Many DDO players started playing D&D games when the SSI Gold Box games were a thing on the Commodore 64, 128 and AMIGA back in the 1980s!! Pool of Radiance, Dark Queen of Krynn and Curse of Asure Bonds.

Where are the OLD SCHOOL GAMERS and how DO YOU LIKE the potential of Baldur's Gate 3?

We are definitely looking for feedback from the gamers who played the turn based D&D products of years ago.

--- Commodore and Paks
CoFounders of the Tyrs Paladium Guild

To join Tyrs Paladium: https://tyrspaladium.shivtr.com/?site_game_id=187802

Oh heck yeah, I played all of that. I am old enough to remember the first "personal computers". =)
I was obsessed with Pools of Darkness when that one came out. <3

I remember conquering the Well area in Pools of Radiance.

From that point on, my party insisted on using the Well as its base camp -returning to the Well to rest in safety, chat over roasted mob burgers and drool over new loot and gear.

Yeah, it was mostly in my head, but it was a golden time - years later BG2 Strongholds made this more of a reality.

stranger
stranger
CGA Gold Boxer here

Can still here those bad movement sounds in my head

OP Offline
Call out to DDO players!

Who's planning to play BG3?

What server do you play on? Guild?

H
stranger
stranger
H
Fastfoot Davenport & Henrieta Davenport from Ghallanda Rerolled

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Old DDO player, shout out to all my Defender Brothers and Sisters. I have left this game. I, personally, find it absolutely appalling that Larian has taken a classic, historic, icon setting and turned it into smut. But something moved me to just check out the forums one last time. We are better than this, the OGs has higher standards than this, and if it wasn't for Larian's fan base, the OG D&D crowd would willingly watch as this pathetic smut attempt to further the Baldur's Gate name find it's way to the same trash heap that is Neverwinter online. To those who refuse to let go, hoping on a prayer that they might change course and avoid this iceberg, good luck.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I'm currently greatly enjoying DDO for its diversity in setting and story.
It still feels fresh to me, which is why I still love to play it.

My personally favourite part is that there are pirates in a fantasy setting !

I don't intend to play BG3 until it is finished.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 12/12/21 10:18 AM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
I'm currently greatly enjoying DDO for its diversity in setting and story.
It still feels fresh to me, which is why I still love to play it.

My personally favourite part is that there are pirates in a fantasy setting !

I don't intend to play BG3 until it is finished.
DDO does look like a fun game. I wish it had a proper single player option.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard