Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
cal1s Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Just downed the big a** spider with my lvl 3 party and with some "help" i wont spoiler here, but damn that fight was intense.
Liked the whole design of the area too. Nicely done Larian.

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
I spent half an hour on that fight, did pretty well too (especially with three characters, as Wyll slept through it, as usual), dispensed with its minions, got it down to about ¼ health... at which point it basically said "I'm bored, imma pwn you all now", took out my two main hitters reducing them to a non-revivable state leaving my archer stranded on a pillar of rock wondering what to do with herself. Grr etc. Okay, maybe if I'd persisted I could have persevered, but half an hour of listening to battle music was more than enough for me.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Oct 2020
T
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
T
Joined: Oct 2020
It was easier when I found out you can shoot the Web bridges, preferrably with spiders still on them smile

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
I still haven't found where this spider boss is in about 5 playthroughs, going to have to look up its location.

Is it actually harder than Ethel though?

And I see why I missed it, I never entered the blighted village well.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 18/10/20 03:43 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
F
stranger
Offline
stranger
F
Joined: Oct 2020
there are other entryways in the village as well and a few hidden magic items along the way

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by vometia
I spent half an hour on that fight, did pretty well too (especially with three characters, as Wyll slept through it, as usual), dispensed with its minions, got it down to about ¼ health... at which point it basically said "I'm bored, imma pwn you all now", took out my two main hitters reducing them to a non-revivable state leaving my archer stranded on a pillar of rock wondering what to do with herself. Grr etc. Okay, maybe if I'd persisted I could have persevered, but half an hour of listening to battle music was more than enough for me.


Use one character to start the fight while the others hide.

Use your wizard to take down the 3 egg clusters with fire bolts away from the fight. He wont aggro and you can kill them all while all the enemies are stuck in turn attack mode.

Use the rest of your party to go behind one of the spiders (the one below is the easiest to reach. Bring your three characters to surprise hit one of the phase spiders. This should kill him before the spiders can attack.

Use your wizard to firebolt the webs if the Matriarch is standing over them. With 1 hit they are destroyed and she falls to 30-40 damage. More often she jumps to a new web so repeat the process at least 1 more time.

Congrats now you only have to kill 1 phase spider and a matriarch at 40 health at most. With your entire group still ready to strike.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Originally Posted by vometia
I spent half an hour on that fight, did pretty well too (especially with three characters, as Wyll slept through it, as usual), dispensed with its minions, got it down to about ¼ health... at which point it basically said "I'm bored, imma pwn you all now", took out my two main hitters reducing them to a non-revivable state leaving my archer stranded on a pillar of rock wondering what to do with herself. Grr etc. Okay, maybe if I'd persisted I could have persevered, but half an hour of listening to battle music was more than enough for me.


Use one character to start the fight while the others hide.

Use your wizard to take down the 3 egg clusters with fire bolts away from the fight. He wont aggro and you can kill them all while all the enemies are stuck in turn attack mode.

Use the rest of your party to go behind one of the spiders (the one below is the easiest to reach. Bring your three characters to surprise hit one of the phase spiders. This should kill him before the spiders can attack.

Use your wizard to firebolt the webs if the Matriarch is standing over them. With 1 hit they are destroyed and she falls to 30-40 damage. More often she jumps to a new web so repeat the process at least 1 more time.

Congrats now you only have to kill 1 phase spider and a matriarch at 40 health at most. With your entire group still ready to strike.


With a DEX-based character with good Stealth abilities (Astarion probably qualifies; my ranger certainly did) and a good ranged attack, it is possible to sneak around the cavern and draw away and kill the two phase spiders and destroy the egg clusters, all before aggroing the matriarch. This makes the fight much more manageable, since you now only have the matriarch to deal with. If you also burn down the bridges (with or without the matriarch on it), the fight becomes cheese.

Joined: Mar 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2020
Yeah, a very memorable encounter. Lae'zel pushed her off a web bridge and she fell into the Underdark >=D

A fitting death for her, really, if you read her journal -- she was a crazed devotee to Lolth who turned herself into that spider permanently.

Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
I think the fight seems scarier than it is with all the summons. And it's its best feature. It keeps pressure on the player, which is what a boss fight should be. In comparison, the boss fights in the goblin camp are too straightforward and would be much better if some surprise mechanics were involved (once you understand the potential drum call, it's just rinse and repeat)

The githyanki raiders give a tuff fight too. They strike hard and are very mobile. I have some good hope for a challenging tactical mode in the future.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/10/20 10:03 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
Yeah, a very memorable encounter. Lae'zel pushed her off a web bridge and she fell into the Underdark >=D

A fitting death for her, really, if you read her journal -- she was a crazed devotee to Lolth who turned herself into that spider permanently.



Yeah, I was actually a bit disappointed that I didn't have any unique options with my drow (Lolth) pc.

Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
Yeah, a very memorable encounter. Lae'zel pushed her off a web bridge and she fell into the Underdark >=D

A fitting death for her, really, if you read her journal -- she was a crazed devotee to Lolth who turned herself into that spider permanently.


It's kind of stupid somehow that a phase spider would die falling from heights. She could just phase again before crashing down. I hope Larian addresses this issue before release. Because it's a good fight and it shouldn't be cheesable so easily.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/10/20 12:25 PM.
Joined: Aug 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Aug 2020
Well, I cheesed it with Astarion stealthily taking down the eggs and the phase spiders from range.

Basically, I turned stealth on all the companions, moved them far away so the matriarch and the 2/3 patrolling phase spiders wouldn't aggro on them, took down the eggs real quick with melee attacks, started the fight, made sure Astarion was out of their vision range and it was constant: ranged sneak attack => stealth, up until her death.

At some point I was curious about dipping the bow in poison (since the big mama spider is resistant to poison) and used the wyvern poison on the bow out of curiosity. Big mama spider got 3 shot with the wyvern poison coated bow... is it a bug or a feature I wonder?

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I think the fight seems scarier than it is with all the summons. And it's its best feature. It keeps pressure on the player, which is what a boss fight should be. In comparison, the boss fights in the goblin camp are too straightforward and would be much better if some surprise mechanics were involved (once you understand the potential drum call, it's just rinse and repeat)

The githyanki raiders give a tuff fight too. They strike hard and are very mobile. I have some good hope for a challenging tactical mode in the future.


They are going to add a difficulty level so at it's highest levels I imagine there will be some significant challenges. BG2 and NWN had easy modes where aoes were enemy only, higher difficulties increased armor class and hp of mobs, potentially more mobs and the like.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Heh. My [turns-out-not-so] mighty Dwarf Warrior had quite an issue in this cave....
My rogue/thief however, murdered everything with more than two legs on her own. Hide, snipe, break eggs, hide, run like hell, shoot webs, scroll-of-magic-missle... Lots of fun.

Joined: Mar 2014
B
stranger
Offline
stranger
B
Joined: Mar 2014
Yeah it's a tough fight. My first time with the encounter I just went into the room and got spotted by a phase spider below me. Opening shot from the matriarch was a crit on Wyll that KO'd him. After a few rounds fight was looking grim until Gale cast a thunderwave that tossed the matriarch into the pit to the underdark! Had a good laugh, healed up then got curious if she had treasure on her and sent Wyll's imp into the hole to find out. Game crashed and I hadn't saved after winning the fight (EA woes).

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Well, I cheesed it with Astarion stealthily taking down the eggs and the phase spiders from range.

Basically, I turned stealth on all the companions, moved them far away so the matriarch and the 2/3 patrolling phase spiders wouldn't aggro on them, took down the eggs real quick with melee attacks, started the fight, made sure Astarion was out of their vision range and it was constant: ranged sneak attack => stealth, up until her death.

Yea, this is what I was talking about.

Originally Posted by Nicottia

At some point I was curious about dipping the bow in poison (since the big mama spider is resistant to poison) and used the wyvern poison on the bow out of curiosity. Big mama spider got 3 shot with the wyvern poison coated bow... is it a bug or a feature I wonder?

Pretty sure it's not a bug. Different poisons have different DC. A spider that is resistant to poison can still get poisoned by a higher-level poison like the wyvern one.

Joined: Mar 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
Yeah, a very memorable encounter. Lae'zel pushed her off a web bridge and she fell into the Underdark >=D

A fitting death for her, really, if you read her journal -- she was a crazed devotee to Lolth who turned herself into that spider permanently.


It's kind of stupid somehow that a phase spider would die falling from heights. She could just phase again before crashing down. I hope Larian addresses this issue before release. Because it's a good fight and it shouldn't be cheesable so easily.


Being able to push her off the bridge was a total accident for me, actually. It was a fun surprise, and I dont consider that yo be cheese. I dont consider anything that happens without foreknowledge to be cheese. Now, enemy ai just standing and doing nothing at all when we're at a sufficient height could use some tweaking... though I did *mild spoiler*
annihilate the druids that way >=P

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Aye, that was a great fight ..had three scrolls of ressurection and needed them all!

Joined: Oct 2020
N
stranger
Offline
stranger
N
Joined: Oct 2020
Did anyone else have problems with the camera during this fight? I haven't beat it yet and I think its an awful encounter in an awful location. Half the time I can't even find the
matriarch, or can't target the web bridge she's standing on
so I can't use that tactic or take a shot.

They also
use the phase ability
way too much.

Joined: Jun 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by vometia
I spent half an hour on that fight, did pretty well too (especially with three characters, as Wyll slept through it, as usual), dispensed with its minions, got it down to about ¼ health... at which point it basically said "I'm bored, imma pwn you all now", took out my two main hitters reducing them to a non-revivable state leaving my archer stranded on a pillar of rock wondering what to do with herself. Grr etc. Okay, maybe if I'd persisted I could have persevered, but half an hour of listening to battle music was more than enough for me.


was it the same music, or the awful DOS mechanics of shifting through imaginary playlists is back?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5