Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Original title: Reasons not to add Karlach as companion

This is my IMHO, why Karlach will not be in demand at all if she is suddenly added as a party member and romantic interest. But I will try to explain.

Now we have 3 evil woman (Lae'zel there, Mizora and Minthara on progress) and neutral Shadowheart which will show itself later.
They are everyone is beautiful and it would be better if the writers did better work on them, gave them deep storylines, personal quests, and romance.

Why do you need Karlach in the party - I don't understand. She may be good, but damn it, a tiefling who escaped from hell with a not very good reputation and manners, I would not romance her playing as the paladin Tyr or cleric Selune, and in the evil passage she completely loses to Mizora. (She is not in the game yet, but I can already see it, judging by the official art, and also by Will's story, that it is much more interesting)

I do not want to say something bad about Karlach, but let her remain only in the form of a good quest that will affect other quests and the opportunity to meet her at Baldur's Gate.

My suggestion: do not waste time on Karlach, work on those characters that already exist. Add a normal good girl as companion, maybe chaotic good or law good, but not like Karlach. Aasimar - more good option for a good girl.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vometia; 18/10/20 02:28 AM. Reason: Added spoiler to title
Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Rather than asking that some NPCs be removed we should be asking for a variety of companions. I want put together a good party and fight for right and honor! Look out evil, heeero coming through!

18 NPCs is the BG2 standard. Larian has does some fantastic work so far but they haven't yet produced a real successor to Baldur's Gate yet.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Rather than asking that some NPCs be removed we should be asking for a variety of companions. I want put together a good party and fight for right and honor! Look out evil, heeero coming through!

18 NPCs is the BG2 standard. Larian has does some fantastic work so far but they haven't yet produced a real successor to Baldur's Gate yet.


Many companions are good, I just expressed an opinion why it is not worth adding exactly Karlach. She just duplicates Mizora and loses to her and other characters. We need something that is really missing, at the moment is a really good girl, without any nuances.
Aasimar girl which will be the complete opposite of Minthara is what we need for a "good" passage

Joined: Sep 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2020
Interesting that the OP posits that Karlach would not be in demand at all as a companion, in spite of the many posts by people indicating they hope Karlach IS a companion. Denial is not a river.....If you prefer a different sort of companion, it is fine to indicate your preference, no need to suggest removal of another companion.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Anfindel
Interesting that the OP posits that Karlach would not be in demand at all as a companion, in spite of the many posts by people indicating they hope Karlach IS a companion. Denial is not a river.....If you prefer a different sort of companion, it is fine to indicate your preference, no need to suggest removal of another companion.


You may be right, but will there be enough developers to write both "good" and "bad" tiefling? To show that race is not the main thing, there may be such a message
I would like to see in the future not a third neutral tiefling, but something new that is really missing

Joined: Oct 2020
H
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
This is my IMHO, why Karlach will not be in demand at all if she is suddenly added as a party member and romantic interest. But I will try to explain.

Now we have 3 evil woman (Lae'zel there, Mizora and Minthara on progress) and neutral Shadowheart which will show itself later.
They are everyone is beautiful and it would be better if the writers did better work on them, gave them deep storylines, personal quests, and romance.

Why do you need Karlach in the party - I don't understand. She may be good, but damn it, a tiefling who escaped from hell with a not very good reputation and manners, I would not romance her playing as the paladin Tyr or cleric Selune, and in the evil passage she completely loses to Mizora. (She is not in the game yet, but I can already see it, judging by the official art, and also by Will's story, that it is much more interesting)

I do not want to say something bad about Karlach, but let her remain only in the form of a good quest that will affect other quests and the opportunity to meet her at Baldur's Gate.

My suggestion: do not waste time on Karlach, work on those characters that already exist. Add a good girl as companion, maybe chaotic good, but not like that. Aasimar - more good option for a good girl.

[Linked Image]


The companion will be added regardless if Larian has decided to implement her. Why would they remove a character they have worked hard on? But they might add additional companions.


If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Hachina
[quote=OneManArmy]
The companion will be added regardless if Larian has decided to implement her. Why would they remove a character they have worked hard on? But they might add additional companions.


I'm sorry I didn't know this. Of course then let it be, there is just a theory that BG3 will have much fewer companions than in the previous parts. I would like all those who the game really lacks were added

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Female mage, we got non. And a rouge: I want my Virtual harem! To many wieners for my liking for now.

Last edited by xMardeRx; 18/10/20 01:21 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
H
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Originally Posted by Hachina
[quote=OneManArmy]
The companion will be added regardless if Larian has decided to implement her. Why would they remove a character they have worked hard on? But they might add additional companions.


I'm sorry I didn't know this. Of course then let it be, there is just a theory that BG3 will have much fewer companions than in the previous parts. I would like all those who the game really lacks were added


No need to apologize, I just meant from a dev point of view, there is no reason to remove an asset unless it's cause a major technical or political problem, because its take time to build it etc. So IMHO if Karlach was meant to be a companion and they already did writing, code , animation for her interracting with you later in the game, it wouldn't make sense to remove her just to add another companion. Might as well just add another companion, makes players even more happy. That is, IF she is a companion.

But I'd really like as well that they add more companion, including good female and Aasimar. The illustration you posted is gorgeous, and I'd totally be in an angel girl or whatever as well ! I think it could only make the game better actually.
And yeah, Mizora illustration kickass, will be hard for any evil female to rival her.


If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
My only problem with her is the hairdoo.

Joined: Oct 2020
A
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
A
Joined: Oct 2020
She got two horns, the story mentions one. The meshes are placeholders most likely. Maybe you get lucky with the hairstyle grin
We have no bard so far and Alfira would fit a friendly group. Maybe she is not tough enough and she has no tadpole to motivate her to journey along. They made the tieflings very sympathetic


I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
Joined: Oct 2020
P
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
P
Joined: Oct 2020
My only problem with her and her quest is that she was described by the Paladin of Tyr guy as being a "one horned tiefling" but she has 2 horns. Why bother calling her a one horned tiefling if you don't actually have her with only one horn?

Joined: Oct 2020
P
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
P
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
She got two horns, the story mentions one. The meshes are placeholders most likely. Maybe you get lucky with the hairstyle grin
We have no bard so far and Alfira would fit a friendly group. Maybe she is not tough enough and she has no tadpole to motivate her to journey along. They made the tieflings very sympathetic


I hope that having a tadpole in your head isn't some kind of party requirement, if it is then it wouldn't make much sense that 1 out of 3 people we encounter seem to have a mindflayer tadpole in their head, I get they were harvesting lots of people but the amount of random people with tadpoles in their brains just wandering the woods in the middle of nowhere is crazy.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Pupito
My only problem with her and her quest is that she was described by the Paladin of Tyr guy as being a "one horned tiefling" but she has 2 horns. Why bother calling her a one horned tiefling if you don't actually have her with only one horn?


I used to think that it was not even written, and Larian just wanted to see the reaction of the community, work on this character further or not

Joined: Oct 2020
P
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
P
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Originally Posted by Pupito
My only problem with her and her quest is that she was described by the Paladin of Tyr guy as being a "one horned tiefling" but she has 2 horns. Why bother calling her a one horned tiefling if you don't actually have her with only one horn?


I used to think that it was not even written, and Larian just wanted to see the reaction of the community, work on this character further or not


She's totally written out, they have the whole "wanna join my party?" question and everything, she just isn't able to be recruited in EA at the moment. Think someone said they have each writer working on a companion, and have 12 or 13 writers so 12 or 13 companions is expected. They aren't gonna scrap all the work they've done so far on a certain companion, though it would be cool to see more companions added down the line at some point. I'd even take a cheap DLC companion who's just there for shits and giggles, like Sir Lora the squirrel from DOS2

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Aasimar aren't necessarily good. Tieflings, even those who've escaped from hell, aren't necessarily bad. We've no idea what got her sent to the hells after all, and there's precedent for tieflings running from hell being good. Sure, she doesn't have the brightest manners when meeting her, but given her circumstances, it's reasonable and I got a laugh out of some of her lines. Looking forward to her as a companion.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
There will most likely be plenty of optional companions however adding an aasimar to chapter 1 while alot of people have asked for the race probably wont happen it would most likely happen after the race is added or in a later chapter.

Side note Shadowheart is Neutral Evil (She has evil cleric actions in certain locations)

Secondary note laz'eal and Shadowheart are the only 2 current companions in early access.

3rd note most likely several additional companions will get added as well as a merc option they have already discussed. If you find the RP post I posted on here a while back I posted some commentary on ideas regarding that that could really explain how they could be implimented outside the origins characters in unique ways for additional companions.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Synaryn
Aasimar aren't necessarily good. Tieflings, even those who've escaped from hell, aren't necessarily bad. We've no idea what got her sent to the hells after all, and there's precedent for tieflings running from hell being good. Sure, she doesn't have the brightest manners when meeting her, but given her circumstances, it's reasonable and I got a laugh out of some of her lines. Looking forward to her as a companion.



It's true. But I would like to see a classic good girl as a good girl, at least one. If the choice for a good hero is limited only to Karlach, it will really upset all good paladins, and it won't be interesting to pass for good

Conclusions on the game can be made only for 1 act now, and the only "good" female character does not make me happy at all

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by acatlas


Side note Shadowheart is Neutral Evil (She has evil cleric actions in certain locations)


I would disagree that Shadowheart is evil. She shows clear guilt over raiding the grove, and feels happy about helping the tieflings. She hardly even seems interested in self-gain, just getting the tadpole out and following her goddess. Given her Urchin background and calling Shar her mother who took her in when no one else would, it seems like she finds comfort in her faith and devotes her life to it, but isn't actually all that evil. She's a cleric of an evil goddess, but not evil herself. 5E has no restriction that a cleric has to be the same alignment as their deity.

Joined: Oct 2020
P
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
P
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by acatlas


Secondary note laz'eal and Shadowheart are the only 2 current companions in early access.


Um, what? No they aren't? Literally all of the origins characters are possible companions in EA right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5