Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Nothing in this game is hard when you still have all the D:OS abuse around. So stop whining about difficulty already.

what if we want to play the game how you play 5th edition and not abuse the larianisms

Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Okidoki
Originally Posted by Doomlord


2) The battles suck, I have said this before in another post, It feels like every battle is played out by a champion chess player, meh no chaos , Every time the enemy goes right to the high ground and bombs my player characters with endless ranges weapons, Fire, acid , blindness, fear, after a few playthroughs i've really lost my taste for the game now.

0


Sucks to lose your stuff even in EA, i feel for you.

But as far as smart enemies goes, why wouldn't they take the high ground? Or rather why shouldn't they? Are goblins stupid, no they shouldn't be according to volo.

https://www.themonstersknow.com/goblinoids-revisited/ this is a pretty decent resource.




the problem is they had to give the goblins 3 times the hitpoints as a balancing mechanic for their unnecessary elevation system

I can't wait until we get level 9 and have a 35% chance to hit a dragon all the time

oh wait nevermind, flight doesn't actually fly in this game, because larian can't pull off what firaxis or indie game Solasta can

Last edited by override367; 19/10/20 10:33 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by override367
Originally Posted by Okidoki
Originally Posted by Doomlord


2) The battles suck, I have said this before in another post, It feels like every battle is played out by a champion chess player, meh no chaos , Every time the enemy goes right to the high ground and bombs my player characters with endless ranges weapons, Fire, acid , blindness, fear, after a few playthroughs i've really lost my taste for the game now.

0


Sucks to lose your stuff even in EA, i feel for you.

But as far as smart enemies goes, why wouldn't they take the high ground? Or rather why shouldn't they? Are goblins stupid, no they shouldn't be according to volo.

https://www.themonstersknow.com/goblinoids-revisited/ this is a pretty decent resource.




the problem is they had to give the goblins 3 times the hitpoints as a balancing mechanic for their unnecessary elevation system

I can't wait until we get level 9 and have a 35% chance to hit a dragon all the time

oh wait nevermind, flight doesn't actually fly in this game, because larian can't pull off what firaxis or indie game Solasta can


I wonder if Larian actually takes feedback in account, because so far the biggest change they’ve ever made was the durability of the weapons in DOS2
That’s their biggest example of how they changed due to customer based complaint.

Joined: Oct 2020
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by override367



the problem is they had to give the goblins 3 times the hitpoints as a balancing mechanic for their unnecessary elevation system



So goblins should have 7 hit points right?

Say a cleric starts with 10 or 11 hp. 10 being 8+con mod of 2. Then lets give them 2 levels at a 5 (which is avg given according the PH) and add 2 for con mod. So thats 10+7+7 = 24 HP. Wait havent we seen lvl 3 goblin clerics at 24 hp?

Take a note at the health pool of the goblins, especially in the ruined shrine courtyard where you found volo. They are level 1 humanoids who happen to have specific classes and can do what those classes present for the most part. So wouldnt it make sense that their Health increase while they level?

Or is that too difficult?

Last edited by Okidoki; 20/10/20 12:07 AM.
Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Okidoki
Originally Posted by override367



the problem is they had to give the goblins 3 times the hitpoints as a balancing mechanic for their unnecessary elevation system



So goblins should have 7 hit points right?

Say a cleric starts with 10 or 11 hp. 10 being 8+con mod of 2. Then lets give them 2 levels at a 5 (which is avg given according the PH) and add 2 for con mod. So thats 10+7+7 = 24 HP. Wait havent we seen lvl 3 goblin clerics at 24 hp?

Take a note at the health pool of the goblins, especially in the ruined shrine courtyard where you found volo. They are level 1 humanoids who happen to have specific classes and can do what those classes present for the most part. So wouldnt it make sense that their Health increase while they level?

Or is that too difficult?


They're all higher hitpoint because they have much lower armor class, for two reasons: burning surfaces instakill 7hp goblins and normal AC goblins wouldn't be hittable from lower elevation by low level parties with the system larian has introduced

Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Doomlord

2) The battles suck, I have said this before in another post, It feels like every battle is played out by a champion chess player, meh no chaos , Every time the enemy goes right to the high ground and bombs my player characters with endless ranges weapons, Fire, acid , blindness, fear, after a few playthroughs i've really lost my taste for the game now.
0

Yeah combat is way too much about racing to high ground and spamming arrows and bombs that leave surfaces. And exploiting the game against a superior enemy with free Shoves and backstabs.

Where is the battle that plays out "normally"? Where a tanky Fighter goes in first and HOLDS the front. Fighters don't draw any aggro much less hold anyone.

I don't like it how basically all the monsters have been given weapons that leave surfaces. Goblins have special arrows and bombs. Phase Spiders now have a ranged spit that leaves a large pool of poison. Because of course they do. Etc.


Only exceptionally cruel and suicidal creatures, or incredibly tacticians should just laser focus your squishies

If I'm fighting hobgoblins, I want to see their commander yell "Kill *charactername*" and then they all target that person to death. If I'm fighting Maw Demons, them scuttling past my fighters to get to my back line is fine. If I'm fighting goblins? Yeah no, they should attack a lot less coordinated fashion

seriously if any DM ran this game like this the casters would quit

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by override367

the problem is they had to give the goblins 3 times the hitpoints as a balancing mechanic for their unnecessary elevation system

I disagree with elevation being unnecessary. This is useful for tactical advantage and for strategy planning with the godsawful camera angles. If the enemy AI had some intelligence then the health could be more in line with what it should be. They should move to look for a hidden player and not just stand there like idiots, maybe some should even run away if they take damage. If they know an enemy is somewhere in the rafters then they should use some kind of AoE attack up there to flush them out. This kind of behaviour would also help those that insist they will only play melee and rush in to a fight.

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by override367

the problem is they had to give the goblins 3 times the hitpoints as a balancing mechanic for their unnecessary elevation system

I disagree with elevation being unnecessary. This is useful for tactical advantage and for strategy planning with the godsawful camera angles. If the enemy AI had some intelligence then the health could be more in line with what it should be. They should move to look for a hidden player and not just stand there like idiots, maybe some should even run away if they take damage. If they know an enemy is somewhere in the rafters then they should use some kind of AoE attack up there to flush them out. This kind of behaviour would also help those that insist they will only play melee and rush in to a fight.

I also like the tactics elevation offers, though I'd suggest that it gives a +2 instead of advantage. This allows you to have regular-AC goblins, as it will be possible (although still difficult) to hit them from low ground.

However, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, a problem with elevation is that enemies can't jump. Hear me out. At the goblin camp, I took my party to the upper levels (requires a jump, even if you sneak top right) and spent the remaining turns picking off the goblins on the ground who couldn't reach me. Every single turn, the ~10-15 goblins+ogre without ranged weapons took 20 seconds to think, then did nothing because there's no possible path to reach me without jumping. If BG3 allows PCs to reach otherwise-unreachable areas via jumping, then they also have to give enemies the ability to jump.

Or, much more preferably, make sure there is a non-jumping method of reaching every surface where a combat would feasibly take place. I really really really don't want every enemy to be a frog.

Joined: Oct 2020
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by override367


They're all higher hitpoint because they have much lower armor class, for two reasons: burning surfaces instakill 7hp goblins and normal AC goblins wouldn't be hittable from lower elevation by low level parties with the system larian has introduced


Are you sure about that?

Isn't it more likely that their HP is directly related to their class and level? Also their armor dictates some AC, some aren't wearing any, their Ac happens to be lower.

Where is your proof that they raised goblin HP because of surfaces?

Joined: Sep 2020
Banned
Offline
Banned
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
OP, combat is super easy when you learn the game.


You mean... when you exploit the game ? eek

(backstab + eating + surfaces + shove + jump + rest + advantages + ...)


How is using the game mechanics, "exploiting"? Do you want BG3 to be a JRPG where you load into a set battle arena?

because none of that series of actions has anything to do with how D&D is played.

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
However, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, a problem with elevation is that enemies can't jump. Hear me out. At the goblin camp, I took my party to the upper levels (requires a jump, even if you sneak top right) and spent the remaining turns picking off the goblins on the ground who couldn't reach me. Every single turn, the ~10-15 goblins+ogre without ranged weapons took 20 seconds to think, then did nothing because there's no possible path to reach me without jumping. If BG3 allows PCs to reach otherwise-unreachable areas via jumping, then they also have to give enemies the ability to jump.

Or, much more preferably, make sure there is a non-jumping method of reaching every surface where a combat would feasibly take place. I really really really don't want every enemy to be a frog.

Sad thing is that enemies will do nothing on their turns no matter what if you hide, not just if you have higher ground. I can duck behind a corner and they do absolutely nothing on their turns. Anything with half a brain would know where I went and act accordingly unless they are all too scared to follow? If this was the case then they should use this opportunity to make a tactical retreat, not stand there with their useless attempts to goad me into revealing myself.

I agree with you that more enemies should be able to jump. Some already do, like minotaurs who can jump much higher then the player. There are many combat areas with non jumping ways to reach elevation. Most of these you can destroy the ladder behind you, only seen a few types with infinite health.

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
However, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, a problem with elevation is that enemies can't jump. Hear me out. At the goblin camp, I took my party to the upper levels (requires a jump, even if you sneak top right) and spent the remaining turns picking off the goblins on the ground who couldn't reach me. Every single turn, the ~10-15 goblins+ogre without ranged weapons took 20 seconds to think, then did nothing because there's no possible path to reach me without jumping. If BG3 allows PCs to reach otherwise-unreachable areas via jumping, then they also have to give enemies the ability to jump.

Or, much more preferably, make sure there is a non-jumping method of reaching every surface where a combat would feasibly take place. I really really really don't want every enemy to be a frog.

Sad thing is that enemies will do nothing on their turns no matter what if you hide, not just if you have higher ground. I can duck behind a corner and they do absolutely nothing on their turns. Anything with half a brain would know where I went and act accordingly unless they are all too scared to follow? If this was the case then they should use this opportunity to make a tactical retreat, not stand there with their useless attempts to goad me into revealing myself.

I agree with you that more enemies should be able to jump. Some already do, like minotaurs who can jump much higher then the player. There are many combat areas with non jumping ways to reach elevation. Most of these you can destroy the ladder behind you, only seen a few types with infinite health.

That is true. Hopefully this height/hide auto-wins will be fixed when enemy AI is fixed. I agree that enemies should either search for you or retreat to safety when they can't find/reach you.

Yes, what everyone wants in this game is more minotaurs :P. And hmmm, do enemies ever destroy the ladder behind them? That could make for some rough encounters o.O

Joined: Jul 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by override367

They're all higher hitpoint because they have much lower armor class, for two reasons: burning surfaces instakill 7hp goblins and normal AC goblins wouldn't be hittable from lower elevation by low level parties with the system larian has introduced

This stuff was mostly debunked here: https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...lin_hpac_bloat_discussion_some_research/


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. You too can join the good fight HERE
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Orion's Belt
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Orion's Belt
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Doomlord

2) The battles suck, I have said this before in another post, It feels like every battle is played out by a champion chess player, meh no chaos , Every time the enemy goes right to the high ground and bombs my player characters with endless ranges weapons, Fire, acid , blindness, fear, after a few playthroughs i've really lost my taste for the game now.
0

Yeah combat is way too much about racing to high ground and spamming arrows and bombs that leave surfaces. And exploiting the game against a superior enemy with free Shoves and backstabs.

Where is the battle that plays out "normally"? Where a tanky Fighter goes in first and HOLDS the front. Fighters don't draw any aggro much less hold anyone.

I don't like it how basically all the monsters have been given weapons that leave surfaces. Goblins have special arrows and bombs. Phase Spiders now have a ranged spit that leaves a large pool of poison. Because of course they do. Etc.




+1

Last edited by Doomlord; 20/10/20 05:08 PM.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Legion of Doom - Dungeons and Dragons online - server Orion -
Doom ~ Khazadoom ~ Nexus
Joined: Oct 2020
H
member
Offline
member
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
Originally Posted by Hachina
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
Originally Posted by Raflamir
An Eder-type companion would be great. He was so un-special and it was nice.


Yeah he was special in being so aggressively normal, something this game really lacks. Apart from the PC, who seems remarkably shallow compared to each and every companion who could rightfully be the protagonist of his own game.


He was normal but he had a hell of a backstory. His brother died in the war of the saint and he was sad about it, sad about Eothas demise and his loss of faith. Eder is a pillar, he is kind, compassionate, quiet, and listening. He play the roles of a tank. But these vulnerabilities, his past, the fact that you recruit him during the soulless child crisis near a hanged-man tree, all of this gives eder a dimension, a thickness, a feeling of realism. Its all in the writing, the character went through a lot. He may be ''normal'', but he has tons of experience, he has lived, and he talks about it.


My point precisely. He had a whole slew of issues, like we all have and that was relatable. That is stressful, yet he remains calm and focused and speaks about it. Meanwhile we have a vampiric elf and a powerful priest of an evil god and a guy possessed by a demon and Lae'Zel is probably the secret queen of all githyanki. Yeah, I am sure this is stressful, but what do I have to do with it? Why are you so on edge about it all the time? Why don't you want help and why don't you simply want to talk about it? Geez, these entitled people. It is like the people complaining about their life and the gas prices just to ride off into the sunset with their Porsche.


Yeah, I read your post and I totally agree with it, it was a very good point about Eder. However, one could argue that Eder had time to digest it and you're not not in a race when you meet him, unlike companions in BG3.
I'd prefer more discussion with BG3 character as well, after a whole act, I don't know them that well. I mean, some people talk when they re stressed, people aren't always secretive, so maybe one or two of them could talk more about their past. Will could talk about his adventure, Gayle about his studies and mystra, Lae'zel about the githyanki life, and Astarion about the Baldur's gate life or his duties as a slave. At the moment , its almost as if the character do not exist outside of their personal quest and secrets.


Note : They actually banter during travelling. Because english isn't my native language, and the action doesn't stop during banter, its harder to notice. Also, they may repeat often the same line (this may be due to early access and bug).

Last edited by Hachina; 20/10/20 05:27 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Joined: Jul 2014
U
stranger
Offline
stranger
U
Joined: Jul 2014
+1 to OP,
The fights just don't feel like D&D at the moment, because of all the things that have been taken over from DOS2.
Outside the fights hardly a minute of play passes without a skill check. I find the sheer number of these checks absolutely annoying.
And like many others, I find the current companions unsympathetic. I can hardly believe that these were created by the same company that created the Red Prince.

Joined: Mar 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2020
Disagree.

Ive had exciting, incredibly memorable fights, nearly all of them - and I love the surface dynamics. I dont find everyone is rude to us - but jeez, everyone is either newly tadpoled, under attack from goblins, or a malevolent race - we're in the middle of an emergency zone in act 1. What do you expect?! Dont worry, we'll have a nice cozy fireplace somewhere at some point for you to exchange pleasantries with a tavern maid in front of soon enough. *eyeroll*

Joined: Oct 2020
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Oct 2020
To be perfectly honest, every CRPG is this to me and I still have fun with them. I'll let CRPGs slide on things I'd never accept from a tabletop game because of the limits of a computer.

But that said...I do hate some of the implementation of skill rolls. There are places where it feels like they replaced a dialogue puzzle with "roll a die" and it just feels frustrating and annoying when I run into that...especially in comparison to where they implement things well.

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by ulric
+1 to OP,
The fights just don't feel like D&D at the moment, because of all the things that have been taken over from DOS2.
Outside the fights hardly a minute of play passes without a skill check. I find the sheer number of these checks absolutely annoying.
And like many others, I find the current companions unsympathetic. I can hardly believe that these were created by the same company that created the Red Prince.


+1

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm sure this will get very boring pretty fast if they don't carefully manage each encounter instead of just lazily spamming ranged enemies ( Spells, Ranged Weapons, Throwables ) abusing high ground advantage. Don't forget the encounters are limited, we have no respawning enemies over here. That's why D:OS2 got incredibly boring after Driftwood, besides having 0% char progression since everything became a "Highest Initiative One Shot Wins" fest.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 20/10/20 11:14 PM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5