Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
stranger
stranger
S
The differences I really don't like, because of a bad gameplay experience (not because they are just differences).

A. Disengage as an action bonus. Make the whole concept of opportunity attack, protect by placement become totally irrelevant. Battle looks like a Benny Hill episode instead of an epic switch form bow to sword. Would say the same for pushing. But I like the idea of jumping for an action bonus cost (instead of free jump).

B. Helping people, saving them from death and putting them to their foot (instead of the saving from game-over or a really more costly resurrection). Looking at a streamer trying to help 10 ten turn in a row his fellow which go immediately back on the ground should be enough as argument. There is just no fun ! Just let helped people unconscious for the rest of the battle and make the AI stop focus them !

Bonus : The camp.

Actually, I really don't like the fact that sleeping in the camp is totaly "free". I know the problem is not simple. But having the challenge of clearing a dungeon in a single run instead of taking a snap after each encouter would be really great !

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Vynticator
Rather too many people here getting frothy over changes from core 5e rules. Larian do their own version of 5e rules. Elemental surfaces are fun, make the map layout and positioning absolutely crucial, and allow for much more tactical play. Some people get hung up on minute differences from 5e: maybe enjoy the game as it is, if it doesn't work in the game, then critique it in those terms. 5e isn't a bible and it's not useful to be fundamentalist.

I played D:OS 1 and D:OS 2. I enjoyed D:OS 1 and D:OS 2. This is a bad "hot take". I'd even call it a strawman argument.

• For starters, Larian themselves have advertised this game as being based on the D&D 5e ruleset. They did not say "Based on the Divinity: Original Sin rules."
  • Don't tell people to stop complaining about the differences between 5e and this game. Larian does Early Access for a reason, which is specifically to get feedback. If you like the system as it is now, great, fine, that's feedback, and you are free to give it. Don't tell others to shut up.
  • I will now explain the reason for the complaints. It is not a reflexive, knee-jerk aversion to change.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 is balanced on the idea of being fully charged with all abilities available for each and every combat. Tactics are King.
  • Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition is balanced on being fully charged after a long rest, and then having resources and options slowly whittled down over the course of a day. Resource Management is King.
  • BG 3 is using Hit points, Armor Class, and Spell Slots for players from D&D 5e. They are using the Concentration mechanic from D&D 5e.
  • Monster HP in BG 3 is usually higher, Monster AC is usually lower, and Ability scores remain the same.
  • D&D's HP, AC and Concentration is not balanced around the idea of status-inflicting surfaces, status-inflicting attacks, and AoE attacks to be as prevalent as they are in BG 3.
  • Just about every single surface effect in D&D has some kind of saving throw to resist for half or no damage. There is no such thing as a guaranteed hit from a surface in 5e, but there is in BG3.
  • Concentration spells are balanced around a roll under 10 or half the damage losing concentration. The more checks you have to make, the greater the chance you will fail. You are far more likely to fail checks because you're doing a lot more of them.
  • Enemy HP is way up, enemy AC is way down. This makes spells balanced around on hitting AC more reliable. This makes spells which affect a certain amount of enemy HP far worse, such as Sleep and Color Spray, because they can affect fewer enemies.
  • Enemy saving throws remain the same. This makes spells balanced around enemies failing a saving throw will seem to suck more because they're doing less damage. Example: Sacred Flame - it does 1d8 - an average of 4.5. Fire Bolt does an average damage of 13.5 from what's supposed to be a 1d10 spell.
  • Armor Class is based around advantage being relatively rare. Statistically speaking, Advantage is an effective +4 (Disadvantage an effective -4). Constant advantage from high ground is and disadvantage from low ground means those on the high ground are dealing more damage, those on the low ground are missing more and dragging battles out longer than would be normal.
  • And I'm even leaving out bonus action shoves, disengages, and hides.
  • Larian has changed many things from 5e, but have left other things as standard. That does not work. The systems have different design goals in mind.

Hear hear! Agree, nicely put.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Limz
Originally Posted by override367
We can already see the changes Larian had to make, goblins have 3 times the hp and half the AC, to accommodate surfaces, and to accommodate their ridiculous height 3:1 advantage system

They're going to have to rebalance concentration as a result as well, which will rebalance concentration spells, which will...

this is just going to be a spiral of them gutting the system they were given to use, and it's going to be unrecognizable by launch (battles already feel more like Divinity than D&D, the game really wants you to just shit fire everywhere and burn your enemies out)

You're not really being smart about this are you?

You know Larian has to balance for multiple things and there are some things that 5e is not good with and some things that 5e is like any fucking system -- in short: context matters a lot and balance is always contextual.

As Abits mentioned the changes were most likely to ramp up difficulty while keeping the encounter number low, you can probably then imagine why they would want to keep the encounter number low.

You can also see how the other battles NOT involving goblins turns out. Guess what? A LOT less surface effects and a lot less manipulation of height.

Try looking at it from their shoes or what possible perspectives may have caused them to do so before going full drool cup.

I am, their height system is asinine and is going to break so many builds, it belongs in a game where everyone can teleport, not in Dungeons and Dragons

I can work through the design logic from internal testing, the monster manual goblins would be incredibly frustrating to fight with their (NOT D&D's!) elevation system, giving you an incredibly low chance to hit them with their elevated defensive positions. Furthermore, with their surfaces, it wouldn't matter because you can just throw fire

So they have to break more and more of D&D to accomodate their Michael Bay esque love of fire everywhere

What are the consequences right now? Concentrating on spells is MUCH harder than the original design intent. Spells that rely on fixed hp like Sleep are much less powerful than they are supposed to be (ignoring the further nerfs they gave sleep by not having it last for the full minute), spells like fireball aren't going to be sufficient to kill large groups of enemies.

To put this in perspective, since you obviously have no clue how D&D 5e works: A maximum level wizard getting firebolted by a level 1 enemy has (assumption: war caster, 14 constitution) a ~12% chance of losing concentration on their spell. Cool, really slim.

In baldur's gate 3, that same archmage, weaver of reality, bringer of Armageddon, getting hit by a level 1 firebolt has something like a 40% chance to lose concentration if they get hit (hit->catch fire->walk out of fire->burn for 1 tick-> 4 saves)

So this will obviously need to be fixed!

I look forward to what other parts of this incredibly well balanced TTRPG system are needlessly changed to accommodate their desire to make another Divinity game instead of a D&D game.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by CrestOfArtorias
Originally Posted by Cowoline
+1 to the OP's statement. If you want 100% accuracy then make your own D&D campaign instead of having unrealistic expectations to a video game.

Oh come on, it's not an unrealistic expection, there are literally mods on the nexus that go along way towards what we're asking for

How is it unrealistic?

Not to mention that there are other games that stuck close to 5e AND work way better than BG3.

Solasta Crown of the Magister is coming out in like a week and it is MUCH closer to the tabletop, for example, flying creatures can actually fly instead of shooting themselves like a missile

It's made by a small, indy team, and it has no multiplayer, and little voice acting, so its no replacement for the professional endeavor BG3 is

However it does have combats against properly statted 5e enemies and is genuinely harder in parts than BG3 because there's not very much actual cheese in a straight 5e game without a DM that lets you get away with bullshit

Last edited by override367; 19/10/20 10:51 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

I am, their height system is asinine and is going to break so many builds, it belongs in a game where everyone can teleport, not in Dungeons and Dragons

Please give us some examples of builds that you would find in the PHB that would be broken by this.

I can work through the design logic from internal testing, the monster manual goblins would be incredibly frustrating to fight with their (NOT D&D's!) elevation system, giving you an incredibly low chance to hit them with their elevated defensive positions. Furthermore, with their surfaces, it wouldn't matter because you can just throw fire

You really can't because you haven't once addressed the problems that arise when you're in this specific context; you legitimately cannot understand design if you have no idea what the system is designed for.

So they have to break more and more of D&D to accomodate their Michael Bay esque love of fire everywhere

What are the consequences right now? Concentrating on spells is MUCH harder than the original design intent. Spells that rely on fixed hp like Sleep are much less powerful than they are supposed to be (ignoring the further nerfs they gave sleep by not having it last for the full minute), spells like fireball aren't going to be sufficient to kill large groups of enemies.

To put this in perspective, since you obviously have no clue how D&D 5e works: A maximum level wizard getting firebolted by a level 1 enemy has (assumption: war caster, 14 constitution) a ~12% chance of losing concentration on their spell. Cool, really slim.

D&D was broken from the get go so stop putting it on a pedestal and actually approach this like a professional would, understand that no system is balanced especially when you try to use it in a different context.

You're also terrible because you keep conflating issues; things like sleep can be easily tuned and keep in mind it no longer has a min/max, it's simply a flat number which makes more sense for what they're seeming to aim for. But you don't even know what kind of direction they might be headed in because all you think about is how it's not 5e, so your criticisms aren't even aligned properly.

And honestly I wouldn't bother speculating about maximum level wizards or even bringing up this scenario unless you understand what they may be aiming at. And guess what? It's not a strict interpretation of 5e, they have bigger fish to fry.

(Also, your example is fucking retarded because in any given scenario there's definitely going to be gear involved).

I look forward to what other parts of this incredibly well balanced TTRPG system are needlessly changed to accommodate their desire to make another Divinity game instead of a D&D game.

I look forward to your next brain dead argument. One day, you'll be able to form a coherent argument that would allow you to pass a phone screen for an architect position. That bar is really low.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S

Please give us some examples of builds that you would find in the PHB that would be broken by this.

You really can't because you haven't once addressed the problems that arise when you're in this specific context; you legitimately cannot understand design if you have no idea what the system is designed for.

D&D was broken from the get go so stop putting it on a pedestal and actually approach this like a professional would, understand that no system is balanced especially when you try to use it in a different context.

You're also terrible because you keep conflating issues; things like sleep can be easily tuned and keep in mind it no longer has a min/max, it's simply a flat number which makes more sense for what they're seeming to aim for. But you don't even know what kind of direction they might be headed in because all you think about is how it's not 5e, so your criticisms aren't even aligned properly.

And honestly I wouldn't bother speculating about maximum level wizards or even bringing up this scenario unless you understand what they may be aiming at. And guess what? It's not a strict interpretation of 5e, they have bigger fish to fry.

(Also, your example is fucking retarded because in any given scenario there's definitely going to be gear involved).

I look forward to your next brain dead argument. One day, you'll be able to form a coherent argument that would allow you to pass a phone screen for an architect position. That bar is really low.

Jeez. Another blind Larian fanboy.

Banned
Banned
@OP

make me. you don't get to tell me what my opinion is.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Elemental surfaces are boring as hell and not a 5E thing. If they wanted to make a new divinity, just make a new divinity instead of trying to call it a 5E DnD game. Solasta with a team of 17 people, has shit all over this game.

veteran
veteran
Sleep are much less powerful than they are supposed to be (ignoring the further nerfs they gave sleep by not having it last for the full minute), spells like fireball aren't going to be sufficient to kill large groups of enemies.

You're also terrible because you keep conflating issues; things like sleep can be easily tuned and keep in mind it no longer has a min/max, it's simply a flat number which makes more sense for what they're seeming to aim for.

I'm not commenting on whether the changes Larian has made are good or bad. But I will disagree that "sleep can be easily tuned." The current state of the game is that goblins we fight have more HP than 5e goblins, so sleep is weaker. The simple fix I see for Sleep is to make it affect more HP. Okay, but now what happens when enemies cast this more-powerful version of sleep on you, the party, who don't have artificially-increased HP? Sleep is now overpowered against the party. To fix this, you give all PCs their max HP on levelup to account for this. But now encounters are less challenging and you have to buff all enemies' damage or HP, which makes sleep underpowered again....etc

The example above is hyperbole, sure, but still relevant. Changes made to a small thing (like goblin HP) can cascade into having to change a whole bunch of other things. If Larian can successfully change all these other things, okay great! If not, then it's a problem.

D
D
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Sleep are much less powerful than they are supposed to be (ignoring the further nerfs they gave sleep by not having it last for the full minute), spells like fireball aren't going to be sufficient to kill large groups of enemies.

You're also terrible because you keep conflating issues; things like sleep can be easily tuned and keep in mind it no longer has a min/max, it's simply a flat number which makes more sense for what they're seeming to aim for.

I'm not commenting on whether the changes Larian has made are good or bad. But I will disagree that "sleep can be easily tuned." The current state of the game is that goblins we fight have more HP than 5e goblins, so sleep is weaker. The simple fix I see for Sleep is to make it affect more HP. Okay, but now what happens when enemies cast this more-powerful version of sleep on you, the party, who don't have artificially-increased HP? Sleep is now overpowered against the party. To fix this, you give all PCs their max HP on levelup to account for this. But now encounters are less challenging and you have to buff all enemies' damage or HP, which makes sleep underpowered again....etc

The example above is hyperbole, sure, but still relevant. Changes made to a small thing (like goblin HP) can cascade into having to change a whole bunch of other things. If Larian can successfully change all these other things, okay great! If not, then it's a problem.

+1, valid point. Also keep in mind some enemies' HP is not tuned, so the 'sleep can be easily tuned' is a naive thought. If only goblin's hp is tuned but not other monsters, how can make sleep affect larger health pool work? It will become overpowered.

D&D was broken from the get go so stop putting it on a pedestal and actually approach this like a professional would

While there is no perfectly balanced system out there, 5e is pretty darn good. You show little understanding for it, but are very rude to overcompensate that fact.

You're also terrible because you keep conflating issues

Maybe refrain from calling other users terrible.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by endolex
Originally Posted by Cowoline
+1 to the OP's statement. If you want 100% accuracy then make your own D&D campaign instead of having unrealistic expectations to a video game.

Oh come on, it's not an unrealistic expection, there are literally mods on the nexus that go along way towards what we're asking for

How is it unrealistic?

Not to mention that there are other games that stuck close to 5e AND work way better than BG3.

For 5E specifically only the upcoming Solasta comes to my mind - do you know other examples, I'd be curious to know? But previous D&D editions: Yes, pretty much agreed. Larian right now is bending the rules more than any other D&D C-RPG game developer.

I am thinking of Solasta specifically, should have been more clear.

journeyman
journeyman

You are missing the point. Sleep cannot be "easily tuned" because if you do that something else will break along that way. For example, lets say we increase the amount of HP it affects, cool. Well damn now sleep ruins some of our encounters, ok buff their HP so only some are affected. Oh the monsters have too much HP already? Eh buff their cantrips. Their first level spells are not powerful enough anymore when compared to cantrips? Buff the spells. Etc etc.

journeyman
journeyman
Swen Vincke: BG3 is based on the fifth edition [of D&D]. We started by setting out the ruleset very meticulously, and then seeing what worked and what didn’t work – because it is a videogame, and D&D was made to play as a tabletop game. So for the things that didn’t work, we came up with solutions.
The cool thing we found is that a lot of what makes D&D, D&D, actually survived the translation, so I think that if you like Dungeons and Dragons and you want to play BG3, you’re going to be happy.

nothing to say more

Last edited by arion; 20/10/20 07:28 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by arion
Swen Vincke: BG3 is based on the fifth edition [of D&D]. We started by setting out the ruleset very meticulously, and then seeing what worked and what didn’t work – because it is a videogame, and D&D was made to play as a tabletop game. So for the things that didn’t work, we came up with solutions.
The cool thing we found is that a lot of what makes D&D, D&D, actually survived the translation, so I think that if you like Dungeons and Dragons and you want to play BG3, you’re going to be happy.

nothing to say more

Evidently that is not the case with quite a few DnD folks.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I find it hilarious Solasta is mentioned when they have stuff like Wizards that are as good as Rangers with a bow with "Greenmage" school (they even get Archery AND Hunter's Mark kekw) or Paladins that can toss a bloody Fireball at level 5.

Solasta is not some paragon of D&D purity there.

Last edited by Gaidax; 20/10/20 08:24 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
  • For starters, Larian themselves have advertised this game as being based on the D&D 5e ruleset. They did not say "Based on the Divinity: Original Sin rules."
  • Don't tell people to stop complaining about the differences between 5e and this game. Larian does Early Access for a reason, which is specifically to get feedback. If you like the system as it is now, great, fine, that's feedback, and you are free to give it. Don't tell others to shut up.
  • I will now explain the reason for the complaints. It is not a reflexive, knee-jerk aversion to change.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 is balanced on the idea of being fully charged with all abilities available for each and every combat. Tactics are King.
  • Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition is balanced on being fully charged after a long rest, and then having resources and options slowly whittled down over the course of a day. Resource Management is King.
  • BG 3 is using Hit points, Armor Class, and Spell Slots for players from D&D 5e. They are using the Concentration mechanic from D&D 5e.
  • Monster HP in BG 3 is usually higher, Monster AC is usually lower, and Ability scores remain the same.
  • D&D's HP, AC and Concentration is not balanced around the idea of status-inflicting surfaces, status-inflicting attacks, and AoE attacks to be as prevalent as they are in BG 3.
  • Just about every single surface effect in D&D has some kind of saving throw to resist for half or no damage. There is no such thing as a guaranteed hit from a surface in 5e, but there is in BG3.
  • Concentration spells are balanced around a roll under 10 or half the damage losing concentration. The more checks you have to make, the greater the chance you will fail. You are far more likely to fail checks because you're doing a lot more of them.
  • Enemy HP is way up, enemy AC is way down. This makes spells balanced around on hitting AC more reliable. This makes spells which affect a certain amount of enemy HP far worse, such as Sleep and Color Spray, because they can affect fewer enemies.
  • Enemy saving throws remain the same. This makes spells balanced around enemies failing a saving throw will seem to suck more because they're doing less damage. Example: Sacred Flame - it does 1d8 - an average of 4.5. Fire Bolt does an average damage of 13.5 from what's supposed to be a 1d10 spell.
  • Armor Class is based around advantage being relatively rare. Statistically speaking, Advantage is an effective +4 (Disadvantage an effective -4). Constant advantage from high ground is and disadvantage from low ground means those on the high ground are dealing more damage, those on the low ground are missing more and dragging battles out longer than would be normal.
  • And I'm even leaving out bonus action shoves, disengages, and hides.
  • Larian has changed many things from 5e, but have left other things as standard. That does not work. The systems have different design goals in mind.

That about sums it up. The problem is not that they made changes, its that they didn't have to, and it didn't made the game better.

Necromancy is just recycling...
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Gaidax

I find it hilarious Solasta is mentioned when they have stuff like Wizards that are as good as Rangers with a bow with "Greenmage" school (they even get Archery AND Hunter's Mark kekw) or Paladins that can toss a bloody Fireball at level 5.

Solasta is not some paragon of D&D purity there.

Solasta is playing by the rules and writing it's own subclasses.

BG3 is that DM who wrote his own 5.5 rules. For better or worse. More than needed.

I don't have a problem with the changes, I have a problem with how much the infringe on balance. I don't even mean the gernade spam-I'm fine with that, people usually ignore thrown weapons like alchemists fire entirely because they suck. If they did a little bit more via surface creation I'd be fine with it. But the timing of damage right now, and the impact of these insane goddamn barrels, is nuts. Spells like firebolt and ray of frost are insanely powerful. Bonus actions are simply stupidly broken, with any form of battlefield positioning a lost cause because everything can jump past frontline character and AOO are a myth.

There are serious issues here, more than Larian adding their own touch. They could fix this by rebalancing numbers mostly, and the timing of damage-being set of fire should have a delay before damage starts, and only trigger once unless you are still in the fire source. It should only occur if you are on a fire surface, which should require either a specific cantrip (there are spells which literally just create persistent fires, create bonfire or shape fire) or a higher level spell like fireball. The other surfaces need similar treatment. Maybe let cantrips specifically aimed at the ground create small surfaces, if it does not overlap a character. And barrels need to be reduced in impact by an order of magnitude, and almost every bonus action completely axed in the current form.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SilverSaint
[
I don't have a problem with the changes, I have a problem with how much the infringe on balance.

Yes because clearly auto-upcasting Wizards or literal Wizard-Rangers backed by Scorching/Fireball Paladins do not infringe on balance.

I just find it funny how Solasta is apparently our lord and savior, while BG3 is the devil. I currently do a Solasta run and it has plenty of its own stuff that is nowhere to be found in 5e, including environmental effects. Know why? Because it's a video game and video games need a bit more than RAW 5e.

I only did the Solasta demo a few weeks back, but disregarding the homebrew classes they still do some things better atm. Reactions alone are a huge factor. What you criticize is easyly fixed, but the systems are in better shape.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard