Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Anyone else play super slowly? I'm very thorough, searching everywhere with great care. I use a lot of stealth tactics, lots of careful scouting and sneaking about. I also re-load a lot to try different things. 42 hours on one character and I haven't even been to the goblin camp yet.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 18/10/20 08:26 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Happens for me in most Larian games because there's so much hidden stuff and you can go pretty much everywhere from the get go with different movement abilities. In my latest playthrough I haven't even been to the village with the windmill, however I have been in the Underdark. Nonlinear gameplay is a great strength of Larian.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah I do like that you have so many options for what order to do things in, ways to get into areas, etc.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm clearly worse than you then - 65 hours, and was heading to the Goblin Camp last night; however, was waylaid by 2 blokes arguing with what appeared to be a very suspicious old lady. Of course, I had to go investigate laugh

.i.
apprentice
apprentice
Yes I also take my time. I am still in the tutorial as you can see here. It's very important not to miss something important.

Video of me not missing important story or gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOQkpOyDRU&ab_channel=Haxzploid

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢
I'm clearly worse than you then - 65 hours, and was heading to the Goblin Camp last night; however, was waylaid by 2 blokes arguing with what appeared to be a very suspicious old lady. Of course, I had to go investigate laugh

Well that's a whole rabbit hole to go down.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Syrek
Happens for me in most Larian games because there's so much hidden stuff and you can go pretty much everywhere from the get go with different movement abilities. In my latest playthrough I haven't even been to the village with the windmill, however I have been in the Underdark. Nonlinear gameplay is a great strength of Larian.

How did you get into the Underdark without going into the goblin camp first? Is there an entrance somewhere else?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Milani
Originally Posted by Syrek

How did you get into the Underdark without going into the goblin camp first? Is there an entrance somewhere else?

You could go through the well or break through the wall in the blighted village or the Hag's home.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah there's a huge pit leading down to the Underdark in the area where the Phase Spider Matriarch lairs. You can jump in there.

apprentice
apprentice
It took me a fair while to get to the goblin camp as well, about 17 hours in, it was the last location I went to. I got as much experience and loot as I could get, sadly had to enter it with level 4 due to the level cap, but I would love to see what kind of carnage I could wreak once that cap is gone.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Anyone else play super slowly? I'm very thorough, searching everywhere with great care. I use a lot of stealth tactics, lots of careful scouting and sneaking about. I also re-load a lot to try different things. 42 hours on one character and I haven't even been to the goblin camp yet.

Yes, I think the official term is “completionist” and I am exactly like that. I’ll go through every nook and cranny. Also doing all the side missions.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢

Well that's a whole rabbit hole to go down.

Ikr - although I might actually call it a 'spider hole' laugh

.i.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ben Thunder
It took me a fair while to get to the goblin camp as well, about 17 hours in, it was the last location I went to. I got as much experience and loot as I could get, sadly had to enter it with level 4 due to the level cap, but I would love to see what kind of carnage I could wreak once that cap is gone.

Level 5 is when classes start to have multi-attacks and spells like fireballs. Those poor goblins won't last long with that.

Based on their level, you are supposed to do them first and then the optional stuff like the Hag or the Underdark.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by azarhal
Originally Posted by Ben Thunder

Level 5 is when classes start to have multi-attacks and spells like fireballs. Those poor goblins won't last long with that.

Based on their level, you are supposed to do them first and then the optional stuff like the Hag or the Underdark.

Multi attacks after level 5? I'm a noob if it comes to D&D rules, could you elaborate please?
Thought every character has 1 Action per round (aside from bonus attacks)...

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Niya
Multi attacks after level 5? I'm a noob if it comes to D&D rules, could you elaborate please?

Certain cantrips scale with level, ie. Eldritch Blast will have 4 beams at character level 17. Martial classes gain one extra attack at level 5, Fighters will have gain 4 (3 extra) attacks at level 20. These are considered one action I think. There are ways to gain multiple actions too: Fighters using Action Surge and the 3rd level Haste spell are some ways to gain additional action per turn. Then we have Sorcerers who can use metamagic to twin spells (cast two per turn).

Last edited by Seraphael; 19/10/20 01:15 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Normally I would really take my time... On a full version and less buggy final game release. I’m not knocking the work already done and my first play through was enjoyable for sure. But you get these blocks and walls in the game that sort of ruin that for me? Quests and that you can’t complete areas that are not allowed or made and max level 4 so working beyond that feels like I’m being cheated....

I’ll play more like that when it’s fully flushed out and ready.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Seraphael

Certain cantrips scale with level, ie. Eldritch Blast will have 4 beams at character level 17. Martial classes gain one extra attack at level 5, Fighters will have gain 4 (3 extra) attacks at level 20. These are considered one action I think. There are ways to gain multiple actions too: Fighters using Action Surge and the 3rd level Haste spell are some ways to gain additional action per turn. Then we have Sorcerers who can use metamagic to twin spells (cast two per turn).

Oh ok, I get it now.. somehow. However what means "extra attack" at level 5? For me, it means extra action, no? Or it means extra attacks with the same action, i.e. before it was one attack for one action, after lvl 5 two attacks within the same one action. Am i correct?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Knoland
Normally I would really take my time... On a full version and less buggy final game release. I’m not knocking the work already done and my first play through was enjoyable for sure. But you get these blocks and walls in the game that sort of ruin that for me? Quests and that you can’t complete areas that are not allowed or made and max level 4 so working beyond that feels like I’m being cheated....

I’ll play more like that when it’s fully flushed out and ready.

How can you feal 'cheated' when the Game Producer himself told you it was EARLY ACCESS and not to expect too much? I mean, seriously...

.i.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Seraphael

Oh ok, I get it now.. somehow. However what means "extra attack" at level 5? For me, it means extra action, no? Or it means extra attacks with the same action, i.e. before it was one attack for one action, after lvl 5 two attacks within the same one action. Am i correct?

Yes, that's right. Two attacks in one action.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard