Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iril Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
So, to get this out of the way. I very much like BG3 so far. I think Larian is doing a good job. That said, and bugs aside, there are a few things I've found so far that I will list here. As I continue playing I'll add to the list.
These are my opinions by the way, other people might not agree. That is fine.

EDIT:
I will add the bugs and clunky mechanics people add below for ease of reference and add the name of the one who posted it.

Positive things (not fair to just name all the things I've found)
- The characters feel unique and flavorful
- The map works really well
- Combat feels rewarding and I really liked the turn based mechanics. They worked out really well
-

immersion breaking:

- The ability to do a long rest while in a dungeon, where your party just somehow magically appears in the camp seems gimmicky at best.
- Selling things to a vendor and after you kill them to get everything back. I know its realistic, but this feels very much like an exploit.
- Sending things from your inventory to your camp... Useful, but how would that even work? I would have preferred a bag of holding, or a easy to use pocket plain.
Perhaps a doorknob that you can use on a door and if you open the door the room behind is always the same pocket plain?
- The skeleton who can res your players at camp makes dieing feel very inconsequential
- You can eat, and benefit from healing in combat
-

Clunky mechanic:
- jumping is weird. Many times there is plenty of room and the distance not to far, but still it wont work
- While in buildings and targeting things, sometimes the roof gets in the way (if you are in the tollhouse on the balcony and shooting down for instance)
- If you carry to much you don't noticeably move slower, until you are encumbered. Then you just stop moving.
- Many of the items are easy to forget, like the things you find on the ship. I had little need for any of them, making them seem added mainly as sellable loot.
- Eating heals far to much health, making healers far less needed.

Bug:

- You can consume a bucket... for 2 health... O_o
- Talking with an NPC's (Karlach for one) will replay the entire dialogue as if you didn't talk with her yet.
- If you click the level up icon it is possible for the game to hang for a second. If you click it again, the first icon you click is the level up icon and for some reason you end up without the attributes from the feat.

-[By Rudal] ]NPC's attacking you through walls. (I had a fight in the ruins where I surprised a bunch of bandits. ShadowHeart and my warrior were standing in the door and Astarion was inside the room hidden behind the wall.
He couldn't do anything as the path to the bandits was blocked by me and Shadowheart and he couldn't use his bow as bandits were obscured by the wall. Yet, bandit mage and archer were shooting him with no problems from the corridor)

-[By Rudal] Inaccessible NPC's on the roofs. (Similar to above in the Abandoned Village - got into fight with a goblin inside the room that aggroed all goblins around. Turned out that a couple of them were sitting on the roof. I got hit by them but I couldn't set the camera so I can shoot back. Clicking/targetting portraits just gives and invalid target message.

-- Will add as I play

Last edited by iril; 19/10/20 06:03 PM.
V
V
For the camp it would make much more sense, if the background changed according to your current location, right now it could simply be anywhere that is why you are really taking out of the game and the immersion breaks.

I
iril Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
I agree. The whole idea of a camp, so you can have a place to go back and flesh out during the course of your adventure is nice. But I'd have rather have it as a true world location where you had to travel. Adding instant travel could have been done with mage spells later on, teleportation circle or something like that.

If it is a camp at the location you are, it would make more sense. That would also allow for easy ambushes. Sleeping in a skeleton invested keep could get you awoken in the middle of the night by an attack. Perhaps a 'watch' mechanic could be implemented aswel.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by iril
I agree. The whole idea of a camp, so you can have a place to go back and flesh out during the course of your adventure is nice. But I'd have rather have it as a true world location where you had to travel. Adding instant travel could have been done with mage spells later on, teleportation circle or something like that.

If it is a camp at the location you are, it would make more sense. That would also allow for easy ambushes. Sleeping in a skeleton invested keep could get you awoken in the middle of the night by an attack. Perhaps a 'watch' mechanic could be implemented aswel.

Making camp in the dungeon with limited stuff and just your current party will be fun and can open to some interesting mechanics like ambushes as you said.

-Selling things to a vendor and after you kill them to get everything back. I know its realistic, but this feels very much like an exploit.

Why selling anything in the first place? Just kill the merchant and get the money if you wish.

I
iril Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by AerobicThrone
Why selling anything in the first place? Just kill the merchant and get the money if you wish.

True, you have a point. But I do hope that the notoriety system is well thought out. There have to be consequences for those actions, or it feels odd.

I do wonder if it is logical to have the merchants have the items on them, and not in the chests - bags or other containers usually standing around them. Perhaps I am nitpicking, but somehow it feels off.

Last edited by iril; 18/10/20 12:09 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

I do wonder if it is logical to have the merchants have the items on them, and not in the chests - bags or other containers usually standing around them. Perhaps I am nitpicking, but somehow it feels off.

No this seems like a good change to make. Have the weightier items locked inside various containers near the merchant. Gold and trinkets would be fine to have in the merchants inventory.

apprentice
apprentice

Bug:

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

old hand
old hand

True, you have a point. But I do hope that the notoriety system is well thought out. There have to be consequences for those actions, or it feels odd.

On this note even a lot of indie games put all of merchsnt's loot in locked containers, and you can steal it at night with similar thieving systems to those in Skyrim, but with a chance of getting caught and jailed based on your skill level.

Pickpocketing in D&D is just vastly insufficient and simple compared to something like Kenshi.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 18/10/20 04:03 PM.
I
iril Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

On this note even a lot of indie games put all of merchsnt's loot in locked containers, and you can steal it at night with similar thieving systems to those in Skyrim, but with a chance of getting caught and jailed based on your skill level.

Pickpocketing in D&D is just vastly insufficient and simple compared to something like Kenshi.

Good idea - I would say this way there could be more serious consequences for stealing anything in sight or killing / robbing. This, because you have the option of stealing things at night.

Last edited by iril; 18/10/20 05:07 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Bug:

Originally Posted by Renaire

Err... fiber is good for you...?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls

Bug:

Originally Posted by Renaire

Err... fiber is good for you...?

Maybe the water inside the bucket?

enthusiast
enthusiast

So, to get this out of the way. I very much like BG3 so far. I think Larian is doing a good job. That said, and bugs aside, there are a few things I've found so far that I will list here. As I continue playing I'll add to the list.
These are my opinions by the way, other people might not agree. That is fine.

- The map works really well

You are clearly a more skilled cartographer than I .. .the map drives me buggy

immersion breaking:

- The ability to do a long rest while in a dungeon, where your party just somehow magically appears in the camp seems gimmicky at best.
- Selling things to a vendor and after you kill them to get everything back. I know its realistic, but this feels very much like an exploit.
- Sending things from your inventory to your camp... Useful, but how would that even work? I would have preferred a bag of holding, or a easy to use pocket plain.
Perhaps a doorknob that you can use on a door and if you open the door the room behind is always the same pocket plain?
- The skeleton who can res your players at camp makes dieing feel very inconsequential
- You can eat, and benefit from healing in combat

I agree the "long rest" mechanic is a bit weird; there are so many places where the NPCs had bedrolls out, that I really wish could be used as "camp spots" but I suspect that would be a PITA for the dev's to create forty-zillon camp options. I kind of have in mind a "small camp" idea where we are all huddled around a tiny fire which is bright and the background is obscured behind us and some teeny dialogue .. but again people would object to something about it so it's perhaps just as well.

Clunky mechanic:
- jumping is weird. Many times there is plenty of room and the distance not to far, but still it wont work
- While in buildings and targeting things, sometimes the roof gets in the way (if you are in the tollhouse on the balcony and shooting down for instance)
- If you carry to much you don't noticeably move slower, until you are encumbered. Then you just stop moving.
- Many of the items are easy to forget, like the things you find on the ship. I had little need for any of them, making them seem added mainly as sellable loot.
- Eating heals far to much health, making healers far less needed.

I do agree with most of your comments; and does it seem to anyone else that the health boost from food is increasing with my character's level? Seems odd.

It took me FAR too long to learn about jumping that
1-it's strength based
2-sometimes it's a matter of looking "past" the alleged circle of possible landing spots

apprentice
apprentice
If I may add to the list.

-NPC's attacking you through walls. (I had a fight in the ruins where I surprised a bunch of bandits. ShadowHeart and my warrior were standing in the door and Astarion was inside the room hidden behind the wall.
He couldn't do anything as the path to the bandits was blocked by me and Shadowheart and he couldn't use his bow as bandits were obscured by the wall. Yet, bandit mage and archer were shooting him with no problems from the corridor)

-Inaccessible NPC's on the roofs. (Similar to above in the Abandoned Village - got into fight with a goblin inside the room that aggroed all goblins around. Turned out that a couple of them were sitting on the roof. I got hit by them but I couldn't set the camera so I can shoot back. Clicking/targetting portraits just gives and invalid target message.)

Last edited by Rudal; 18/10/20 09:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rudal

-Inaccessible NPC's on the roofs. (Similar to above in the Abandoned Village - got into fight with a goblin inside the room that aggroed all goblins around. Turned out that a couple of them were sitting on the roof. I got hit by them but I couldn't set the camera so I can shoot back. Clicking/targetting portraits just gives and invalid target message.)

I think others have mentioned this. I thought... if I'm not mistaken... that you COULD do this in previous Larian games, so it should be possible for them to implement - I hope it's planned already.

old hand
old hand
When I had enemies hitting through roofs, I was able to hit them back if I could target them. It gets really frustrating at the Tollhouse fight though if you try to start from high up and then get acid flasks thrown at you from the floor below but still can't select the enemies on your turn.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
You get a brilliant meme moment if you intimidate the two tieflings at the encounter with Lae'zal in the cage. Then as the tieflings walk away, kill the female tiefling. The male will say OH NO! And then continue on his way.

enthusiast
enthusiast

While I agree with you whole heartedly many people would be vehemently against this. It would not be hard to toggle resting on/off in dungeons from a settings menu which may be a solution that pleases both sides.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Argonaut

While I agree with you whole heartedly many people would be vehemently against this. It would not be hard to toggle resting on/off in dungeons from a settings menu which may be a solution that pleases both sides.

What about this as a compromise:

On the overland map, using Long Rest sends you back to camp.

In a dungeon/the underdark/etc, Long Rest is grayed out; but if you clear out a large area, killing all hostiles, it will become unlocked. Using it here puts a campfire in the middle of a room and your current party of 4 sleeps around it. There's a chance for an ambush based on what monsters live in this dungeon when you awaken.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Opposite issue for me with the roof issue, places a bit above you disappear and in one of the three goblin camp bosses i can't seem to see the upper place where some mage or archer climbs upon.

S
stranger
stranger
S

With guard and reputation you could discourage that kind of behavior. But don't forget that some player consider that beeing able to kill anyone (so everyone) is an expected feature.

The limit of inventory of the merchants (or the player's one) and the level inflation reduce the impact as you couldn't fund all your journey by killing a merchant and stealing low level stuff on the first map.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard