Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Fawn Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Here's a list from my three playthoughs of my ranger, rogue and cleric.

Suggestions

1.) Any weapon type that existed in 5e should be consistent in BG3.

Let me elaborate for a second, The first magic item you are likely to discover in the game is The Watcher's Guide. Which is a rad magic item, but suffers from the fact that for some unknow reason all spears lost the versatile quality. Quarterstaffs still have it which have the same hit die and all the versatile martial weapons are unchanged from what I observed. This leaves spears in a really odd place where if you want to use one you have to forsake your shield.

This is a big ask on a character like shadowheart who is the prime candidate for the strength based simple weapons in the game but, has depressingly low AC. So you're better off just buying Dragon's Grasp and keeping your shield strapped on so you don't get squashed.

Lae'el (or strength based fighter or rangers) doesn't really want the item anyway because she might as well keep her longsword and throw on a shield or run a greatsword or maul which has a good chance of dropping in the same room as the Guide or you can trade the guide for once you get to the grove. There are a LOT of magical spears the I tried once and went "but shield..." or "but big maul go smack"

The only reasons I could think to nerf spears like this is the charge attack might be too good if you have a shield or flavor. If you did have to nerf weapon types based on things you added you shouldn't have added them. The decision actively hurts flavor as PC have less choices to make as they are forced into one. It limits the sand box which limits replay value. A good game to think of is Halo CE it's know for it's sandbox and open game design that rewards player choice and problem solving. The weapon combos are up to you and what you find, sure you might be strongly encouraged to use the tank in some parts (or the spear that you practically get shown how to get) but you can steal a ghost and go wild. If someone wants to play a Duel wielding Gith ranger who takes duel wielding at lvl 4 so they can jump around like a tailless whip scorpion with two spears I say let them. Or if someone wants their character to fight like a gladiator or spartan with a shield on one arm and a spear in the other well that's rad.

2.) Please rework the action bar

Mainly the disengage and jump actions really need to be separated. I have taken so many attacks of opportunity only to hop 3 feet and waste a whole turn that its not even funny. I've watch NPCs just disengage no reason we can't. Shove needs to be a full action and we should get an option like when applying hex as to if we want to shove them away or prone. I'd much rather have my cleric try to knock someone prone for the rogue to crit then hit than swing at them with a mace, shortsword or quarterstaff.

3.) The thief's bonus action ability needs a change. I'm not sure how to change it exactly but having played a thief on my last run I'm comfortable saying it's the best subclass in the game. It's like just always having a constant mini haste. Three attacks at level 3 is too strong for 5e's action economy. The only class capable of doing that is monk and two of their attacks don't get the bonus from magical weapons. Why would you play a monk if rogues get more skills, have sneak attack AND don't have to pay for a second bonus action attack.

4.) The headband of intellect needs a draw back because it invalidates int as a stat. Even wizards don't need int. Go gith or dwarf gives you medium armour. You get 14 dex and 15/17 con and 15 cha which means you always good ac, high burst damage in MM, and have a decent damage option level 1 and 2 being your light cross bow. once you get to 3 you just let the ogres throw themselves at something big and you are a level 3 wizard with 18 int, 17 Ac and 23 hp and you only get better once you hit 4 and drop a point into con and charisma to become a demigod. the only thing you lack is wisdom but enermies don't use wisdom save spells often and you have companions that can do perception checks for you. Needs a drawback or to be moved further into the game something along the lines of the poisoners robes or Sorrow. Maybe there are story implication for using it?

5.) A reminder tip during the first auto save on the Nautiloid telling people they need to save their progress frequently.

The auto save system seems to me like it only triggers when loading new areas. And you know what that's OK, completely acceptable. But you don't realise that at first... and here's why.

You just spent 10-90 minutes building a character. You get thrown into the world ready to fight, thrive and learn the laws of the game's universe. You take two steps and you freeze, control is taken from you as the game says "Hi buddy! Hope I'm not bothering you... don't mind me I'm just auto saving because I know how much time and effort you put into making your character perfect. Now go have fun!" Naturally you go "Oh there's auto save? cool I guess I don't need to save too often." This hypothesis is then reinforced as you explore the world around the crash site with each new area triggering a save.

And then you get to the grove "another auto save? Thank god I hardly made it through that fight" you run right along to sell everything you've been hoarding for three levels, meet Wyll, talk to people, try to save a kid, buy a ring of ant resistance (because who knows you might fight some giant ants), be an accessory to the murder of a PoW, watch a fascist murder a child and go to the beach to see a concert. But if you went the beach before all of that and then try kill the fascist well guess what you get to listen to do it alllll over again because you didn't save your progress.

It's essentially misleading game design. It shows an Auto save right away. Which tells people its an auto save kinda game. Lots of games get away with no or bad auto save by calling them checkpoints or straight up saying "SAVE THE GAME MY CHILD!" It's an easy fix just a little pop up window saying "Auto saving is infrequent. Save regularly to prevent lost saved data." and show the quick save button. Teach people to play the game you built not they game they think you did.

6.) Magical weapon and armor cards should have a line that tells you what they're based form is so you can tell which class or race can use it at a glance. Eg.

Dragon's Grasp
Uncommon Hand Axe
simple melee weapon
(normal stuff)

People know you have to hit people with an Axe so that part isn't that important, but knowing which people can swing it well is a little odd with the sandbox changes mentioned earlier leaving you unsure if things are going to follow the rules you thought they would.

7.) Better inventory management.

Oh boy this one is a Biggy and I can't believe I left it this far down the list.

First off a "Drag to Highlight feature". By that I mean like how you can select multiple desktop icons by highlighting them. You click, drag, release and then drag the select items. Would make inventory management far less tedious then dragging every single short sword I looted from my incombered character to my companions so I can keep looting with my deprovision and higher movement speed. Also the option to right click those highlighted items and add all to wears or send all to camp or lea'el or drop all or whatever.

Then you can throw in a button that says "Distribute items" which splits selected items by weight across your companions according to available carrying capacity. This will make it easier dealing with humans being a pain in the but to loot with because your dark vision characters can go loot goblin everything and go "Hey romantically available magic men carry these. Thanks pals. Because trying to do anything with gale in a dungeon after running around as a drow sucks, but not level "two spell slot sucks".

8.) Character Save files. The load system that's in the game rn was outdated 9 years ago when Skyrim launched with it. Each character should have their own private list of saves so it's easy to tell which save is who's. And it should make a new sub header for each new character made. The current model far from user friendly which discourages people from going back to old characters.

9.) Just a pet peeve of mine. The male elves use the same body model as humans which looks really really weird after decades of fantasy and dnd lore sticking too elves being slender, ever youthful twinks. I get it's early access but it put me of playing a male elves because it didn't look like a high elf wizard or wood elf archer. The gith look more elvish then the elves do, besides the face. Hopefully this is just a place holder for when the character creature gets revamped when more races and classes are added, but right now they all look like they should be strength based fighters which is the last thing someone picks an elf for.

Buggs

some bugs or engine limitation I found

Walking up the stone stare case in the right hand side of the goblin camp near the vendor facing towards the forest lead to a big detour and awkward path finding. Made for a shocking round of combat that I should have blitzed otherwise. Similar thing happened on the web bridge in the spider boss arena if you ender up the top pathway onto the stone pillar had too spend a bonus action to jump over a flat surface so I could actually hit the boss. and other weird pathfinding things like walking all the way around a target to hit them. Also this thing that kept happening when selecting the melee attack button and trying use the auto move feature only for it to say I don't have the movement when I do and did when I cancelled the attack and had to click three time to make them go in short straight lines and not taking pointless side steps or massive arcs.

While fighting off the goblin attack on the druid grove my character climbed down the stone ledges on the hill to attack a goblin that was already in melee range. Moving down the ledge ate my action and I didn't get to attack.

While fighting Dror Ragslin I decided to sound the warhorn to summon Lump and co with the plan to have lump and Ragslin wear each other down so I got an easy headband like I did against the spiders. We were making quick work of the adds between my party, the three ogres and a bear, like too quick. So not wanting to fight three ogres after getting focused by Dror Ragslin I did the only sane thing I could. I had my rogue, drink a potion of speed, dash out of the throne room, run across the hallway and I fired a shot at one of priestess Gut's attendants to aggro both rooms so I could get my mileage out of the ogres before I had to put them down. This was a calculated risk... but the game didn't know there was going to be a maths exam. The first thing was the arrow never fired. Once she was in that room she just couldn't do anything while the game tried to comprehend why it had to go on living. I had movement left and an action but none of my inputs would actually take effect. I eventually ended my turn and it just sat there for a while adding everyone to the initiative order I was like "cool. sweet. It's figured it out we're speeding up now." We did not speed up.
Instead me and the game started fighting a war of three fronts. Wyll, shadowheart, Gale and Halsen Vs Dror Ragslin and his crew. My PC a rogue thief with Chock, Fank and Halsin's wolf companion (I summoned it after I long rested from fighting the drow lady. I'm sure you already have that bug being worked on) Vs Priestess Gut and her odd half dozen or so attendants. And Lump who in his infinite wisdom decided to kill the giant spiders in the pit bellow and that random goblin in the cage the next room over. The fight was gruelingly slow with turns taking near twice the time to play out with the game trying to figure out what the heck it was meant to be doing. Some characters wouldn't take their turn unless I panned the camera over them for a few seconds. I kept loosing actions like the first time in dire situations like gut being on 5 Hp after critting my sneak attack and my rogue refusing to take her bonus action attacks. Without reliable use of my bonus actions I retreated up the ladder to the sniper nest overlooking the bridge. At this point my party had finished Dror and had joined me in the hallway. Gut pulled Wyll into the pit and he died from fall damage. Chock was down there too but I never saw how he got there. The other two ogres followed me up the ladder and got stuck with there turns being skipped for two round (that happened a fair bit too) After going back up to retrieve them gut followed and after killing her and the ogres on top of the ladder things finally smoothed out with just a few adds to sweep up. I tried to knock out Spike for the soon to be undead Wyll to deal with but Gale killed him with the restrict effect on Nature's Snare. Which I personally don't like the added power to that mechanic it's already very powerful and it would have been fine but I couldn't speak to the dead spike and later at camp Wyll was like "Hey asshole you killed spike without me" which was annoying because no he died on me.

Last edited by Fawn; 18/10/20 11:44 AM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Too much in one post to elicit a response.
Point 5 reminder to save. Disagree, that is on you.
Point6 and 7 is your biggest ones and they kind of go together. Very much does it need to be managed better. It would be great to select an item and see who can use it with an auto compare feature to what they are using.

veteran
veteran
Hey Fawn, thanks for your input ^.^
A lot of the points you raised have been brought up by many others who agree, but every independent voice who reaches a similar conclusion is worth hearing. it's another point of data for them.

1, 2 and 3 are things that a large portion of people agree with you on, to some extent; poorly implemented weapons, broken action economy, and poorly thought-out tweaks and a UI and control system that is something you have to actively fight against to do what you want, are all regular complaints around here.

I won't get into it again, but there is no problem with the headband; it's a stock standard uncommon magic item straight out of the 5e DMG and it's fine. It loses pretty much all value past level 4 for most characters, and there's a discussion about it elsewhere where it's been explained thoroughly.

The game does set up far more frequent auto-saving in the intro sequence that it does for the rest of the first act, you aren't wrong there - and I can definitely understand that setting a false expectation. Telling people to save regularly won't really help that if the unconscious expectation of autosaves as frequent as in the intro is already there in someone's mind. Going against the grain a bit here - I think they should autosave LESS in the intro, just so that that expectation isn't likely to form. Have a quick tut that mentions the three types of saves, and sets up the knowledge that autosaves only happen at particular points, and that the player should save more often.

Pathing, movement and enemy AI are also big complaints from many others, and you'll find few arguments here about it - they need a lot of work - but thanks for taking the time to add this write up!

stranger
stranger
I actually agree with the autosave.

We could get a quick save button, that would help lots.

Link Copied to Clipboard