Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
G
stranger
stranger
G
I do be missing 80% chance to hits 6 times out of 7 in one turn.
And this do be happening with some frequency.
I've just learned to roll with it.
It's quite a laugh sometimes.

(edit - a laugh in an all you can do is laugh kind of way, I'm not actually complaining about the system, it's part of the fun)

Last edited by GalexMystra; 18/02/24 04:43 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eddiar
30% I understand.
50% I also understand.
But 75% and over? Really?
I’ve been playing roleplaying games (with actual dice ☺) for over 30 years now, and I’ve seen some wild swings of chance.

Someone rolling 5 sixes in a row on a six sided die when attacking a nemesis the first time — and repeating the same on the second attack. The probabilities of that are wild (to be precise: 1 / 7776 for the first — it was a called shot: „you’re dead“, one to 60 million for repeating that in the next action). It still happens in real life.

I’ve also seen knights fail to hit anything in a whole fight with 80% hit chance (16 on a d20) while the mage just walzed through enemies with a critical in at every turn. I guess that that’s why fudge point mechanics are popular these days.

Last edited by ArneBab; 18/02/24 04:32 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Very high DC's?

There's a handful of doors I know that take a DC30 to lockpick.

But, you know.
Get your high dex character with sleitgh of hand proficiency [expertise], guidance, cat's grace, Bardic Inspiration and presto. Maybe roll twice.
Failing all that..... KNOCK. But those instances are stupidly rare. I'm actually surprised there are *so* many DC10 locks everywhere that your 10Dex Cleric can lockpick. What's the point of having a thief these days? Or rather, why do people in this world bother with locking things?

Now, certain dialogue choices are high, for sure - convincing that Red Dude to join your team instead of his boss' team. But that *should* be hard and only possible if you're the smoothest talker since Christopher HItchens. Then again, these DC's are at the very end of the game, too - where you have sufficient means to boost your abilities.

And, there is of course a handful of the 99 rolls. Those can only be succeeded on a nat 20; but that too is by design. You know, 'resist the big bad' or 'lockpick the most secure vault door on the Sword Coast'

I wasn't talking about doors or chests. For a DC30 there is still Knock. That Mr. Y. is difficult to convince makes a lot of sense. It's mainly some perception checks where you skip content. Why? What makes it great to seal of parts of the game by random events? Or the scene where the game tries to change your appearance. Some name it consequences, I name it garbage.

Early after release you needed a very high number to save Shadowheart, a 30, that's seemingly toned down. I wanted very much to save her and I rolled one of the two 20 I got in my first playthough at this event. But I still was not very satisfied about the design.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by geala
I wasn't talking about doors or chests. For a DC30 there is still Knock. That Mr. Y. is difficult to convince makes a lot of sense. It's mainly some perception checks where you skip content. Why? What makes it great to seal of parts of the game by random events? Or the scene where the game tries to change your appearance. Some name it consequences, I name it garbage.

Early after release you needed a very high number to save Shadowheart, a 30, that's seemingly toned down. I wanted very much to save her and I rolled one of the two 20 I got in my first playthough at this event. But I still was not very satisfied about the design.

Yeah, I finally gave up on RNG for perception in WotR and just set toybox to take a 20 on everything out of combat.

Still leave rng for combat, that keeps things spicy.

addict
addict
D&D D20 is an old annoying un-flexible system. Too bad Larian had design the game through that.

There are SO MANY better and more interesting P&P dice systems. Savage Worlds for example.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 21/02/24 11:41 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ldo58
It would be nice if someone could create a mod that either collects all the rolls during gameplay and saves them somewhere, or generates a few (tens-, hundred-) thousand rolls and saves a report. After 900 hrs of gameplay i also cannot shrug off the idea that the dice rolls are lower than they statisctically should be for an unloaded D20.
I have been recording my current play through, and every time I MISS I pause the action for a moment and pull up the combat log to highlight just why I failed. I had a Lae'zel monk CRIT MISS 3 times out of 4 the other night. That is rolling a 1, on a 2 x 20-sided dice (Disadvantage), 3 times in a turn. Statistically speaking, I should be playing a lottery right now.

[Linked Image from mmoemulators.com]

You will never convince me "welp, that's just the roll of the dice, matey."

I understand difficulty chance (DC), but I swear I have noticed patterns that when a REALLLLLYYYY IMPORRRANNNTTT conversation is being rolled, with a DC of 10 (TEN!!!) I will 100% of the time (in Honour Mode) roll 2 x 20 and get a 3 and a 6. Not once has it EVER rolled above the DC on a REALLLLLYYYY IMPORRRANNNTTT conversation check. Something is wrong; this cannot just be "roll of the dice".

In a video I made, I laughingly said in Honour Mode, all my dice rolls must be divided by 100. Because failing at everything is clearly how to make the game "more challenging".

Last edited by John Adams; 12/03/24 12:34 AM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I have essentially quit playing the game. It's just not worth it and when a game is no fun....why bother.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard