Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Okay so the Karlach quest comes down to do I believe Karlach that the servants of Tyr are actually a cult working in the service of a devil or do I believe that the (supposed) servants of Tyr are right that Karlach murdered a household without provocation.

I should be able to use detect thoughts, tadpole, sense motive, detect lies or something other than "I guess I gotta believe someone".

Slight spoiler....
f you picked up the amulet for talking with the dead in the Dank Crypt where the Hooded Skeleton is, there is a dead body in the Tyr house that you can talk to. It's still a little obscure, but enough of a hint that it let me figure out which side I wanted to take.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Okay so the Karlach quest comes down to do I believe Karlach that the servants of Tyr are actually a cult working in the service of a devil or do I believe that the (supposed) servants of Tyr are right that Karlach murdered a household without provocation.

I should be able to use detect thoughts, tadpole, sense motive, detect lies or something other than "I guess I gotta believe someone".

Can always speak with dead with one of the corpses in the building with the servants of Tyr

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ahh! Thanks!

old hand
old hand
Yes, wee need a more options in this quest. One of them is to enlist in the service of demons, knowing that they are demons, and to receive a demonic reward from them and the prospect of further quests. When I tried to talk about knowing their secret, they just attacked, this is not right.

At this stage, the only logical conclusion of the quest is to help the tiefling girl, there is no motivation to help the "paladins"

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Didn't think of speaking with the dead guy there, I sided with Karlach simply because my character's a Tiefling, too, plus the "Evil guys disguised as the good guys" is too cliché.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yes, wee need a more options in this quest. One of them is to enlist in the service of demons, knowing that they are demons, and to receive a demonic reward from them and the prospect of further quests. When I tried to talk about knowing their secret, they just attacked, this is not right.

At this stage, the only logical conclusion of the quest is to help the tiefling girl, there is no motivation to help the "paladins"

they're not demons. they made a pact with a devil. the lead guy is a fallen paladin, a former champion of tyr. the reward is his old sword. He was ordered by his patron (Zariel) to return her soldier who went AWOL in lieu of Zariel taking his own soul. He said that when Tyr did not answer his prayers, Zariel did, to give him the power to save his people when his own god did not. In a way he's not that different from Wyll, who was ordered by his patron (Mizora) to help her escape in lieu of his own soul. He just seems like an ultimately nice dude who's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by dza101; 19/10/20 04:01 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would also like to modify her physical look.

She doesn't look that unique or impressive compared to the other companions.
She looks like the stock custom character that you are displayed with.

Something hints that she will look different. The paladin's described her with only 1 horn, but she has two... so hopefully they give her a makeover.
Honestly the camp tieflings look better than she does!

Last edited by Eddiar; 19/10/20 04:11 AM.
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Also, last I heard, Detect Thoughts hadn't been implemented yet. But there's also a passive Religion roll I failed in that conversation. I'm GUESSING that it has to do with the fact that
demons and devils don't ever work together so their assertion that a "devil" is working with gnolls (demons) is a bit suspect.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by dza101
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

they're not demons. they made a pact with a devil. the lead guy is a fallen paladin, a former champion of tyr. the reward is his old sword. He was ordered by his patron (Zariel) to return her soldier who went AWOL in lieu of Zariel taking his own soul. He said that when Tyr did not answer his prayers, Zariel did, to give him the power to save his people when his own god did not. In a way he's not that different from Wyll, who was ordered by his patron (Mizora) to help her escape in lieu of his own soul. He just seems like an ultimately nice dude who's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The "nice" guy chose to sacrifice someone's else soul so he could save his own (there is even a dialogue option about it). Doesn't sound like a nice guy to me. Plus he lied about Karlah.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
And Wyll willingly tortures a guy because Spike promises to give information of the whereabouts of his patron so that he could ultimately save his own soul. He even originally claims to you that he wants to go to the goblin camp to save kids (when it was really about getting out of his pact). Does that make him evil?

There's shades of grey all around.

Last edited by dza101; 19/10/20 04:24 AM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
And Wyll willingly tortures a guy because Spike promises to give information of the whereabouts of his patron so that he could ultimately save his own soul. He even originally claims to you that he wants to go to the goblin camp to save kids (when it was really about getting out of his pact). Does that make him evil?

It doesn't make him a nice guy, that's for sure

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I'm just saying there is no clear-cut "good" option here. He's no worse than many of your own companions, including the one who's apparently the most "good".

Last edited by dza101; 19/10/20 04:26 AM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'm just saying there is no clear-cut "good" option here. He's no worse than many of your own companions, including the one who's apparently the most "good".

I agree that he is not worse than Wyll (I've never considered him the most "good', always thought he was the worst). But between Karlah and paladin the good option would be Karlah. Karlah told her story honestly and paladin is lying selfish bastard.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
This quest overall is kinda buggy... I killed the group and if I go talk to her I keep going through the same cycle of conversation afterward.

Link Copied to Clipboard