Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
H
Harry7T Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
1) missing on 90% hit chance?
2) following that hit with 1d10 attack doing 1 damage?
3) following that hit by 'critical' miss
Come on devs.. i want to build strong characters... Atleast put in pseudo random rng mechanics. So when a person is really trying to kill a mob he eventually gets him on his 3rd hit 100% of the time. smile
Tldr;
This game should feel 80% like a strategy game and 20% like poker simulator. Or else ppl will stick to save scumming instead of enjoying this game in a fluid manner.
OR HIDE ALL RNG UI STUFF

Last edited by Harry7T; 19/10/20 08:35 AM.
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
DnD is RNG.

90% means 10% chance to miss. 1d10 means doing somewhere between 1-10 damage. Nothing unintuitive about it. It’s all about tipping those rolls in your favour.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Italy
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Italy

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Depends on your intuition. For me, everything seems intuitive and normal for a D20 based game.

Joined: Oct 2020
H
Harry7T Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
I understand being a dnd follower you wish to be very rigid when it comes to rng. Randomness can lead to a lot of replayability. That seems to be the model...
Request: topic close pls.

Last edited by Harry7T; 19/10/20 10:25 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Mythago
Depends on your intuition. For me, everything seems intuitive and normal for a D20 based game.


Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the RNG but for a smoother player experience Larian might want to look at tweaking the monster stats a bit.

Joined: Oct 2020
H
Harry7T Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Dont get me wrong. I fell in love with this game long time back.
Got my astarion to lvl3 and wanted to make him arcane tricskter asap. I had to go kill the ogres in blight town. Got up the planks to intiate combat. Those ogres kept throwing stuff around them to break the planks and drop me to the lower floor. They did succeed 4th turn, till then 2 of them were down. Mind u guys u can plant some explosive barrels or do funky things and improvise. But there are algorithms to smoothen out the rng factor, IDK , a thing to consider...


EDIT: Extra int didnt increase my spell slots, 9 into to 18 must increase the number of spells i should be able to use per rest right? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Harry7T; 19/10/20 10:47 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
T
stranger
Offline
stranger
T
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Mythago
Depends on your intuition. For me, everything seems intuitive and normal for a D20 based game.


This. People generally have pretty bad intuition for probabilities. I'm an academic probabilist, and at university open days and the like we often play statistics games that capitalize on people's inability to intuitively understand random systems. It's quite rare to find someone who has a good intuition for randomness, which takes a lot of exposure to develop.

Game's randomisation seems fine to me.



Joined: Oct 2020
H
Harry7T Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
What do you think of introducing pseudo rng where it doubles your chance (or increases by a certain percentage amount) if you miss. Your next strike will be more accurate.
Ex. 1st hit has 40% to hit followed by second- 80% if the 1st hit misses. 2nd still has a 20% chance to miss if rngods dont really favor your character. But 3rd has 160% chance to hit if 2nd consecutively misses. Probably a crit! Now we are talking this with a 100% increment. This can be set to any values by the devs.
You could even script lines which follows such events. Like : 1st hit miss: Arrgh!! I missed! I will get you next time! (Arrogant tone and cutscene expression)
2hit miss: Hold still will you! (Optimistic tone)
3rd hit misses: I should go back to the drawing board. (Pessimistic tone and flustered expression in cutscene)

Last edited by Harry7T; 19/10/20 11:42 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
T
stranger
Offline
stranger
T
Joined: Oct 2020
What you're describing is a Markov chain. It could work to implement something like that, but I'd suggest that it should be associated with lower difficulty settings. Personally I like it how it is.

Joined: Oct 2020
H
Harry7T Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
It doesnt throw out rng when it comes to first encounters. As in conversations or sneak attacks, one shot spells. But characters depending on multiple instances to function wont seem as bad. Although it can translate into conversations where you can fail an attempt to persuade but still get a second chance where you have an advantage but failing 2nd chance angers the npc to even go and attack you!

Last edited by Harry7T; 19/10/20 12:19 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
It feels awkward when I keep rolling 1-7 on conversation dice rolls... when there's a check that says, say, 14, I feel like it's more of a chance of 1 in 10 than 1 in 4 to roll it well..
Do you think these rolls are rigged?

Last edited by GloriousZote; 19/10/20 12:18 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
H
Harry7T Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by GloriousZote
It feels awkward when I keep rolling 1-7 on conversation dice rolls... when there's a check that says, say, 14, I feel like it's more of a chance of 1 in 10 than 1 in 4 to roll it well..
Do you think these rolls are rigged?

This is what i mean.
Nothing is rigged, you are just unlucky!
U want this game to be fun. Series of 10 failures attributed to gods doesnt seem FUN.
I am not advocating removal of rng, but to smoothen it out when it comes to series of failures.
I have seen many streamers on twitch reload thier quick save coz they cant focus fire a threat. This game is too random for strategy.

Last edited by Harry7T; 19/10/20 12:28 PM.
Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Again 90% hit chance still means 10% fail chance.

People are simply going to notice negative results like missing at that chance more so than they would if they had hit with a 10% chance.

There is nothing wrong here, just the same old 'If it said 90% I should have hit!!!'.

No, if it said 90% and you missed, bad luck, you rolled within the 10% miss margin.

If you had a 10% chance to hit and managed to hit 5 times in a row, would you ever complain? My guess is not only you wouldn't but you even wouldn't care to notice.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 19/10/20 12:36 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2014
It's D&D, I also think think this is a backwater system, despite the ravings of 5e fans, but Larian is forced to make a game based on rulings WoTC set, so there is little to do here.

IMO Larian made heroic efforts already to tame much of 5e annoyances, whether it's more actions on average per turn, adjusted monster stats to reduce AC and more ways to do semi-guaranteed damage/effects, but in the end, after all said and done - we will roll that bloody dice and we will look at 80% hit rates as a blessing, even if it means 1/5 of our attacks/spells/actions will go to waste and quite a few times in the least opportune moments.

Nothing to do here.


If you ask me, WoTC should have dropped d20 years ago and went with d12 as base.

Last edited by Gaidax; 19/10/20 01:03 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
It works okay for me. I still yell "How could you miss! You're standing right next to him!" as much as anyone else, but I understand how the dice rolls work. It's not difficult to imagine the enemy made a successful dodge.

I can understand why some players would get frustrated with it, especially if you're not winning most encounters fairly easily. Personally, I like the way it makes combat a little more unpredictable, compared to game systems where percentage-to-hit is a more solid prediction.

Joined: Oct 2020
H
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Harry7T
1) missing on 90% hit chance?
2) following that hit with 1d10 attack doing 1 damage?
3) following that hit by 'critical' miss
Come on devs.. i want to build strong characters... Atleast put in pseudo random rng mechanics. So when a person is really trying to kill a mob he eventually gets him on his 3rd hit 100% of the time. smile
Tldr;
This game should feel 80% like a strategy game and 20% like poker simulator. Or else ppl will stick to save scumming instead of enjoying this game in a fluid manner.
OR HIDE ALL RNG UI STUFF

The fact is,

Mathematic is an exact science. The most exact one, actually.

People intuition isn't.


If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5