First, let me introduce myself. I'm 33, I played BG since I was 11 and for many, many, many years with a lot of mods and in a lot of ways.
Also, I'm french so please, forgive my bad writing. I just want to maximize the chance to be read by Larian.
So, here we go (and sorry, I'm a little chatty).
In a general point of view, when I heard about a BG3 I was just like interiorly crazy happy. When I heard it was Larian, I was pretty happy, a little septikal but happy.
I played a lot of games : witchers 1, 2, 3 Pillars of eternity 1 and 2, Tyranny, Numerama, Wasteland 2 and 3, divinity origin 1 and 2, BG 1, 2, ToB, ID 1 and 2, Elemental temple and some others I forgot right now. The point is, I kinda love the RPG with great stories, etc.
So what about this BG3 ?
After playing more than 30 hours and being close to the end, here is my opinion : Larian, I loved divinity origin (the 2 more) BUT what was good in divinity isn't in BG. And I say it after playing the early access. I say it not cause I have somethting againt divinity (agian, I loved them) but because it's (in my point of view) a fact. And you can't just take a licence and don't respect some of is major elements. Again, I love divinity, but isn't divinity and right now, when I'm playing BG3, it's like I was playing a divinity game with a BG3 decorum, it's a little inconfortable.
Here we go from the most important point (for me) to the minor one (obviously this is just my point of view but I'm pretty confident it is a good one)
1) GIVE ME BACK THE CLICK AND DRAG !!!
It's a recurrent topic on this forum, I saw it and I can't agree more. This is sooooo annoying to have my companion following me like dumb dogs, moving for each millimeter I move, going everywhere and stupidly where they shouldn't. It's absolutely not confortable to have to click on a portrait and drag it out and then move every companion and reclick the portrait and drag on another one... It's just NOT CONFORTABLE. And I get it, it's for console gamer but could we remember BG was and should be, at first, a PC license. So, make the adjustement for the console gamer but don't screw the comfort of the PC gamer... It's really bad and it participates to make the experience less funny (to not say a little annoying).
2) GIVE ME BACK THE ACTIVE PAUSE !!!
I remembered when I listen the video of Larian talking about turn-based, they said it was "more strategic". So I thougth "Yeaaaaah... Don't think so but stay open-minded and let's see..." So I tried BG3 with a really open-mind and I can say "no, this is not cool dudes, not cool..." Why ? Let me tell you why in my point of view.
The fights are just soooooooooooooooo long. Ok, I find turn-based usefull for big and hard fight, not necesseraly essential but usefull... BUT for the major parts of the fights ? It's just so damn long and NOT EPIC.
My best exemple is when I come back by the teleport point in the goblin village just to clean it (I had already killed the three bosses). So I tp and the fight began... There was like 15-20 goblins who want me dead. It could have been epic, my team at the top of the wall, shooting arrows and spells on a hord of goblins trying to reahc us ! Epic ! BUT IT WASN'T !!! Why ??? Cause it was so sadly loooooong and sloooooow and booooring.... Like "goblin move, goblin move, goblin move, goblin move, goblin move, my companion miss a shot, goblin move, goblin move, goblin move, goblin move, I shot, goblin move, goblin move, goblin move..." for like..... A ridiculously long time !
So here is my proposition : Keep the turn-base thing, but let the player choose !
Sometimes I just want to see an epic fight, I don't want to play chess ! Make the possibilit for the mages to auto-used their basic spell and let the fight in real-time. i'll pause when I feel the need to readjust my strategy or I just enjoy the view of my team shooting arrows and spells !!
Because it was A BIG PART OF THE FUN IN BG ! Looking at my guys hitting like crazy on a freaking dragon, crossing fingers for them to actually hit it ! THE EPICNESS !
Give me back the epicness and the flow of the game. The all in turned-based is just so slow. Don't be wrong, I liked it on divinity but it's jsut another game. In divinity, you had a lot of action's point, you could do a lot of things in one round. In BG, you just ridiculously wait to.... hit once. I don't really see why it's more "strategic" at this point...
And I know, people will say "it's a Larian game, it's their style". So I repeat : "I love divinity, but BG is not a divinity game, so I Larian want to do another divinity-game, go on, but don't call it BG, cause it's not.
Turn-based is cool for planning hard fight, but it kill all the epicness of all the fights, even the hard one...
3) boxes, chests, bags... everywhere... No, Larian, just don't please. Much as I needed time to make my opinion about the turned-base opinion, I immediately feel bored by your love of the useless boxes... AGAIN, it was ok in divinity but it was different, it was random loot, there was the thrill, etc. But here, this is BG, I want to discover and learn where are every awesome stuff of the game, but more I DONT WANT TO OPEN 1******* EMPTY BOXES, BARRELS, CHESTS, ETC !!!! It's not FUN. Really. Not fun. What was ok in divinity is not here cause you are not doing another divinity-game. So please, could you like... Close 90% of the useless recipient ? I'm not against some useless recipient time to time, but at every corner of the game... I jsut discouraged me. Don't want to open any chests at all... Not fun. Long. Boring.
4) The companions are cool for me. I except a lot more of them obviously cause, you know, it's BG and it's a big part of the fun, a lot of companions for a lot of different adventures. By the way, I agree with all the people who asked for 6 of them. I saw some people talking about D&D and rules of the 5°, etc... I heard you but 2 facts : first a game is about fun and it's more fun to have 6 than 4, second I'm not there to play a perfect reincarnation of the D&D rules, I'm here to play a videogame inspired by D&D and fun. So, if BG 1 and 2 did it with 6 guys, I'm prtty sure it's doable.
5) The companions, again ! I said I like them and it's true. Nevertheless... One thing bored me. At the party after the victory against the goblin, Gale, Wyll and Astarion all wanna have sex with me.. I have nothing against sex but guys... We know each other for like... 5 days ? Seriously ? Is the fantasy world full of sex-addict ? Is it a giant orgy-party ? I think it's a bit too much. Having one guy (or girl) starving for sex, meh, ok. But all of them. Please... It's too fast ! I mean I REALLY LOVE romance in game... But if romance is just about being nice with somebody and - BAM - sex 5 days later, it's just sad, really sad. Not romantic at all.
More, after reading some topics, I discovered the companions would date pretty everything, girls, boys, dwarf, tieffelin... (Am I wrong ? Did I missread ?). I think it's not cool. I mean, I have nothing against bisexuality of everything but does it mean everybody should be bisexual and have absolutely no race preference (and I'm talking about fantasy race !) ? I think it'll be more credible if this one or another prefer the halfling or the elf or whatever you want. But making them love absolutely anybody make them... inconsistant.
6) I'm not fond of the roll-dice stuff. I know it's D&D but hey, you know what ? I don't really care D&D. I didn't play BG1 and 2 thinking "ho cool it's D&D !" I didn't even know what it was at the time. So, don't give me the "it's D&D". It's a videogame, inspired, based on D&D, D&D must be an inspiration, not a prison cell keeping all creativity and smartness imprison... So, I say it again, I don't like the roll-dice thing in the conversation. It feel sooooo random.. SOOO RANDOM, it's just.. I don't find it funny. I don't feel I was better in one or another skill. I just feel like, "meh, 7/15/2/13, who care's the dice just gonna slap me in the face no matter my masteries...". But I get it, some people think it's fun. Not me. I prefer by far the skills who unlocked some answer than the skill who give you "-1" on the dice results...
7) It'll be the last, I promess ! I love the fact that the camera zoom on people when we talk with them. I love it and at the same time I wonder. Is it really ever necesary ? I thougth for myself did I really need to see the merchants faces ? Is it really an improvement ? I'm not sure... I love see face of important people or during important event. I loved the face of the gith with his red dragon. But is it good expenses to give me the opportunity to see some random goblins face's ? I don't know.
To conclude and as I said in the beginning, I think Larian want to put too much of Divinity in BG and it's a big mistake from my point of view. If you want to revive a famous game, you have to respect his fondamentals : 6 guys, active pause, not freaking thousands of useless empty boxes. I tried BG3 with an open-mind but I'm a BG fan. I know why I loved this game so much and so I know why Larian is mistaking.
Please, heard me, I'll play your futur divinity game with PLEASURE. But right now, you're doing BG3. It's a pause active game, with click and drag and 6 dudes adventuring. Please, respect it (btw BG could be turned-based there was this option to have an automatic pause every round, so... see ?).
You can keep doing the game the way you want and I'm sure a lot of people will love it but ? Will it be a good BG successor or will it be a Divinity game with BG attire ?
Don't make the mistake. BG is more than just an attire, more than just an universe. It's a gameplay which you can improve but you should respect a little.
Give me epicness (just saw this word didn't excit ! O my god T.T, feel so bad... ERRATA : Epic, not epicness, really sry dudes...).
I trust you guys, I buy your early access, I did a review (which I never did before), I keep faith. So, do the right thing. Give the pause active (while keeping the turn-based too), give me a click and drag (which mean a gameplay design for PC gamers) and forgot your delirium of empty chests !
Thx you for trying to revive this game, trust you guys, so trust me.