Next Thread
Print Thread
#706395 19/10/20 10:44 AM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Just like the players can move their characters at the same time if they are right after one another in the turn order - The AI should also be allowed to do that. It will speed up the game for large battles. If the player loses their situational awareness because of it they could look at the combat log (if the log could somehow be enhanced) to regain it.

If theres 3+ npcs turn in a row they might be able to take their turn simultaneously - or maybe even 2+.

Suggestions for enhancing the combat log: Create a "hyperlink" to the character name in the combatlog. With a mouseover it highlights the character if it is on the screen. With a click you move your camera to the character. Options to select what pops up in the combatlog and filters like "actions by x" or "actions against x".

It might feel chaotic for players in some fights, but after a few big encounters I think most players will get used to quickly reassess their new situation even though they didnt see every little thing that happened in between their own turns.

Anyone else thinks the game could benefit from this?

People already complain about the crashing, this sounds like it will crash a lot more during combat :P.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I have no doubt Larian will fix the crash issues they currently have as well as new ones should they arise. Either because of implementing these suggestions or not laugh

L
Lyn Offline
stranger
stranger
L
Many people gave feedback about that.
There is plenty of talented people at Larian, they will find a way to make the combat system feel better as long as it recognized as a real issue

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Good to hear people already suggested something alone these lines - makes it more probable that they see it.

It feels like the posts containing constructive criticism are drowned out by posts that contain none/complaints about what the game isnt even thou Larian stated how and why they envisioned the game as they have.

Last edited by TastyThai; 19/10/20 12:49 PM. Reason: Autocorrect typo
B
stranger
stranger
B
One of the downsides of using unity, is some things are easier to do then others. This would be an example of a rather difficult problem.

P
P
FWIW I like it like it is.

bgfan89 #706647 19/10/20 01:42 PM
veteran
veteran
AI's moving together will still need to calculate their moves and actions whether or not they move at the same time. And the more enemies moving at once the harder it'll be for the player to keep track of and plan for.

Originally Posted by bgfan89
One of the downsides of using unity, is some things are easier to do then others. This would be an example of a rather difficult problem.

Why mention Unity, because this is not a Unity engine game.

Stabbey #708565 20/10/20 02:18 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I do not think the time AI used to calculate it's move is equivalent to the time it takes for the animation to finish- so if it's possible it would speed up the combat considerably.

As for keeping track of multiple moving characters at once you are right. The only advantage lost will be the thought process a player does as he sees the each individual character take their turn. That temporary plan usually gets tossed out the window anyways as more and more characters finish their turn.

It's basically trading time watching the AI do their thing vs the time players need to assess their new situation and formulate a plan. Imo it promotes time players are engaged vs passive time.

+1

journeyman
journeyman
I think if you can make decisions for the NPC's, simultaneous actions is not really manageable. Also it breaks initiative. Now, if you can set NPC Ai to do things on their own and not command them, yeah, I can see an argument where it is multiple player npc's back to back getting their actions at the same time, or more accurately, running in parallel.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
@seikojin I did not understand what you were trying to say at all frown

This is about the enemy npcs, which you are not able to control at all. I
also dont see how it could break initiative as it follows it.

Last edited by TastyThai; 20/10/20 05:09 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard