Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Been vegan for 5 years, due to health problems gone full vegetarian for about 7years (in total I haven't touched meat/fish for about 12 years now) and I really don't care about pixel food. All I care about is that it heals me in game and takes the damned weight off my chars bags, what was it, pork head or chops weight 20kg? Are you kidding me??

So while your idea might be nice, honestly, I would entirely remove food healing us from the game. Sure, for RP reasons or some hardcore realistic mode (I believe POE1 or 2 had modes where you had to eat food or you'd die), food can stay but it shouldn't heal us. Makes clerics pretty much redundant... like hp potions still have some use.

just wanted to make sure the game doesn't offend vegans' feelings when they are forced to eat virtual meat to replenish their health.
Food is needed, health potions need to be saved, rest is not often, cleric's mana is not infinite

A possible solution for vegetarians who are offended by this opportunity is to give meat to other companions, and the main character only has vegetarian food

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I do for my characters what is fitting for them.

I really want to play my Wood Elf as an Elder Scrolls Wood Elf though... eating only meat because they revere all plants.

But my fellow adventurers are health potions certified vegan?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Given that we all know that magic potions require eye of newt and toe of frog, a vegan adventurer is going to struggle with potions.

Yes, I know that the latest theory is that the witches' ingredients are simply contemporary folk names for herbs and plants. That's not as funny, though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
just wanted to make sure the game doesn't offend vegans' feelings when they are forced to eat virtual meat to replenish their health.
Food is needed, health potions need to be saved, rest is not often, cleric's mana is not infinite

A possible solution for vegetarians who are offended by this opportunity is to give meat to other companions, and the main character only has vegetarian food

Ehhhhhhhhhh, in this day and age anyone can be offended by anything. But I don't think hardcore and casual RPG players care much really. Also, mana? laugh There is no mana in D&D bro, you learn and prepare spells, also, technically speaking, you can rest infinitely in BG3 with no consequences. I think you play too many other RPGs/MMOs. wink

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Given that we all know that magic potions require eye of newt and toe of frog, a vegan adventurer is going to struggle with potions.

Yes, I know that the latest theory is that the witches' ingredients are simply contemporary folk names for herbs and plants. That's not as funny, though.

Not everything is so simple with potions. If you think about it, for example a potion of strength, when consumed by a character, causes certain changes in the body, it can be considered as a drug that induces an adrenaline rush like methamphetamine. Does this mean that you can use drugs in the game?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
D
D
The ability to communicate does not equate to intelligence, as demonstrated by people all over the world.

old hand
old hand
I eat just chicken and fish for meat but not all the time, like 1-2 times a month.

I use beans for protein on most days because they are cheaper.

addict
addict
just wow ......this is even a thread ...brilliant I love it !

Imagine what it would be like if we could speak to plants then?

S
veteran
veteran
S
I have a counter argument.

Give us a system to EAT any thinking life in the game.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Sordak
I have a counter argument.

Give us a system to EAT any thinking life in the game.

That makes a lot of sense for some of the races that might potentially be playable. The obvious ones, such as half-orcs and dragonborn, might follow their less 'civilised' half and happily eat anything that was available. Beyond that, though, I completely see evil members of other sentient races being happy to eat other sentients, even if not actually being cannibals (i.e. eating their own race). In the early days of AD&D, a half-orc character tended to view a halfling on the party as travelling emergency rations.

Followers of Bhaal or Malar might even indulge as part of their ceremonies. Those following devils and demons, likewise.

I doubt very such that we will see such a system implemented in BG3, however. It might be a step too far for some.

Last edited by Sadurian; 22/10/20 10:34 AM.
V
V
Wouldn't it be more accurate that you are not really "talking", but merely that you are communicating with them on their level, via understanding their mimic and behaviour? This has little to do with animal intelligence, just one's own intelligence and knowledge allowing for deeper personal insight into animals and manipulating them in this way.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Can I use the Spell "Talk with Animals" and "Talk with the Dead" at the same time to talk to the pig's head in my inventory and learn about its fate?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

Can I use the Spell "Talk with Animals" and "Talk with the Dead" at the same time to talk to the pig's head in my inventory and learn about its fate?

Don't talk to dead pig heads. They tend to be a bit of a boar.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly this game cranks up animal intelligence to an extremely unreasonable degree. The way squirrels talk to the player is just as silly as if they would have a strength score of 18 and capable of yeeting dwarfs.

Animals talking shouldn't go past: "me hungry", "cave there", "me afraid" etc. Otherwise it's not an animal anymore, those animals would've integrated into the society a long time ago, would learn the language etc. When I meet a squirel like that my question is why is it not selling potions at the camp? Why isn't it carrying a pouch with nuts and gold coins?

Originally Posted by Sadurian
this raises that long-debated question over what constitutes cannibalism in a fantasy world

Same as in the real world: eating your own species. Your species is who you can procreate with to pass on your genes.

Not everything is so simple with potions. If you think about it, for example a potion of strength, when consumed by a character, causes certain changes in the body, it can be considered as a drug that induces an adrenaline rush like methamphetamine. Does this mean that you can use drugs in the game?

Yes it is exactly the same as using drugs. You can use drugs in this game.

Last edited by Kadajko; 22/10/20 12:28 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
Imagine what it would be like if we could speak to plants then?

Well I just cut up the excess growth on my mint plant and will make it into pesto later, but if plants could talk would it feel pain?

Though the lower leaves and stems were starting to die because it had gotten too big so it needed cutting.

Mint, butter, mozzarella cheese, almonds and cashews mushed up and into a jar. Getting some living Basil and Parsley soon along with pine nuts and parmesan cheeze blocks, but they are harder to grow.

Hmmm what the heck do vegans even do without dairy? Its already going to be full of crushed nut paste, what else would they substitute for the cheese? Can use oil instead of butter.

I keep forgetting to buy a food processor, I've been doing it by hand in a mortar and pestle so far.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 22/10/20 02:12 PM.
stranger
stranger

I have a question for vegans:
Do you have any displeasure with eating meat in the game to replenish your health, preferring apples, rest and health potions? Or does it not matter to you if the meat is virtual?

I avoid it if it's not required as even though it's not real animals, the idea still repulses me. Besides, the icons for fruits and vegetables are much more colourful and appealing to me than a slab of animal flesh or whatever. I also tend to play druids so it fits with my druid characters mind set anyway. xD

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tawkami

I have a question for vegans:
Do you have any displeasure with eating meat in the game to replenish your health, preferring apples, rest and health potions? Or does it not matter to you if the meat is virtual?

I avoid it if it's not required as even though it's not real animals, the idea still repulses me. Besides, the icons for fruits and vegetables are much more colourful and appealing to me than a slab of animal flesh or whatever. I also tend to play druids so it fits with my druid characters mind set anyway. xD

But carnivorism is a part of nature's balance.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
[quote=Tawkami]

But carnivorism is a part of nature's balance.

Yes, and carnivores fulfil that function. Most playable races are omnivores, like humans.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard