Page 1 of 2 1 2
#706994 19/10/20 04:25 PM
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
the title says it all... these guys easily deal 50 damage or more per turn, and can give themselves advantage. please don't give them 2 or even 3 attacks per turn...
(I have seen a few people saying they think its easy, and if you're one of them... good for you, but the majority of people I have seen agree that the fight is too hard)

veteran
veteran
It's hard, but possible.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
yeah I know its possible, I have also, after many tries, succeeded. I still think it should be nerved.

enthusiast
enthusiast
With the party at lvl 5 it becomes a much more fair fight so I don't think it should be nerfed, its just an EA issue.

Necromancy is just recycling...
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Druid_NPC
With the party at lvl 5 it becomes a much more fair fight so I don't think it should be nerfed, its just an EA issue.

true, then it should be much less of a problem. I hope they eventually allow us to go higher then level 4 in EA.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sigi98
the title says it all... these guys easily deal 50 damage or more per turn, and can give themselves advantage. please don't give them 2 or even 3 attacks per turn...
(I have seen a few people saying they think its easy, and if you're one of them... good for you, but the majority of people I have seen agree that the fight is too hard)

If you come in through the Zhentarim side, you can shoot them from sneak to death without them every moving from the top of the rope ladder. There are a few ways to use the darkness and terrain. That fight is a good signal from them to be creative. They roast you in a face to face, for sure.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Orbax

If you come in through the Zhentarim side, you can shoot them from sneak to death without them every moving from the top of the rope ladder. There are a few ways to use the darkness and terrain. That fight is a good signal from them to be creative. They roast you in a face to face, for sure.

i guess, but thats not really engaging

Last edited by Sigi98; 19/10/20 04:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
I never suceed...
It looks like you're fighting the big boss of act one but it's only a random encounter.... Don't know why they're doing things like that...

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Orbax

My first reaction was (i was level 3) to go back across the bridge, fight the spectator, and pretty much do the rest of the game. I did them last and it wasnt any easier at level 4. It ended up just being a puzzle. Though, once I did manage to get them to follow me down a ramp and I triggered the bullette which did a serious number on them for help. Overall, a deflating fight, and even at level 5 would 2 attacks from party would still be a hard one to face tank. Some clearer cues on how to win or how to use the environment would go a long way, as they are gatekeeping that portion of the underdark!

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I never suceed...
It looks like you're fighting the big boss of act one but it's only a random encounter.... Don't know why they're doing things like that...

I sucked hard. In the first time I played Baldur's Gate 2 I didn't finish it. That's how much I sucked. And still, although it is a difficult fight, I don't think it's impossible.

Last edited by Abits; 19/10/20 04:42 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
It's an okay fight .

Spread out, focus on one mino at a time at all costs and you should be okay.

If I recall correctly I was using battlemaster's menacing strike repeatedly (which then, with careful positioning and a tiny bit of luck, would cause AoO and buy my team some time), using duplicity from Shadowheart to give advantage, then either having the Gith do the same thing as my PC (HE Fighter - Battlemaster) or use Wyll / Gale to do whatever they could in terms of damage. Usually, at that point, it would be something like hex + scorching ray while having advantage or scorching ray, grease, mm, ray of frost whichever really made more sense.

Once you drop one mino it's just a mixture of baiting the mino into wasting effort into killing off your casters and then using aid.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I found that if you go through the Zhent back entrance and go down the lift. You could kill one of them completely in stealth. Throw a fireball and go back into stealth, it will just look dumbfounded for a moment and resume it's patrol. My first time I came through it, I was spotted and didn't know what spotted me until one of them leaped and ground pound me into sausage meat, killed 3 of my characters with one hit. I was level 4.

journeyman
journeyman
I never suceed...

It's just a cascade effect from Larian's decision to change DnD action economy, they reach you due to jumping(because jump distance str based and BA, not movement). Wait for Frost Giants with 23str to appear, they will jump by a half location right to you wizard.

Last edited by arion; 19/10/20 05:31 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

The thing with having a turn based combat system instead of real time with pause is that there should not be any mob fights, because turn based combat is simply too slow for that (looking at you, Wasteland 3!). So instead, have few but difficult fights, which feel unique. From this perspective, the Minotaur fight is excellent, having dozens of fights with goblin mobs is not.

Then Larian, as in DOS:1 and DOS:2, gauges the difficulty so that walk up and smack 'em in a 2:2 formation won't work, being "creative" is at the core of the game. That "being creative" in the Larian sense breaks immersion for some players is a trade off that is baked into the very concept. It may be worse in BG:3, which aims to establish a more serious mood than the perious games, though, but it seems to be clear to me that Larian won't change this because it is very fundamental to the whole concept.

But I'm sure the final build will have a difficulty slider to let stuck players progress.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
The minotaur fight was super easy for me. When the Minotaurs attacked me, the Bullette showed up at the same time and basically killed a minotaur for me lol.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
I never suceed...

I sucked hard. In the first time I played Baldur's Gate 2 I didn't finish it. That's how much I sucked. And still, although it is a difficult fight, I don't think it's impossible.

I don't think it's impossible and I love difficulty, but if it's well integrated and if it is consistent.

A boss has to be more powerfull and the combats has to be special.
The first random fight you face in the underdark shouldn't. Combats in the underdark have to be a little bit difficult but here it's probably one of the most difficult fight in the game if you don't exploit it's cheesy mecanics. That's ridiculous.

I think the game should be fine with "normal" and easy combats. The game is balanced for every combats being more or less a challenge and that's not fun. We're not random, let us feel like special and powerfull adventurers sometimes... I don't wanna be the hero that isn't able to fight 3 gnolls in less than 8 turns, with companions falling inconscious against the weakest creatures of the FR.

It's an overdose (the word we should describe BG3 with) of challenge. An adventure doesn't need to be a challenge at every corner to be challenging.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/10/20 06:21 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
The first random fight you face in the underdark shouldn't.

Enter the underdark in BG:2, walk a little bit north, be mindblasted to oblivion by three mind flayers just chillin' there. Walk a little bit east, be ambushed by a drow war party with high level clerics and wizards, just chillin' there in the middle of nowhere.

Just the first two random encounters.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Yeah exactly the first fight in the Underdark is supposed to establish how dangerous of a place it is. Baldur's Gate 2 did it pretty well and this fight works really well also.

Clearly it is really hard for level 4 characters. The only way I found to beat it was to sneak away after jumping from the spiders' pit and move closer to the entrance of the Selunite outpost (which will give you high ground advantage). Then you can position your characters so that they are away enough from one another so the Minotaur jump won't damage more than one. If you are lucky you can also get a shove on the Bullette's trench for 30-40 points of damage.

addict
addict
Level 4 party w/ good gear. BM Ranger, Shadowheart, Lae'zel as EK, Gale. If I didnt beat it first try, I did 2nd. I beat Phase spider queen 1st atempt. Mirror image on Gale and SH . Gale has certain necklace making him MM monster. Didn't even put flame on my weapons. No stealth or cheese. Not bragging, just giving different perspective. Its a strong party, maybe strongest I have played and I have 165 hrs played including all classes and many comps. Gives me quite a bit of experience to draw on.

addict
addict
They are hard and requires either cheesing or min max'ing every advantage because they are overtuned and are Larian'd up, with advantages and attacks they don't actually have. That goes for most enemies in the game, they all are overtuned but the players aren't.

Taken directly from 5e:

Charge: If the minotaur moves at least 10 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore Attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 ft. away and knocked prone.

Labyrinthine Recall: The minotaur can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Reckless: At the start of its turn, the minotaur can gain advantage on all melee weapon Attack rolls it makes during that turn, but Attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Actions Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

Gore: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Nowhere is there 3 actions per turn and an AoE prone jump with a knockback in the same turn. They are way overtuned...for some stupid reason. Like why? Bc Larian. You can make things difficult and fun in different ways then just giving random shit to enemies and requiring players to reload and min-max for every advantage. That in turn makes the combat feels the same way. Every combat will be the same, and/or every type of combat with that type of enemy will be the same. Which again, isn't fun for a lot of people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard