Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Luxoria Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am new to this forum, so if some aspects of this post were mentioned before, then I'm terribly sorry.

I am D&D fan and player, also I am a great fan of DOS 2, I literally cried whan I finished a game. And I have 90+ hours in BG3, yes, I know that this is crazy a bit, but I just love this little part of game.

First of all, I wanted to say, that usually I just keep silent, but this is the case when I just can't do it. Guys, this game is AMAZING. This is love from the first sight for me. I can't even express in words how beautiful and awesome this game is, really. Despite being in early access, this game absorbed me completely. Graphics, music, atmosphere - everything is amazing, especially at this stage of production. My heart is tearing apart when I see some negative feedback from people, I have a feeling that they are this kind of people who just watch a video of some "critics" and after they write some strange things. I mean, they don't even play a game sometimes, but say some nonsence about a game. That is why I wanted to share some positive moments of this game.

I really love companions ( I saw many people arguing about them, they dislike them or even say bad things about their personality). But c'mon guys, this is a fantasy world, but companions seem like real people. They don't necessarily act like fluffy kittens and eager to love you at once. Moreover, this is more interesting to know about them, why do they act this way and so on. Personally, I really fell in love with Astarion, surprisingly, because I play as something good, and he is opposite, but very charming. Hope his quest will reveal his true identity in a good way ofc. And yes, I want a happy ending with him and my character smile And I know, there are many people who think the same!
As I really like romance options, I just wanted to point out that it would be nice to have more interactions with love interest or friend-companion ( I mean who in your party and have high affection). Maybe this is goning to be in future, who knows.
I also love the music, it is so cool! I am ready to listen to it for the whole day.
Character creation is perfect! Ofc it would be great to have some more options, but what we have now is very good too. I am very demanding person in such questions, but I am really satisfied with character creation. I really loved the design of Tieflings.

There are some bugs, sure, but honestly, it didn't spoil anything for me. Many people forget that this is EA, but I think this is just a beginning for something very very breathtaking! I just enjoyed this little part of a masterpiece.

I wanted to thank all the team for such an amazing game, they did colossal work on this, really. Me and all my friends were really satisfied with it and we are looking forward for its release.
I hope that when it release, BG3 will take GOTY.

I don't claim my feedback very important, but just wanted to share. Hope you guys enjoyed it as I am.

By the way, let's talk about romance! Let's collect some really good suggestions about it, maybe for team to know what players who are really into it want to see in game.

p.s english isn't my native language, so I'm sorry for any mistakes. Also, I play in russian and some of the translation seems a bit strange ;D if it could be fixed a little bit, it would be great!

E
stranger
stranger
E
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience! I have been reading some posts on the forum and pretty shocked with how much negativity there is. Reading what you have written is a breath of fresh air laugh

I agree, the characters are complex and it feels like getting to know real people. Everyone has gone through a lot and not eager to trust, some have more difficult than others. I also enjoy Astarion, he is so far my favourite character. That line of "Of course it will turn me into a monster" and his expression is perfect considering what his current situation is.

My 3 play throughs had very few game breaking bugs and that is more than one can say about some complete games, Larian really has given us a lot to play with and given many avenues to discuss and report bugs and suggestions. The interaction I have had from feedback has also been very professional yet fun.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Endraca
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience! I have been reading some posts on the forum and pretty shocked with how much negativity there is. Reading what you have written is a breath of fresh air laugh

Ive been making applications for over 15 years. When people nitpick - and this takes awhile to appreciate - it means they don't have any problems with the actual concept, they've just started using it and are really saying "I like this a lot and this would be perfect if...". It just tends to come out as a string of stuff they hate, dislike, and want changed. Silence is the bad one, they just look at it and decide to not use it. After about 3 months people start saying how much they like it. Things people use are weird, and doing the compliment sandwich every time they want to say something they'd like to see changed is too much effort. Im sure they have a combined 100,000+ comments easy from excited players who look forward to a greater game eventually.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Completely agree with this! Astarion is also my favorite so far, even though I normally play as good characters. I completely agree that more scenes with characters would be really nice. My biggest piece of feedback so far for the approval system with companions is it would be nice to have milestone conversations that are triggered by approval or story events that impact how the character reacts to the pc. I think the biggest thing that pulls me out of the game is getting a scene like the stargazing scene with Astarion and then having his greeting in normal dialogue snap back to "you again." Scenes that happen early like that would be a good chance to flag a companion as a friend, rival, or romance option. Once a character is flagged with a specific relationship dynamic, it would be really cool to get an extra line of dialogue that reflects that in conversations.

But yeah, I agree that it's good to see positive feedback. I'm in college full time and work yet I've already put in 75+ hours into the game. xD I just love it and keep replaying it.

I could sign this smile
As an old time rpg junkie (BG2 was the first game I've ever played and loved), I am very pleasantly surprised by BG3 which I honestly haven't anticipated-last thing that really swept me of my feet was DAO.

Astarion seems too me a bit too much "inspired" by Zevran though (to the point where I'm mixing up names) and I have a strong feeling you should brace for heartbreak (possibly with Gale whom I prefer too)

And yeah I also feel this forum (let's not even talk about Steam) is missing more appreciation threads.

Last edited by Azarielle; 20/10/20 05:37 AM.
Originally Posted by Azarielle
I could sign this smile
As an old time rpg junkie (BG2 was the first game I've ever played and loved), I am very pleasantly surprised by BG3 which I honestly haven't anticipated-last thing that really swept me of my feet was DAO.

Astarion seems too me a bit too much "inspired" by Zevran though (to the point where I'm mixing up names) and I have a strong feeling you should brace for heartbreak (possibly with Gale whom I prefer too)

And yeah I also feel this forum (let's not even talk about Steam) is missing more appreciation threads.

DA:O had the best executed romance of any game. I know everyone gives it flack for "get approval by giving gifts" but the base game didn't have enough gifts to game the system. It was only like that after DLC and you could have most characters maxed out with affection regardless of how you played just through dialogue options. I always romanced Alistair but managed to get BFF status with Morrigan every time.

D: I'm really not looking forward to the *strong* possibility for heartache with these characters. I get the impression Larian doesn't want to give us light and fluffies but... I live for light and fluffies. Even in my dark, gritty fantasy rpgs.

It seems like the "steam" element has been becoming more prominent as time goes on. It's very troubling.

addict
addict
I think your feedbak is extremely important. Like most games the forums are mostly driven by the vocal minority. There are a lot of helpful posts, but most are negative. I assume most people are like you and me. BTW I am at 172 hours LoL! I could not agree more with how you feel and I think there are a lot of us.

Originally Posted by pinklily
Originally Posted by Azarielle
I could sign this smile

DA:O had the best executed romance of any game. I know everyone gives it flack for "get approval by giving gifts" but the base game didn't have enough gifts to game the system. It was only like that after DLC and you could have most characters maxed out with affection regardless of how you played just through dialogue options. I always romanced Alistair but managed to get BFF status with Morrigan every time.

D: I'm really not looking forward to the *strong* possibility for heartache with these characters. I get the impression Larian doesn't want to give us light and fluffies but... I live for light and fluffies. Even in my dark, gritty fantasy rpgs.

It seems like the "steam" element has been becoming more prominent as time goes on. It's very troubling.

I too really appreciated DA:O, and especially so for the companion interactions and growing your relationship. What I really enjoyed is how you didn't have to be good/evil/douche/goody-tow-shoes/neutral in order to build up your relationships. Instead it was mostly enough that you built up a mutual respect based on the companion's standpoints and trying to understand where they were coming from. I haven't seen that in BG3 yet, but I really hope it will be possible to both role-play your character and grow your relationship to that of at least mutual respect.

veteran
veteran
I have to agree that the companions are a personal highlight for me as well. I enjoy most aspects about them, and even when I don't, it usually has something to do with poor game design and not the companions themselves

Last edited by Abits; 20/10/20 10:11 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
YES! I completely agree with your post. To add about companions and romance options, I really like that they show you if your companions agree or disagree with you. It reminds me of BioWare's Dragon Age game, where they did the same thing. Of course BioWare was the developer for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, so I wonder of if the approval rating is a little tribute to BioWare (they are known as the best game developer that does romance and character development). Then again I could be wrong...lol. I can't wait to see what else Larian does with Baldur's Gate 3 once it's fully finished but like you, I think they have done a great job.

Last edited by Lady Avyna; 20/10/20 10:28 AM.
Luxoria Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by pinklily
Completely agree with this! Astarion is also my favorite so far, even though I normally play as good characters. I completely agree that more scenes with characters would be really nice. My biggest piece of feedback so far for the approval system with companions is it would be nice to have milestone conversations that are triggered by approval or story events that impact how the character reacts to the pc. I think the biggest thing that pulls me out of the game is getting a scene like the stargazing scene with Astarion and then having his greeting in normal dialogue snap back to "you again." Scenes that happen early like that would be a good chance to flag a companion as a friend, rival, or romance option. Once a character is flagged with a specific relationship dynamic, it would be really cool to get an extra line of dialogue that reflects that in conversations.

But yeah, I agree that it's good to see positive feedback. I'm in college full time and work yet I've already put in 75+ hours into the game. xD I just love it and keep replaying it.

Totally agree! It was such a sweet scene, I was like "wow are you starting to flirt and to like me?" and then his dissatisfied phrase xD But really I like how he treats my character when he has exeptional relationships.
Also I hope that there will not be some heartbreaking moments with his character, my heart won't stand ;D

By the way, guys, thank you so much for all your replies! It is so important for me as well to see people who share my thoughts!

B
stranger
stranger
B
Hear hear, read your post this afternoon, replying now. Let's bump it, because hey, I am business manager myself, and I can only say, if you work your a** off to make something good, it feels good to hear from time to time you are doing a good job, or that you are on the right track.

Because face it, perfection doesn't exist, but in their spectrum Larian and especially the people working there are doing great stuff. Not a lot of companies do that, having that heart and soul. Don't say, because it isn't. And here it is, because you have the owner pulling the reins, not some big investors placing his pawns here and there.

And don't say, well, they get big sales, and get nice profit now? Would they have to work for free then? They reap the profits of what they sow. Right on, brothers and sisters!

BG fan - Kivan and Jan all the way!
Originally Posted by frequentic

I too really appreciated DA:O, and especially so for the companion interactions and growing your relationship. What I really enjoyed is how you didn't have to be good/evil/douche/goody-tow-shoes/neutral in order to build up your relationships. Instead it was mostly enough that you built up a mutual respect based on the companion's standpoints and trying to understand where they were coming from. I haven't seen that in BG3 yet, but I really hope it will be possible to both role-play your character and grow your relationship to that of at least mutual respect.

That's what I'm really hoping for. I hope the companions can kind of grow with you. So if you play an evil/bad character, the companions will be worse people along with you, but if you play a good character they can become better. I really liked Morrigan's writing because she is always herself but if you raise your approval level with her and treat her like a friend, she's genuinely shocked that she could grow to care so much about someone. It made the last conversations with her really touching. I can see hints of a possibility that this sort of thing could happen with Astarion and a good character. I really hope Larian's writing team follows through. (he has a few brief flashes of vulnerability I think they could do a lot with.)

Originally Posted by Luxoria

Totally agree! It was such a sweet scene, I was like "wow are you starting to flirt and to like me?" and then his dissatisfied phrase xD But really I like how he treats my character when he has exeptional relationships.
Also I hope that there will not be some heartbreaking moments with his character, my heart won't stand ;D

By the way, guys, thank you so much for all your replies! It is so important for me as well to see people who share my thoughts!

The stargazing scene is without a doubt my favorite game moment so far. It's so nice. I just could do without the whiplash of the attitude change between that and the normal dialogue lol.

Yes. Please, Larian. Let us have nice things. (I can hear them cackling in the distance with a curt "no." xD)

Link Copied to Clipboard