Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
SPOILERS

So Gale has this thing where he needs to eat items. I think it's a bit too costly at this point (though potentially a bug). The only items that appear to show up as "edible" are 3 blue items. Two of which are some of the best weapons in EA (hag staff and justice sword). The third was a healing necklace that is nice, but expendable.

Gale got hungry and I gave him the healing necklace of Selune. Then on literally THE NEXT SLEEP, he lost his shit and said he needed more (Maybe a bug?). I gave him the staff of hags, and he seemed to cool off. My point here is that he is a really expensive companion. I'm *absolutely* going to leave him behind if he's going to regularly cost me all of my blue items that I want to equip. I think the solution here is to let him eat green items that I might have just otherwise sold. That way he still can have his interesting character flaw, and not be a huge burden on my inventory.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
one solution is to make him not like you enough for this to come up. I had him for two runs and he never once mentioned this item eating thing.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm hoping you're right, that it's a bug, and he should be "eating" less precious items.

If not, then I agree, it's too costly otherwise. Without a doubt, I'd leave him behind after Chapter 1.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
the hag staff isn't that good. it just gives you a ray of sickness that does self damage and breaks your concentration. cantrips are just better even if they weren't so op right now.

i am quite interested in gale's request to steal the druids idol. but i have not made it that far.

Last edited by nizanegusa; 20/10/20 12:44 AM.
old hand
old hand
I don't know how far you've gotten with his conversation chain but I just hit one Ive never had before:

Lore drop (outside game, he references it) the only 12th level spell ever cast was by a netherese mage who wanted to take over the body of a god to win a war. He chose the goddess of magic. The read is here, https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Karsus%27s_Folly. Gale mentioned it and the thing in his body is a fragment of the distorted power of that moment. What I am hoping is that he becomes a ruthlessly powerful mage as he actually was in a relationship with the goddess of magic and wishes to regain her favor. If he explodes, he said it could wipe out a city as large as Waterdeep. Compelling story reason. Mechanically, you're right. There is also the hood from the Myconids, but its pretty awesome. I don't know exactly what, but having alternate sources that might piss off clerics could be nice. Suck the power out of shrines, things like that.

Last edited by Orbax; 20/10/20 12:45 AM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
journeyman
journeyman
There's a number of items that he can devour - book, necklace, and a rather weird and useless weapon from the kua-toa.

So you generally don't need to resort to destroying really useful stuff - yet anyway, his appetite might worse in the next act.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by BROttorney
SPOILERS

So Gale has this thing where he needs to eat items. I think it's a bit too costly at this point (though potentially a bug). The only items that appear to show up as "edible" are 3 blue items. Two of which are some of the best weapons in EA (hag staff and justice sword). The third was a healing necklace that is nice, but expendable.

Gale got hungry and I gave him the healing necklace of Selune. Then on literally THE NEXT SLEEP, he lost his shit and said he needed more (Maybe a bug?). I gave him the staff of hags, and he seemed to cool off. My point here is that he is a really expensive companion. I'm *absolutely* going to leave him behind if he's going to regularly cost me all of my blue items that I want to equip. I think the solution here is to let him eat green items that I might have just otherwise sold. That way he still can have his interesting character flaw, and not be a huge burden on my inventory.

There is also the idol of sylvanus, the book of thay, shroud.

His appetite seems to be a little too ravenous for the duration of EA, AGREED.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eireson
There's a number of items that he can devour - book, necklace, and a rather weird and useless weapon from the kua-toa.

So you generally don't need to resort to destroying really useful stuff - yet anyway, his appetite might worse in the next act.

Wonder if these items are actually there just as food for him or if it's a case of "They don't seem particularly useful now" but you would regret it later.

Still, we had another thread about this and I'll say the same thing: this kind of "addiction" can be justified only if in the process of eating magic items he gains some permanent buff (i.e. more spell slots, increased stats), otherwise Larian is creating a character that will be regularly served the boot from most players.

You cost me a blue item every now and then, you better give me something amazing in return.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by dza101
one solution is to make him not like you enough for this to come up. I had him for two runs and he never once mentioned this item eating thing.

You're telling me I can't pet the dog. That's just not a reasonable solution.

Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Eireson

Wonder if these items are actually there just as food for him or if it's a case of "They don't seem particularly useful now" but you would regret it later.

Still, we had another thread about this and I'll say the same thing: this kind of "addiction" can be justified only if in the process of eating magic items he gains some permanent buff (i.e. more spell slots, increased stats), otherwise Larian is creating a character that will be regularly served the boot from most players.

You cost me a blue item every now and then, you better give me something amazing in return.

I don't feel like they need to make his character significantly more powerful, it's fine as is. I'd rather he just didn't cost so much. Let me feed him any green+ item.

Originally Posted by Orbax
I don't know how far you've gotten with his conversation chain but I just hit one Ive never had before:

Lore drop (outside game, he references it) the only 12th level spell ever cast was by a netherese mage who wanted to take over the body of a god to win a war. He chose the goddess of magic. The read is here, https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Karsus%27s_Folly. Gale mentioned it and the thing in his body is a fragment of the distorted power of that moment. What I am hoping is that he becomes a ruthlessly powerful mage as he actually was in a relationship with the goddess of magic and wishes to regain her favor. If he explodes, he said it could wipe out a city as large as Waterdeep. Compelling story reason. Mechanically, you're right. There is also the hood from the Myconids, but its pretty awesome. I don't know exactly what, but having alternate sources that might piss off clerics could be nice. Suck the power out of shrines, things like that.

Dating a god at level 1 is kind of wild.

old hand
old hand
I got this far once, he wanted that book when I was carrying a blue item as well. Didn't have the option to give him that instead for some reason. I think he should be able to use the green items, maybe just the named ones rather than any +1 item. Hopefully something will happen in Act 2 where he needs to consume less.

A question, can you give him that book to eat if you have already read it?

veteran
veteran

I don't feel like they need to make his character significantly more powerful, it's fine as is. I'd rather he just didn't cost so much. Let me feed him any green+ item.

But that's not the point.
If you make exceptional demands, you better offer exceptional results in return.
Otherwise. You. Are. Getting. The. Boot.
Because I can have any other companion without that sort of hefty money sink attached.

Last edited by Tuco; 20/10/20 03:30 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
R
old hand
old hand
R
In act 1 you only need to sacrifice 2 items.
I sacrificed iron flask and amulet of selune's chosen.
It's strange, but you can't give him a rare but useless weapons like sorrow.

I think the book and iron flask are just the things you're looking for wink
But yeah I feel you, first time around I have him the sword as well

B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Tuco

But that's not the point.
If you make exceptional demands, you better offer exceptional results in return.
Otherwise. You. Are. Getting. The. Boot.
Because I can have any other companion without that sort of hefty money sink attached.

I'm not arguing with your math. It's correct. I merely wish to change the other side of the equation. reduce the demands such that they are not exceptional.

Originally Posted by Azarielle
I think the book and iron flask are just the things you're looking for wink
But yeah I feel you, first time around I have him the sword as well

Pssh, Gale can explode. He's not getting my Sword of Justice. Greatsword +1 that lets you concentrate on having a shield? That's freaking great.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O

Pssh, Gale can explode. He's not getting my Sword of Justice. Greatsword +1 that lets you concentrate on having a shield? That's freaking great.

It is, and it lasts if you take the sword off. Ac 22 characters are a thing at lvl 4.

M
M
The Sword of Justice isn't all that good, honestly. The Sussur Greatsword is much better. Having a Concentration spell active on a melee character is less than suboptimal - just have SH cast Shield of Faith on whoever is wielding the Sword.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
When we get more companions to chose from I don't see Gale being picked at all anymore. His added mechanic is just too weird and obnoxious. As if I'll be feeding him rare magical artifacts throughout the game, fat chance. I would never allow a player at my table to have such a absolutely bonkers mechanic, nor would I ever think of including it as a DMPC.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
To me his hunger seems a little bugged. You can keep on feeding him, and you get the same conversation after each time.
It doesn't seem to bring anything, so I just save all my "food for Gale items" and feed him just that once.

There's also the Iron Flask, which is my go to item.

Some times though I don't get any food options for him, so he seems a bit bugged.

S
addict
addict
S
Do we even know if anything bad would happen if we didn't give him any items? I kinda can't imagine that he would at some point literally explode and force us to restart the game.....

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
More likely, he'll just go full junky and start stealing your items or go steal an NPC's item(s) forcing you to deal with it that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard