Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by frequentic
I just hope that they don't increase the book count too much, or make it so that more books add actual clues that can be used in quests and dialogues.

Yes, I agree. It reminds me of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Every time you read a book, you get experience points and depending what you read it can open a side quest. It would be cool to get something like and also what you said instead of getting absolutely nothing every time you search the books.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
Originally Posted by frequentic
I just hope that they don't increase the book count too much, or make it so that more books add actual clues that can be used in quests and dialogues.

Yes, I agree. It reminds me of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Every time you read a book, you get experience points and depending what you read it can open a side quest. It would be cool to get something like and also what you said instead of getting absolutely nothing every time you search the books.

That is an excellent idea.

Necromancy is just recycling...
veteran
veteran

That's a fairly common mechanic and if anything other games handled it a bit more elegantly (i.e. both Gothic 1 and 2). Some of the past Larian games included.

Anyway, I'll stress once again that the solution to "Too many containers and shelves everywhere" is NOT "Let's fill them with stuff". If anything that will make the problem worse.
Exploration and looting needs to be slimmed down. Both the Original Sin and this first act of BG3 already suffer a tragic case of inventory clutter. Inventory management is currently a nightmare and they need to work on making it more elegant, not more cumbersome.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
I'm sure this has been stated, but the game is in early access. Books, crafting mats, etc will be included in at some point, but right now, the game itself is getting re-configured and tweaked. They've included some letters and lore books that are quest specific, etc, but most lore books are not essential to the game atm, so we'll just have to wait on them. In regards to the goblin camp being basically empty, well, the town has been looted by goblins, what do you expect. smile The books were probably burned for camp fire kindling.

Just as a lot of things in the game, be patient. It's EA, so there's going to be a lot missing yet.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vortex138
I'm sure this has been stated, but the game is in early access. Books, crafting mats, etc will be included in at some point.

Sure, but that's not the problem here.
Larian needs to decide what kind of pacing wants to give to the game.
Are they genuinely happy with slowing down progression/exploration to a crawl because every goddamn room has more crates, shelves and containers of all sorts than Hong Kong has bikes?
Do they plan to design a game where unrewarding busywork and tedious inventory management are the greatest time sinks?

Last edited by Tuco; 20/10/20 01:12 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco

That's a fairly common mechanic and if anything other games handled it a bit more elegantly (i.e. both Gothic 1 and 2). Some of the past Larian games included.

Anyway, I'll stress once again that the solution to "Too many containers and shelves everywhere" is NOT "Let's fill them with stuff". If anything that will make the problem worse.
Exploration and looting needs to be slimmed down. Both the Original Sin and this first act of BG3 already suffer a tragic case of inventory clutter. Inventory management is currently a nightmare and they need to work on making it more elegant, not more cumbersome.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don't mean that ever container, crate or book shelf has to have loot. What I am saying is that if you place your mouse to a container, crate or book shelf and it shows the chest icon, indicating loot, there should be something inside at least more than half the time BUT in my post I am specifically talking about books.

Every time I have check the book shelves, it's always empty. So, my point is that why indicate that it's lootable when there's never anything inside (of course Larian might change this once Early Access ends and the full game is released). It doesn't have to be items to use or sell but like I said to someone else, it can books that gives you a side mission or extra small xp like in other rpg games.

To add, Larian did say that this game will be about exploring Baldur's Gate and it's a full RPG game but with DnD rules.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
It is a bit frustrating. That said, a convenient way of dealing with them in Larian games since (at least) Divinity 2 has been to do a whirlwind attack to "open" a bunch of them at once and collect any resulting loot.

This just made my day.

How about implementing a mechanic inspired by tabletop D&D - you enter a room and make an investigation/perception roll akin to telling your DM you're looking for anything interesting or out of the ordinary. If you roll well, containers with potentially valuable items light up. This way most characters would be able to find the best pickings fast and if they want to be thorough they can search each container manually.

This wouldn't really work if all you're looking for is an apple though.

"Tiax rules. Make way."
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I did notice that smashing the locked chest on the beach at the beginning of the adventure yielded nothing, whereas picking the lock gave up the helmet (and whatever else was in it). This makes me wary of smashing my way into chests and barrels.

Of course, I may have simply not managed to pass the cursor over the newly uncovered loot, but I did spend a while looking.

stranger
stranger
I wonder if (beyond making sure there are actually things in the bookshelves), design-wise, it would be desirable to just make less containers lootable? I know the option already exists, because there are numerous barrels and crates that cannot be looted in the game. That would help cut down on the amount of time spent clicking through containers. One of my least favorite things so far is opening 20 different crates in a room and maybe finding some plates and a potato.

K
K
I'm with Lady here, some indication is nice. I do know that sometimes when I hold ALT it will say "Empty" on some things or dead bodies, or chests and containers show the gold value change depending on whats in it. I'm not sure how the mechanics of that work though. but it helps

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard