Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
In Divinity Original Sin 2, when you progress from Act 1 to Act 2, you can't go back to the old areas.

I really really hope this won't be the case for Baldur's Gate 3. Early Access has so much content already. I've clocked over 90 hours now, and I still find things of interest.

It would be a shame if we are locked out of this content once we step onto the boat.

S
addict
addict
S
I agree, but unfortunately I think they said in an interview sometime that we won't be able o go back.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Then I hope they read this, and change their mind.

With Divinity I didn't feel the urge to go back to places I have been before, but with a DnD game, I prefer an open world. Sure let quest givers etc move along, leave their camps empty etc. But don't take away the opportunity to save that hag until lvl 10 just to give her a mighty ass whooping, if I so pleases.

I don't often use the "in older BG games" line, but in this case I would say "It wouldn't feel very baldur's gate if I can't explore lots of regions"

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sigi98
I agree, but unfortunately I think they said in an interview sometime that we won't be able o go back.

Worse than that; if I'm not mistaken, the transition might not be obvious and you may stumble upon a point of no return by accident. (Or this is how I understood it anyway; I think it was the Dropped Frames interview, but I have neither the timestamp nor the exact quote, so take it with a grain of salt.)

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
That's very unfortunate.

Rule 1 of DnD DMing: Don't take agency away from the players.

Apparently Larian is considering locking the companion choice after Act 1, if it hasn't been decided already.

That could be one reason to block a return to Act 1, to prevent further dialog with the companions you don't choose. Especially if the mechanic for removing the non-chosen companions is that they all turn into Mind Flayers. eek

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Apparently Larian is considering locking the companion choice after Act 1, if it hasn't been decided already.

That could be one reason to block a return to Act 1, to prevent further dialog with the companions you don't choose. Especially if the mechanic for removing the non-chosen companions is that they all turn into Mind Flayers. eek

I'm really curious how they will lock the other companions away, story-wise. right now in act 1 nothing points toward a valid reason to leave them behind.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by Sigi98

Worse than that; if I'm not mistaken, the transition might not be obvious and you may stumble upon a point of no return by accident. (Or this is how I understood it anyway; I think it was the Dropped Frames interview, but I have neither the timestamp nor the exact quote, so take it with a grain of salt.)

I doubt it. In DOS2 they made you very aware you were at a point of no return. I would expect the same here.

While I am at a point where I feel the whole open world format is overrated, encountering something early on that is way over your head that you can return to much later is a nice feature. But I can honestly live without it.

Link Copied to Clipboard