Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
stranger
stranger
A
I am down for this--- But I'd like it to be an option. Much like a difficulty setting or a check box. Same thing with Camping anywhere or in localized areas. I think it should be part of "Casual" difficulty or something. Just removing it would be cheeky-- people should be able to enjoy the game the way they want.

If the game will have difficulty options when released, that would be one way to restrict it. Make eating food in combat available on Easy and locked out of combat on Normal and Hard.

I like that better than the "just don't do it if you don't like it" approach, or even a settings in an Options menu. You're choosing what kind of experience you want with the difficulty settings, and it avoids looking like dumb game design if you're a more hardcore player.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
With respect, I hope the opinion that food should heal HP at all, let alone do so in combat, is not a strongly held or popular one over at Larian.

In order of my preference:
1) Food deals with hunger
2) Food provides buffs until next long rest, consumed *during* long rests
3) Food heals out of combat
4) Food is removed
5) Food heals in combat

I don't want to play Runescape. I don't want to eat an entire shark in the middle of combat.

old hand
old hand
It sounds like food size and ubiquity are the problem more than anything. If you ate a square of lembas bread that you could buy from elvish vendors (yes I know lotr) youd be fine. But the fact you can find a roasted dingo and eat it all is bothersome. If it was roasted acorns, cormyr coffee, crunchy crickets, glowing fungus, or dwarvish battle brew is this still an issue? Considering the plethora of non-healing potions and elixirs one can take? Or what if turned all current food into its liquid form. Apple juice, mushroom juice, fish juice? and you have nothing but potions now, does that fit the narrative? I guess Im just confused at what the problem is other than immersion breaking VOLUME of food being eaten. If they had Gnomish QuikSwallowâ„¢ pills of every flavor and effect is that ok?

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
journeyman
journeyman
For a side note, I find it hilarious that Astarion gains hitpoints from eating garlic. Or that he can actually eat any food in general and benefit from it, but garlic especially. The monster hunter even has garlic in his backpack, and Astarion was happy to take a bite of both the hunter and the garlic. Sure, it's early access. And I was quite impressed that he takes damage from running water.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco
Restrictions are what defines a game. Having a sets of limit and rules that defines your borders and give you a range of action.
Chess is fun because you have to stick to rules and move your pieces accordingly.

Otherwise what you have is not a game but a toy, something somewhat funny to toss around for a bit, but without any defined purpose and any meaningful winning condition.
"Don't do if you don't want to" makes for a damn lousy ruleset.

That's what I was alluding to with the "complete anarchy" thing; it depends where one draws the line. My concern is the tendency of some people to police other people's playing habits, often in a way that is not beneficial. I'm not saying anybody is doing that here, just that I am familiar with that general attitude, hence my caution about applying additional restrictions.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Mythago
For a side note, I find it hilarious that Astarion gains hitpoints from eating garlic. Or that he can actually eat any food in general and benefit from it, but garlic especially. The monster hunter even has garlic in his backpack, and Astarion was happy to take a bite of both the hunter and the garlic. Sure, it's early access. And I was quite impressed that he takes damage from running water.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=700685
agreed laugh

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Mythago

Haha, yeah, I always make him eat a bit of meat (though sadly dried) followed by garlic for laughs.

Traycor Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vekkares
Just dont eat in combat. Why ruin the enjoyment of others just because you like a certain style? Just make it your own.

If food can be eaten in combat, then the game will be balanced around that, making it mandatory. Kinda like how the exploding barrels are sometimes mandatory right now.

T
stranger
stranger
T
@ the topic: make it so!

Or make a distinction between out of combat vs in combat consumables.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Traycor
Originally Posted by Vekkares
Just dont eat in combat. Why ruin the enjoyment of others just because you like a certain style? Just make it your own.

If food can be eaten in combat, then the game will be balanced around that, making it mandatory. Kinda like how the exploding barrels are sometimes mandatory right now.

I dont think thats true. I never once crafted a SINGLE THING in 800+ hours of DOS2. It existing did not equal any centricity.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by vometia

I'm not 100% sure I actually have done yet; it's more a case of being against restricting stuff as I tend to be of the "don't like it? Don't do it" opinion. It's quite refreshing to play a game that e.g. doesn't place artificial restrictions on when and where you can save, so I would prefer stuff to remain at the player's discretion. Obviously within reason as effective anarchy would probably be game-breaking even with the best will in the world, but I think things like this don't set a good precedent.

IMHO, of course.

Restrictions are what defines a game. Having a sets of limit and rules that defines your borders and give you a range of action.
Chess is fun because you have to stick to rules and move your pieces accordingly.

Otherwise what you have is not a game but a toy, something somewhat funny to toss around for a bit, but without any defined purpose and any meaningful winning condition.
"Don't do if you don't want to" makes for a damn lousy ruleset.

+1

I do like this idea, this and requiring food in order to long rest would be good ways to balance food and resting. "Combining" food into a superior version that can be used in combat may be good too.

veteran
veteran
Food should indeed be restricted to out of combat healing. Right now it is serving as a bandaid to disguise several balance problems in the game.

Originally Posted by Ormgaard
Just put in an option for:

Normal food healing on/off
Normal food healing ooc
Normal food healing everywhere.

That should be the general way forward, put in options for alot of things so were not stuck with this singleminded "GM"

Adding in "MOAR OPSHUNS" into the game is not a substitute for proper game balance, nor does adding in options reduce the amount of balancing work which must be done. In fact, adding in options greatly increases the amount of balancing work which has to be done.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Swiss
Wait, wait, wait guys.
Time out while I eat this pigs head.

Screw it!!! Keep the eating in combat...

But lets make a CON save vs death by choking on that pigs head!!!

DC30 clearly.

Then add a background as a "competitive speed eater" that gives ADV on that save.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
For those saying we need to take out eating in combat, please also contact WotC to eliminate part of the chef feat in UA. Apparently someone in WotC thought it was a good idea to eat food and gain Temp hit points as a bonus action. (granted you spend a short rest cooking and you can only make so many according to your proficiency) The chef also allows you to cook to gain additional 1d8 during a short rest.

Chef (UA)
Time and effort spent mastering the culinary arts has paid off. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Constitution or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency with cook’s utensils if you don’t already have it.
As part of a short rest, you can cook special food, provided you have ingredients and cook’s utensils on hand. You can prepare enough of this food for a number of creatures equal to 4 + your proficiency bonus. At the end of the short rest, any creature who eats the food and spends one or more Hit Dice to regain hit points regains an extra 1d8 hit points.
With one hour of work or when you finish a long rest, you can cook a number of treats equal to your proficiency bonus. These special treats last 8 hours after being made. A creature can use a bonus action to eat one of those treats to gain temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus.

A way it COULD work was to make a limit on the amount of temp hit points gained per food and make it unstackable which means that 7 hp you gained, cannot be gained again until its all lost. I still dont recommend it.

So, you can eat food in combat. Does it make the game easier, absolutely. Does it break your immersion? Sure it might, so does the Witcher and almost every other rpg. Does 5e have it? YES check UA under chef feat

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Okidoki
For those saying we need to take out eating in combat, please also contact WotC to eliminate part of the chef feat in UA.

Let us know when BG 3 implements the following:

• We need to spend one of our Feats onto Chef to do the following:
  • We need to have a short rest to prepare food.
  • We have a hit dice resource to spend in a short rest.
  • We spend the hit dice and get an extra 1d8 from food we eat in a short rest.
  • When food you can eat as a bonus action provides an amount of hit points equal to your proficiency bonus (which is 2 in EA and tops out at 6 maximum)

Otherwise, your post is a skyscraper-sized strawman.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Okidoki
For those saying we need to take out eating in combat, please also contact WotC to eliminate part of the chef feat in UA.

Let us know when BG 3 implements the following:

• We need to spend one of our Feats onto Chef to do the following:
  • We need to have a short rest to prepare food.
  • We have a hit dice resource to spend in a short rest.
  • We spend the hit dice and get an extra 1d8 from food we eat in a short rest.
  • When food you can eat as a bonus action provides an amount of hit points equal to your proficiency bonus (which is 2 in EA and tops out at 6 maximum)

Otherwise, your post is a skyscraper-sized strawman.

Hence the copy and paste showing the obvious difference and the glaringly facetious connection to a playtest UA FEAT.

Read the rest of the comment next time to get to the meat of the content.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
+1.

I feel like the abundance of food, and how much it can heal is very strong. It is the PC equivalent of the enemies having infinite spell slots and arrows. Infinite nom noms to heal during bonus action. This takes away from healing spells, healing scrolls, healing potions, Temp HP, resistances and Short Rests.

I personally would like to see food tied into Short/Long Rests, aka limited to OOC. At least there should be a configurable difficulty when it comes to food as already suggested.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by dotemtpy
+1.

I feel like the abundance of food, and how much it can heal is very strong. It is the PC equivalent of the enemies having infinite spell slots and arrows. Infinite nom noms to heal during bonus action. This takes away from healing spells, healing scrolls, healing potions, Temp HP, resistances and Short Rests.

I personally would like to see food tied into Short/Long Rests, aka limited to OOC. At least there should be a configurable difficulty when it comes to food as already suggested.

I would still use potions over the small portions of food.

BUT

You are absolutely right that the abundance of food DOES take away from healing spells. You can playthrough without healing spells with this amount of healing items in the game. At higher difficulties however, i wouldn't recommend it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard