Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by override367
Originally Posted by Madoric
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I think a part of it is Tactical Adventures had nothing so why not use the rules that WotC gave them where Larian had all this stuff already working so fell into the temptation of using what they already had and tweak it to fit 5e. BG3 is prettier but SCotM feels more like a true tabletop 5e experience.

It will be interesting to see if Larian will be willing to embrace the 5e rules to make BG3 a better game though that would be a huge amount of work for them.

I really hope SCotM is successful and would love to see what Tactical Adventures could do if they had Larian's resources.

I plan to play both games, 2021 looking to be a good year.

I hope nothing but the best for this company who is making Solasta. They did not hit their kickstarter goal to include the sorcerer in their AE (my favorite class). I can only imagine right now what they could of done if they had resources like Larian. Them sticking to the DnD 5e rule almost 1:1 has been amazing and fun to play! Also, them showing use the dice roll for everything above our character is a great idea! (you can choose to turn this off). No more getting frustrated with 95% to hit but missing. YOu can see what what you roll. Brownies points all around.

The sorcerer is being released as free DLC, other classes will be paid DLC if it sells well

Exciting! I can't wait.

addict
addict
Although simpler, the engine runs smoother.

Loved the auto-jump feature and item interaction. Much better than BG3.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 21/10/20 01:27 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
I think a part of it is Tactical Adventures had nothing so why not use the rules that WotC gave them where Larian had all this stuff already working so fell into the temptation of using what they already had and tweak it to fit 5e. BG3 is prettier but SCotM feels more like a true tabletop 5e experience.

It will be interesting to see if Larian will be willing to embrace the 5e rules to make BG3 a better game though that would be a huge amount of work for them.

I really hope SCotM is successful and would love to see what Tactical Adventures could do if they had Larian's resources.

I hope nothing but the best for this company who is making Solasta. They did not hit their kickstarter goal to include the sorcerer in their AE (my favorite class). I can only imagine right now what they could of done if they had resources like Larian. Them sticking to the DnD 5e rule almost 1:1 has been amazing and fun to play! Also, them showing use the dice roll for everything above our character is a great idea! (you can choose to turn this off). No more getting frustrated with 95% to hit but missing. YOu can see what what you roll. Brownies points all around.

The visible dice rolls are exactly what I’d hoped for with BG3. Because it’s in Solasta, I really hope Larian won’t refuse to put that in just because they didn’t do it first.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Interesting game.

Good : lvl 6 included
Paladin in EA

Bad : party of 4 only
Not full dnd license (missing feats, classes, etc.)

Is it on steam only? I wish it were on GOG

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

The visible dice rolls are exactly what I’d hoped for with BG3. Because it’s in Solasta, I really hope Larian won’t refuse to put that in just because they didn’t do it first.

I hope so as well. I don't think Larian is a company that think like that (hopefully).

T
stranger
stranger
T

Yes, I also love that the die is being show to us for everything.

endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
Looks like Swen definitely took note of the release smile

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1318641976556855297?s=20

addict
addict
Nice. Maybe he can take some systems from them, especially the autojump during exploration.

It is impressive that a 17 people studio can implement day/night cycle and Larian with 350+ can't.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Nice. Maybe he can take some systems from them, especially the autojump during exploration.

It is impressive that a 17 people studio can implement day/night cycle and Larian with 350+ can't.

It's an engine issue... maybe Larian should have used Unity too. wink

veteran
veteran
Auto jump during exploration is a must.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Abits
Auto jump during exploration is a must.

Absolutely. Just clicking where you want to go is a joy compared to selecting each individual party member, clicking jump, then struggling to find an acceptable point for them to jump to, then moving them out of the way so your next party member can jump there, then discovering their jump distance is a few milimetres too short, then banging your head on the desk in dismay.

N
stranger
stranger
N
@Solasta

1 Euro on GMG 4 months after the full release. Calling it now.

Last edited by NoLoGo; 21/10/20 07:54 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

They were able to have the swamp area transform visually. No reason they couldn't transform the rest of the map between day/night I think, even if their lighting system isn't dynamic enough to change in an instant

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by denhonator
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

They were able to have the swamp area transform visually. No reason they couldn't transform the rest of the map between day/night I think, even if their lighting system isn't dynamic enough to change in an instant

True. I believe it's an issue of how the engine calculates the passage of time... not sure, though. Anywho, the change of scenere isn't the problem, it's the "dynamic" part is. Maybe they can implement a "wait" feature or something, at some point, so we can simply choose the time of day.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Solasta is a near perfect demonstration of how BG 3 should have been developed from the beginning.

Solasta started with the base rules, and figured out how to make them best work in their engine. Their top priority was clearly getting the mechanics to work, then building the world around that.

BG 3 was built by taking the engine *and rules* from another game, and doing the bare minimum to call it a D&D game.

If Solasta had nearly the team of Larian, it wouldn't even be close which game would be the true spiritual successor to the BG series. My gawd does Solasta need polish, better writing, etc. But the underlying mechanics are light years ahead of BG 3. So long as Solasta allows extensive modding and for creators to make their own campaigns, it has the true staying power that a more flashy, but less mechanically sound game, will end up having.

addict
addict
It would be a dream if BG3 had Solasta's system.

Larian should buy Tactical Adventures so they can do the gameplay for them.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 21/10/20 09:14 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

I meaaaan it's not like Larian didn't just get something like a cash infusion of $40-50 million just from EA sales alone....

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

I meaaaan it's not like Larian didn't just get something like a cash infusion of $40-50 million just from EA sales alone....

Aw shtaaap you, you make me giggle like a schoolgril.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Tried Solasta 30 minutes. Then left it alone and came back to BG3. They cannot compare in terms of scale, dialogues, combat, everything basically. I don't see what the more mature comes from, but certainly not from the same definition I have of the word.

veteran
veteran
The majority of people who bought Bg3 don't really care about solasta. It's a simple fact. So I don't know for sure what Larian does better, but clearly they're doing something better

Last edited by Abits; 21/10/20 10:39 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard