Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
It is a better gameplay both in mechanics and optimization. Everything else BG3 is better.

Solasta EA also is way more polished, taking technologies aside.

D
D
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Tried Solasta 30 minutes. Then left it alone and came back to BG3. They cannot compare in terms of scale, dialogues, combat, everything basically. I don't see what the more mature comes from, but certainly not from the same definition I have of the word.

I have exact opposite feelings. Don't get me wrong I will gladly play both games after their respective release. But right now I enjoy Solasta a lot more. Yes, BG3 is graphically superior. But since I can't compare story right now (I havent advanced in Solasta enough) that is the only thing that BG3 is better at.
May be it is becose when I heard Sven say "We are making it based on DnD 5e" i was expecting DnD 5e. And in my opinion Larian changed it in too many ways, most of wich i can't justify.

journeyman
journeyman
Solasta -- hadn't even heard of it, but watching some videos... the UI looks horrendous, like a cyberpunk vibe UI in a fantasy game, no thanks.
The gameplay looks decent though.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Wrathbone
I've just played 2 hours of Solasta and for me it proves that trusting the 5E rules has paid off massively. It works brilliantly. No surface nonsense to constantly manage!

Exactly how I feel so far. BG3 would benefit from following the 5e rules more closely, but I actually like the UI a lot and hope they don't change it too much. Only thing I would change is letting us select our party members, rather than having the odd chain link thing from DOS2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by luciant
Solasta -- hadn't even heard of it, but watching some videos... the UI looks horrendous, like a cyberpunk vibe UI in a fantasy game, no thanks.

Yea, the UI isn't that great... I think the designers if that also worked on some of the "Endless" games, and it shows.

apprentice
apprentice
I must admit I don't understand the hate for the UI, unless it's changed a lot from early prototypes? I found it intuitive, useful and clear.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by endolex
Looks like Swen definitely took note of the release smile

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1318641976556855297?s=20

There room for two great D&D CRPGs so I hope both games go well. It's not like only one can succeed. I expect both companies are looking at each others works for ideas and stuff.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 21/10/20 02:32 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I must admit I don't understand the hate for the UI, unless it's changed a lot from early prototypes? I found it intuitive, useful and clear.

Yea, but it's too slick and modern for a fantasy RPG.

D
D
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
Originally Posted by luciant

Yea, the UI isn't that great... I think the designers if that also worked on some of the "Endless" games, and it shows.

IMHO the only thing not great about UI in Solasta is bland graphical style. Change some colors, add some textures - and it is perfect.
But for me the main aspect of the interface is functionality and convenience, and not pretty buttons. And in that regards BG3 interfase is not cuting it for me. It's just not comfortable to use.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
Solasta is a near perfect demonstration of how BG 3 should have been developed from the beginning.

Solasta started with the base rules, and figured out how to make them best work in their engine. Their top priority was clearly getting the mechanics to work, then building the world around that.

BG 3 was built by taking the engine *and rules* from another game, and doing the bare minimum to call it a D&D game.

If Solasta had nearly the team of Larian, it wouldn't even be close which game would be the true spiritual successor to the BG series. My gawd does Solasta need polish, better writing, etc. But the underlying mechanics are light years ahead of BG 3. So long as Solasta allows extensive modding and for creators to make their own campaigns, it has the true staying power that a more flashy, but less mechanically sound game, will end up having.

I see all the issue you are seeing with SCotM but that because they are an indie studio and this is their first game. Look at the early Larian Studio stuff. I am willing to cut Tactical Adventures some lack for not giving me a AAA polished game when they do not have a AAA budget and resources.

I am more critical of Larian as they are a major studio now.

veteran
veteran
I hope the Larian devs go play Solasta and discover that D&D plays just fine without the changes they made to Disengage, Jump, Shove etc.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

Yea, but it's too slick and modern for a fantasy RPG.

Fair enough - it would be nice if the buttons had nice wood or parchment textures, or something similar. Still, I'd take a bland, well-functioning UI over a pretty but useless UI any day!

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I hope the Larian devs go play Solasta and discover that D&D plays just fine without the changes they made to Disengage, Jump, Shove etc.

Looks like Svent is going to play it according to his recent Twitter post. laugh I hope Larian can take inspiration from Solasta.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Baldur's gate 3 obviously is nicer looking than Solasta, but the UI in Baldur's Gate 3 is horrific to actually use, the one in Solasta is very easy to use and a good deal more clear

And the combat is BETTER! In the first outpost mission we have 4 combats before a long rest, goblins don't need inflated hitpoints, they don't need to be given a 90% chance to hit our characters because of elevation - SOLASTA HAS COVER, THANK GOD - it copies the tabletop's cover system!

The fights feel a lot more weighty in Solasta than they do in BG3. The way they handle dice rolls popping over everyone's heads when they attack, and show us the dice and modifiers of the damage, before they merge together into a damage total - it's all wonderful

Graphically, the UI needs some redesign to match the setting, but functionally? It's much better

Let's look at casting a spell in the respective games: In BG3 I am going to need forty hotbars for a wizard by level 9, in Solasta, you click a spell, then click which level you want to cast it at.
Skill check: In BG3 I pick a lock and get a bar? no dc? In Solasta a dice pops cleanly over the character's head and tells me what I rolled, what my mods are, and if I succeeded
Advantage/Disadvantage? They copied the 5e rules, thank GOD! I have been tirelessly looking to see if I can modify BG3 to work this way, but have come up totally empty handed unfortunately.

It's not a "Better game", the story is not that great, the characters are... barely characters. It's more like Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate, but BG3 has a LOT it could learn from it

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 02:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
Completely agree; Solasta has awesome implementation of the DnD 5th ruleset, and I surely hope a lot of that inspires Larian. I hope they do implement even more accurate 5e rules.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Completely agree; Solasta has awesome implementation of the DnD 5th ruleset, and I surely hope a lot of that inspires Larian. I hope they do implement even more accurate 5e rules.

That'd be nice, actually: Let's make it a race of "who can create the more accurate and feature complete 5e adaption"! wink

Last edited by WarBaby2; 21/10/20 02:52 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
On comparing the UI of both games.

SCotM UI is very very functional but needs to have the look polished which hopefully will be done at some point.

BG3 UI is barely usable but looks nice. It's going to take a lot of work to make BG3 really great and some of the art assets may need to be redone if Larian does revamp the UI.

Personally I think building the UI so it works great first then worry about the art assets is a better approach because in the end, used less developer time.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 21/10/20 02:48 PM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
My initial impression by playing Solasta is, IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY TO COMBINE THESE TWO GAMES!!!

BG 3 : 10x better graphics, 10000x better looking characters, voice acting, official Faerun license, etc.

Solasta : Easier/convenient interface, no surface nonsense = better combat, better DnD

For me, It's now proven : there should be an option/mod for "strict DnD 5e" rules mode in BG3.

Last edited by Lumign; 21/10/20 03:28 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lumign
For me, It's now proven : there should be an option/mod for "strict DnD 5e" rules mode in BG3.

Modders are already working on that.

DnD Rebalancing

I just hate that Larian seems to becoming another Bethesda, expecting modders to fix their games. I wish Larian would add a "House Rule" tab in options where we could turn off the various changes Larian is making to 5e rules.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Originally Posted by Lumign

Modders are already working on that.

DnD Rebalancing

I just hate that Larian seems to becoming another Bethesda, expecting modders to fix their games. I wish Larian would add a "House Rule" tab in options where we could turn off the various changes Larian is making to 5e rules.

unfortunately there's nothing modders can do about elevation at the moment, and until they do, fights won't play how you expect a 5e fight to play

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard