Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm sure this is something most people have noticed but having characters in your party over their weight carrying capacity doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. Is that a 5e thing or just a design oversight?

Joined: Oct 2020
vel Offline
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
When you hit 2x your weight limit you'll be encumbered and either walk slowly or be unable to move.

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
They should really just double everyone's visual carrying capacity and make it so when that bar fills you become encumbered...

Joined: Oct 2020
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by vel
When you hit 2x your weight limit you'll be encumbered and either walk slowly or be unable to move.


That seems silly and counterintuitive. Why not just double the weight limits then?

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
They should really just double everyone's visual carrying capacity and make it so when that bar fills you become encumbered...


Weight in BG3 affects how far someone can run in combat up. So don't load up Astarion if you want him to run around the whole map wink.

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
They should really just double everyone's visual carrying capacity and make it so when that bar fills you become encumbered...


Weight in BG3 affects how far someone can run in combat up. So don't load up Astarion if you want him to run around the whole map wink.

what.

...does this only happen if they're carrying over their capacity? Does additional weight past this limit slow them down more and more or is it a flat decrease?

Joined: Mar 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2020
There are plenty of backpacks in the game that you can fill with heavy items and drop them at the first sign of combat...then pick them up and go sell.

You can also send items to camp.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Carrying capacity is an outdated and annoying mechanic. Especially in games like this one, where you can send your stuff to party members or camp stash in an instant.
I'd prefer a "difficulty" checkbox in the beginning to remove it but if that doesn't happen I'll mod it out.
If you somehow enjoy that hindrance then more power to you though. I don't judge.

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
I sent stuff to camp and then picked everything up from the chest and could not move - so weight does matter

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
They should really just double everyone's visual carrying capacity and make it so when that bar fills you become encumbered...


Weight in BG3 affects how far someone can run in combat up. So don't load up Astarion if you want him to run around the whole map wink.

what.

...does this only happen if they're carrying over their capacity? Does additional weight past this limit slow them down more and more or is it a flat decrease?



I'm not sure exactly how it works, I just started thinking about it as a problem when I noticed my Shadowheart could barely move in combat in one of my plays.

So I just spread the load up evenly now, and sell when I get back to a trader up.

Joined: Oct 2020
D
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Syrek
Carrying capacity is an outdated and annoying mechanic. Especially in games like this one, where you can send your stuff to party members or camp stash in an instant.
I'd prefer a "difficulty" checkbox in the beginning to remove it but if that doesn't happen I'll mod it out.
If you somehow enjoy that hindrance then more power to you though. I don't judge.



yea but it would prevent you from carrying around barrels which would avoid some of the barrelmancy stuff people are complaining about.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
You cans till jump in combat while encumbered mage up

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by dza101
Originally Posted by Syrek
Carrying capacity is an outdated and annoying mechanic. Especially in games like this one, where you can send your stuff to party members or camp stash in an instant.
I'd prefer a "difficulty" checkbox in the beginning to remove it but if that doesn't happen I'll mod it out.
If you somehow enjoy that hindrance then more power to you though. I don't judge.



yea but it would prevent you from carrying around barrels which would avoid some of the barrelmancy stuff people are complaining about.

If barrels are the issue then simply increase the weight of barrels otherwise encumbrance is fine the way it currently is. You start walking slowly once you've exceeded 2x your weight limit.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Syrek
Carrying capacity is an outdated and annoying mechanic. Especially in games like this one, where you can send your stuff to party members or camp stash in an instant.
I'd prefer a "difficulty" checkbox in the beginning to remove it but if that doesn't happen I'll mod it out.
If you somehow enjoy that hindrance then more power to you though. I don't judge.


I like the way Pathfinder: Kingmaker does it where it's carrying capacity for the group and a single group inventory. It eliminates the constant need to shuffle stuff around to keep individuals under capacity. I can see where that might not work with this game due to it having multiplayer though. I'd probably settle for them just putting the actual carrying capacity on the inventory screen though. I'd have never known I could carry double the amount stated before I started seeing adverse effects had I not made this thread. The current system is counterintuitive.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
There are optional rules in the basic D&D game which give penalties according to how encumbered you are. Your STR determines your carrying and lifting capacity, and carrying set multiples of this number can affect things like movement and attracting Disadvantage on rolls. Back in the day, Monks, Duellists and Barbarians had to watch their encumbrance because they were penalised for hitting certain encumbrance levels, a real pain in the posterior because you had to track what you were carrying quite carefully. This seems to be mostly gone from 5e, but it is possible that Larian could bring it back because it is easier to track for a CRPG.

In PnP 5e the Encumbrance rules are deliberately simple and, in my experience, mostly ignored. In a CRPG where you can pick up barrels or oil, it is likely to be used more extensively.

Using a computer enables the game to track encumbrance more elegantly that in PnP, so I imagine that Larian are planning to use Encumbrance rules more extensively than most PnP groups. What comes after EA we'll have to see.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Italy
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Italy
I think I would prefer an inventory system similar to that of NWN

[img]https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.8m5rlwOTVxRusTzWk9xyNgHaFj&pid=Api[/img]

because of two reasons:
1) It's more realistic to have a limitation on space even before a limitation on weight. To see my halfling trow a chest bigger than him from his pocket is really nonsensical.
2) It also has a lovely limitation on weight, same reasons as before. Going around with 11 sets of armour is just silly.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Italy
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Osprey39

I like the way Pathfinder: Kingmaker does it where it's carrying capacity for the group and a single group inventory. It eliminates the constant need to shuffle stuff around to keep individuals under capacity. I can see where that might not work with this game due to it having multiplayer though. I'd probably settle for them just putting the actual carrying capacity on the inventory screen though. I'd have never known I could carry double the amount stated before I started seeing adverse effects had I not made this thread. The current system is counterintuitive.



I think they have almost nailed in regard to weight limitation. Your speed is proportional to the weight you are carrying, not like in Skyrim or other games where you can go around with 40 tons of trash just fine, but as soon as you add a feather on top of it you are almost immobilized.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Sadurian
There are optional rules in the basic D&D game which give penalties according to how encumbered you are. Your STR determines your carrying and lifting capacity, and carrying set multiples of this number can affect things like movement and attracting Disadvantage on rolls. Back in the day, Monks, Duellists and Barbarians had to watch their encumbrance because they were penalised for hitting certain encumbrance levels, a real pain in the posterior because you had to track what you were carrying quite carefully. This seems to be mostly gone from 5e, but it is possible that Larian could bring it back because it is easier to track for a CRPG.

In PnP 5e the Encumbrance rules are deliberately simple and, in my experience, mostly ignored. In a CRPG where you can pick up barrels or oil, it is likely to be used more extensively.

Using a computer enables the game to track encumbrance more elegantly that in PnP, so I imagine that Larian are planning to use Encumbrance rules more extensively than most PnP groups. What comes after EA we'll have to see.


I'd love an official statement on this since I'm quite positive no one has tested this yet in EA. Would maybe give an explanation for the wildly different hit rates some people are experiencing.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Here is a thought though - perhaps we might have bag of holdings eventually that'll make the weight limit issue a thing of the past. wink I am hoping though that they make a better inventory system to help organize the loot we are carrying. As it stands when you have to hunt and pick over everything to find items and loot when you do have a lot of items on hand it seems rather time consuming. I do like the system they have where you can equip items to any of the group characters even if another character is carrying the item. Saves on time on that. Just wish maybe potions and scrolls had their own inventory space so you don't accidentally sell something you don't intend to sell. Also would like story items to maybe have their own section as well to as not to again accidentally sell something that you don't intend to sell. I have not had this issue mind you, but I can see it happening to people in the future. The inventory system just needs to be cleaned up some. Same with the traders. I am sure this is a low priority for them right now, but it would be a nice thing to look into for the future before the official launch of the finish game.

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by Ghost King
Here is a thought though - perhaps we might have bag of holdings eventually that'll make the weight limit issue a thing of the past. wink

Again, we can look to Pathfinder: Kingmaker for how bags of holding can be implemented: simply add X lbs to a character's (or the total party) carrying capacity

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5