Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Joined: Oct 2020
Dip will add the free d4 damage to both your main hand and your offhand with a single bonus action. 2d4 on top of your normal damage

Last edited by genobeam; 21/10/20 06:23 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
If you bring a lit candle as a portable dipping device you can get this free d4 whenever you want!

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Have anyone manage to dip into anything else than fire?


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Dipping is so immersive and so D&D Xmas

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Maximuuus; 21/10/20 06:13 PM.
Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Have anyone manage to dip into anything else than fire?


Acid pools from enemy spells.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
The whole "dip any weapon to gain more damage" is not what I wanted to see in this game. Especially when you can carry those candles around and they cost no action to drop on the ground. Basically the same thing as adding +d4 to all weapons, just need a couple clicks and there's no cost (except the hassle of carrying and dropping the candles). I don't even understand how holding a metal blade over a fire makes it a flaming sword (even if it was a big bonfire instead of a candle). Please, just consider removing gimmicks like this before the full release.

Joined: Oct 2020
K
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
K
Joined: Oct 2020
Imagine the possibilities
Drop a dagger and dip your sword into it to obtain d4 piercing
Drop one of those brains in a jar, d4 psionic
Kill something, dip. d4 necrotic
Dip in some dice to reroll 1s
While standing on grass to obtain d4 nature
While on an incline to obtain d4 fall damage

Joined: Mar 2019
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2019
I don’t know why they including ‘dip’ as a thing. It needs to be limited to the rarest of circumstances, if not removed entirely.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Mythago
Please, just consider removing gimmicks like this before the full release.


+1

For me, the main reason to remove it, aside from just being a ludicrous mechanic, is that enemies don't use it. At least I've never noticed it. There should be no exploits the player can use that the enemy AI can't also use. The AI is already at a huge disadvantage against a skilled player, unless they have large numbers to compensate. And I really don't want to see enemies dipping their weapons in acid or fire against me, either.

Joined: Mar 2019
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2019
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Mythago
Please, just consider removing gimmicks like this before the full release.


+1

For me, the main reason to remove it, aside from just being a ludicrous mechanic, is that enemies don't use it. At least I've never noticed it. There should be no exploits the player can use that the enemy AI can't also use. The AI is already at a huge disadvantage against a skilled player, unless they have large numbers to compensate. And I really don't want to see enemies dipping their weapons in acid or fire against me, either.

Great point

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Mythago
The whole "dip any weapon to gain more damage" is not what I wanted to see in this game. Especially when you can carry those candles around and they cost no action to drop on the ground. Basically the same thing as adding +d4 to all weapons, just need a couple clicks and there's no cost (except the hassle of carrying and dropping the candles). I don't even understand how holding a metal blade over a fire makes it a flaming sword (even if it was a big bonfire instead of a candle). Please, just consider removing gimmicks like this before the full release.


Agreed. I don't use this, mostly out of laziness but it is a pretty stupid concept.

Joined: Oct 2020
V
member
Offline
member
V
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Mythago
Please, just consider removing gimmicks like this before the full release.


+1

For me, the main reason to remove it, aside from just being a ludicrous mechanic, is that enemies don't use it. At least I've never noticed it. There should be no exploits the player can use that the enemy AI can't also use. The AI is already at a huge disadvantage against a skilled player, unless they have large numbers to compensate. And I really don't want to see enemies dipping their weapons in acid or fire against me, either.


They do however often have acid or fire arrows at least. Seen that a lot. I do not know whether they have them on person, but they do fire them. I am torn on this, it is a tactical feature, and it can be useful. The candles, however, well that is a bit over the top. Dippng is a bonus action though and therefore a resource, generally worth it and is not infinite either, it seems to last only a round or so, when done out of combat. In the end, isn't it like the Flame Sword spell?

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by VincentNZ

They do however often have acid or fire arrows at least. Seen that a lot. I do not know whether they have them on person, but they do fire them. I am torn on this, it is a tactical feature, and it can be useful. The candles, however, well that is a bit over the top. Dippng is a bonus action though and therefore a resource, generally worth it and is not infinite either, it seems to last only a round or so, when done out of combat. In the end, isn't it like the Flame Sword spell?


Something like that. And I definitely don’t want bonus action Flame Sword spell for everyone. I’m not against occasional terrain effects and barrels, but currently there’s too many of them. I want my class abilities to have a meaningful effect, not just exploit the terrain for similar or better outcome.

Joined: Oct 2020
D
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Mythago
Please, just consider removing gimmicks like this before the full release.


+1

For me, the main reason to remove it, aside from just being a ludicrous mechanic, is that enemies don't use it. At least I've never noticed it. There should be no exploits the player can use that the enemy AI can't also use. The AI is already at a huge disadvantage against a skilled player, unless they have large numbers to compensate. And I really don't want to see enemies dipping their weapons in acid or fire against me, either.


They do however often have acid or fire arrows at least. Seen that a lot. I do not know whether they have them on person, but they do fire them. I am torn on this, it is a tactical feature, and it can be useful. The candles, however, well that is a bit over the top. Dippng is a bonus action though and therefore a resource, generally worth it and is not infinite either, it seems to last only a round or so, when done out of combat. In the end, isn't it like the Flame Sword spell?


It would be better if you couldn't dip from candles, which is silly. And you should have to use a flask of oil on your weapon before dipping it in fire.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Katj
Imagine the possibilities
Drop a dagger and dip your sword into it to obtain d4 piercing
Drop one of those brains in a jar, d4 psionic
Kill something, dip. d4 necrotic
Dip in some dice to reroll 1s
While standing on grass to obtain d4 nature
While on an incline to obtain d4 fall damage



Haha, the last one got me.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
I think it's kinda silly and unneeded honestly.

Last edited by VhexLambda; 22/10/20 07:37 AM.
Joined: Aug 2019
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2019
This stuff trivializes spells and class abilities.

Joined: Oct 2020
V
member
Offline
member
V
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Ignatius
This stuff trivializes spells and class abilities.


Yeah this is working as intended though. First DoS games tendencially work like that, that is where the all the surface abilities come from. Secondly we only have 4 party members, so traditional roles need to be filled partially by anyone without having a dysfunctional party in some regard.
There is work to do, definitely though, candles can be seen as an issue, as are all the environmental effects that can be used by the player or the AI. Still, while it can be unnerving and unusual, I think adapting is comparably easy, although I would want some tweaks as well.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Australia
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Australia
I agree needs to be removed.. and dodges added in its place.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
I kinda like the dipping in general, but being able to do it from a candle is just asinine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5