Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#710718 21/10/20 04:03 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Dodge action, disengage, and ready action should really be in the game. Without them the combat feels a lot more shallow compared to the tabletop.

I believe the dodge is self-explanatory, and we've already written a book about jump-disengage doing more harm than good, but I wish to add another, little point why jump to disengage is particularly annoying, namely minimal distance required to jump.
It rarely happens, but sometimes you need to disengage to move just about 2.5 feet. The scenario above happened luckily only twice during my playthrough, but by the nine hells it feels absolutely horrible. Your only two options are either jumping as far away as you can, and then hopefully be able to run back, or eat up the attack. Granted, in pnp it probably would not have mattered, because you cannot use the bonus action to attack with a weapon (when dual wielding, although personally I love that little change Larian did), but the lack of dedicated disengage button ruins the flow IMHO.
I suggest scrapping the whole jump-disengage package, make disengage an action, and allow us to jump in combat "for free" (possibly limited to one jump if it creates unforseen issues). Jumping on its own feels great, however I do think paying either of the actions for AoP provoking jump would be leaning on "feels bad to use" side.

About ready action.
Understandably it's really hard to translate from pnp to digital environment, but my suggestion is something along those lines: As an action+reaction you can "delay" your turn, by clicking somewhere between portraits you "put yourself" there just for this turn.
Let's say the turn order is: Gale, Goblin, Bugbear, Warg, you use the ready action as Gale, and put yourself between Bugbear and Warg, the rest does their turn until your "second turn" between Bugbear and Warg comes. You then do the turn as normal, however you cannot move, and you have access only to the regular action. Principally it works almost like ready action from tabletop. It is a little bit more clunky because it requires anticipating the movement of the enemies, but I think it might a bit more depth to the combat, and make the game feel closer to the ultimate D&D experience.

Originally Posted by Bearhugger
Dodge action, disengage, and ready action should really be in the game. Without them the combat feels a lot more shallow compared to the tabletop.

I like that idea for "ready action", the Divinity game had the option to drop down in queue (although I think you stayed in that position after you did it once).

My idea for "ready action" was for a proximity attack feature. You may of seen a similar mechanic in other strategy games. Essentially this is the "hold your ground and attack something that crosses this area" command. When I play pnp, this is generally the most common usage of the ready action.

However I do like your idea a bit better as it would be more flexible, kinda like the pnp feature is. One thing to keep in mind is in the pnp, when you ready an action, you are essentially also giving up your reaction. This is technically how it works: on your turn you ready an action and set a trigger for it. When the conditions for the trigger are met on someone elses turn, you use your reaction to execute the readied action.

To translate your idea to this game, it would essentially mean you "Ready your action for the moment character x does something" and you would position yourself in the queue right before character x, as if you were watching them and reacting the second they move. Essentially movement must be done on your turn, your bonus action can only be used on your turn and your reaction is spent in the process as well.

in either case, a "use this action at first target that enters range" or a "use this action as a reaction to target taking its turn". I would love to see more actual commands from the pnp game as the "1 action per round" economy really relies on having a variety of appropriate choices

Last edited by pill0ws; 21/10/20 04:22 PM.
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
thought about the same things but in my mind i already settled on no ready action because it would be a pain to add and clunky.
but your idea is actually not that bad. good job.

stranger
stranger
Its implemented in Solasta in their EA. Seems to work just fine, not sure why it would be a pain to add. This is an important combat feature. Love that this is D&D but really hating the homebrew rules Larian created instead of just sticking to the D&D rule set.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Readied actions can add quite a bit of tactical depth - I'd love to see them. Dodge is a must - particularly before the monk is implemented (they can dodge as a bonus action with the use of ki).

pill0ws #715401 24/10/20 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by pill0ws

I like that idea for "ready action", the Divinity game had the option to drop down in queue (although I think you stayed in that position after you did it once).

Just here to confirm that Divinity 2 "delay turn" only lasted for that one turn and you didn´t get stuck in that last place. But divinity rolls initiative differently for every round so is a bit unpredictable where you are going to end up next time.

Link Copied to Clipboard