Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
If you Jump 20 feet, it should consume 20 feet speed. Right now Jumping consumes 10 ft of speed so you can increase your speed by 15 feet or so if you jump and have high strength. Jump should be changed to consume the correct amount of speed.

Rationale:

Firstly, It's overly complicated. Planning your turn out now involves seeing if a jump can get you there when a normal move would not. On top of that you have to make sure you jump before you use up too much speed, or you'll lose the ability to jump altogether.

Secondly, it changes the balance of stats, and makes STR a useful stat for every class (doubly so for rogues who get 2 bonus actions). Every extra point in STR gives you a little extra jump distance you can add to your speed. This doesn't seem to be a huge deal, just something to think about.

Suggestion: change jump so you can't cheat out extra speed. Let players jump less than 10 feet if they want and consume the correct amount of speed, so there is no distance where you lose the ability to jump.

STR would still affect how far you can jump, important for clearing large gaps and changes in height, but doesn't give the extra benefit of more speed also.

Suggestion2: separate jump/disengage and make jump a free action instead of a bonus action. If jump isn't giving bonus speed, no reason why it has to be a bonus action. (corollary, let us walk through allies so we dont have to use jump so much).

Last edited by genobeam; 21/10/20 06:21 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Jumping feels to me like the most broken thing in this wonderful early access.

1) It's overpowered: as OP said, it should consume as much feet/meters as your jump covers. Right now you can "move" for very long distances thanks to jumping.
2) Should be a free action, think about a scenario where you have to make multiple small jumps...it has to be a free action.
3) You should trigger opportunity attacks if you leave a threatened area.
4) Landing anywhere near an enemy should make some noise and trigger stealth checks.
5) Activate auto-jump while not in a fight.

What do you think?

edit: spelling

Last edited by LazyFerret; 22/10/20 11:45 AM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Really confused by some of the suggestions here.

I don't think either one of you played as a rogue or a ranger. Try playing as that class and see how far you get if you were to pretend to add an added cost to jump (nerf rogue into the ground to where he is unplayable) or make it a free action (buff rogue through the roof to where he is beyond OP).

Jump also behaves differently depending on gear and skills. Small jumps are almost insignificant, but big jumps that are meaningful you need to solve for taking damage being prone.

Last edited by cgexile; 22/10/20 12:11 PM.
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Originally Posted by cgexile
Really confused by some of the suggestions here.

I don't think either one of you played as a rogue or a ranger. Try playing as that class and see how far you get if you were to pretend to add an added cost to jump (nerf rogue into the ground to where he is unplayable) or make it a free action (buff rogue through the roof to where he is beyond OP).

Jump also behaves differently depending on gear and skills. Small jumps are almost insignificant, but big jumps that are meaningful you need to solve for taking damage being prone.

Neither of us is talking about adding an additional cost. How does jump as a free action make rogue OP if it doesn't give extra speed?

veteran
veteran
I agree that there is something strange atm...

If I don't jump, I can't go and attack this target with my melee weapon.
If I jump, I can...

Jump should be a mecanic only used to deal with the verticality and nothing more.

- Jump and disengage shouldn',t be the same bonus action.
- Disengage shouldn't be possible if you're not a rogue or if you don't use a specific spell/skill
- Jump shouldn't avoid attack of opportunity.
- You shouldn't be able to jump if you're in a surface (this mean that the game need way less surface effects)

Combats looks a little bit ridiculous atm because everyone jump at every turn for a reason or another...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/10/20 01:04 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
Right now, Jumping is straight up overpowered AF.

It disengages, it uses less movement than it should, it ignores a large variety of obstacles and areas... It protects you against a LOT, with little to no drawback. I use it constantly to go further than my speed should allow me to go.

Now, it's a nice feature, and the fact that I feel like resorting to it often means it's useful and well designed. But it needs tweaking to be sure.

G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Corren
Right now, Jumping is straight up overpowered AF.

It disengages, it uses less movement than it should, it ignores a large variety of obstacles and areas... It protects you against a LOT, with little to no drawback. I use it constantly to go further than my speed should allow me to go.

Now, it's a nice feature, and the fact that I feel like resorting to it often means it's useful and well designed. But it needs tweaking to be sure.

Yeah no idea why people complain about push. Dip and Jump/disengage are way better.

Link Copied to Clipboard