Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#711052 21/10/20 06:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Joined: Sep 2020
Is amazing.

Everything BG3 should have been.

Sorry Larian, but unless you can turn BG around to be closer to Solasta than DOS, then you've failed.

'nuff said.

tsundokugames #711080 21/10/20 06:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Solasta does a few things right.

- It demonstrates that combat according to the 5e rules can be fun and exciting without needing a ton of homebrew stuff in.
- The dice rolling system is clean and understandable.
- The reaction system offers superior player control.

However, as early as I am into it, Solasta doesn't seem to have a lot to do outside of the combat, and it seems quite linear, with little emphasis on roleplaying and choices. BG 3 is much more solid in that area, with far more reactivity. It's also lacking race and class options, and unlike BG 3, those won't be added in later.

So while there are lessons which could be learned, there's no point in exaggerating and ignoring the things which BG3 does better than Solasta.

Last edited by Stabbey; 21/10/20 08:29 PM. Reason: added Reaction system point
tsundokugames #711162 21/10/20 07:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Joined: Sep 2020
I am sorry, I didn't realize my opinion was dependent on yours.

all of the shortcomings in Solasta you mention are potentially resolvable through EA.

and it is far more likely that Solasta will change over time than DOS3 will.

Larian took the easy road and copy/pastad their way to infamy.

and my point remains that BG3 needs to shift closer to Solasta and further from DOS in order to be considered a complete success.

The longer this goes on, the more and more BG3 becomes a niche game for Divinity fans.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 21/10/20 07:33 PM.
tsundokugames #711170 21/10/20 07:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
I am sorry, I didn't realize my opinion was dependent on yours.

all of the shortcomings in Solasta you mention are potentially resolvable through EA.

and it is far more likely that Solasta will change over time than DOS3 will.

Larian took the easy road and copy/pastad their way to infamy.

So you're not here on this discussion forum to discuss?

This could have just been a tweet on your part

override367 #711173 21/10/20 07:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by override367
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
I am sorry, I didn't realize my opinion was dependent on yours.

all of the shortcomings in Solasta you mention are potentially resolvable through EA.

and it is far more likely that Solasta will change over time than DOS3 will.

Larian took the easy road and copy/pastad their way to infamy.

So you're not here on this discussion forum to discuss?

This could have just been a tweet on your part


Except I don't use twitter, and this is the official forum for feedback.

And, I didn't refute anything he said either. rather, he told me my opinion should be different because of certain things in DOS3. I disagree. Therein lies the discussion. My opinion is still not dependent on his.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 21/10/20 07:35 PM.
tsundokugames #711175 21/10/20 07:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Copy pasted excisting assest to have a good start vs....what? Completly building things from the ground up?

They have an excisting engine that can be tooled to dnd rules. I dont see 'they copy pasted things from DOS II' as a valid argument against the game...

tsundokugames #711182 21/10/20 07:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Joined: Sep 2020
There is a difference between using the same engine, and using the same EVERYTHING including plot transitions and the entire enironmental economy.

BG3 is a carbon copy of DOS2 with updated textures and lighting. They grafted whatever 5e rules would fit on their Divinity rules, and threw out the rest.

The ENTIRE STRUCTURE of BG3 is an exact 1:1 skin job of DOS2.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 21/10/20 07:36 PM.
tsundokugames #711188 21/10/20 07:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
J
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
J
Joined: Oct 2020
Well considering BG3 is still 1 year to release and a team size of 300+ large Im hopeful many changes will be occurring. Its only logical they will as the past 2 games Larian has released also went through the same method.

Im happy you enjoy another game.

tsundokugames #711189 21/10/20 07:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
I am sorry, I didn't realize my opinion was dependent on yours.


Why create a thread if this is how you react to someone posting their opinion in it?


Personally, I think both BG3 and Solasta have strengths and weaknesses the other game doesn't, but we also need to remember that neither game is even close to finished yet, so doing the whole "which one's better" thing feels kind of silly at this stage.

Last edited by zeel; 21/10/20 07:39 PM.
tsundokugames #711190 21/10/20 07:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
I agree with Stabbey. The combat of Solasta is great and it should be an example to Larian.

The actual RP and exploration in Solasta is far behind that of BG3 however, and given their much smaller studio I have no hopes of them ever achieving what BG3 has in that area. That's fine. Solasta is still a fun game. I don't expect triple A quality from an indy game.

tsundokugames #711196 21/10/20 07:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
There is a difference between using the same engine, and using the same EVERYTHING including plot transitions and the entire enironmental economy.

BG3 is a carbon copy of DOS2 with updated textures and lighting. They grafted whatever 5e rules would fit on their Divinity rules, and threw out the rest.

The ENTIRE STRUCTURE of BG3 is an exact 1:1 skin job of DOS2.

Out of interest, what exactly do you think an engine exactly is?

tsundokugames #711202 21/10/20 07:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
vel Offline
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Agree with OP.

BG3 has good dialog and many choices and branches. Solasta is what BG3 should be for combat, 5e, surfaces, throwables, etc.


tsundokugames #711205 21/10/20 07:42 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by tsundokugames

all of the shortcomings in Solasta you mention are potentially resolvable through EA.


I don't think that this is right. One shortcoming is the mere fact that Solasta only has the SRD5.1 licence. This means a lot of pretty good DnD content can not be implemented. That said, I am with you that Solasta shows how much fun strict 5e combat can be.

But Solasta will probably always be a way smaller game, just because the Dev team is so much smaller. Which is finde, as they do a great job, but BG3 delivers as much and great content in EA as Solasta probably will have in full release.

But yeah: Larian, dont shy away from 5e. Embrace it.

Stabbey #711212 21/10/20 07:45 PM
Joined: May 2019
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: May 2019
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Solasta does a few things right.

- It demonstrates that combat according to the 5e rules can be fun and exciting without needing a ton of homebrew stuff in.
- The dice rolling system is clean and understandable.

However, as early as I am into it, Solasta doesn't seem to have a lot to do outside of the combat, and it seems quite linear, with little emphasis on roleplaying and choices. BG 3 is much more solid in that area, with far more reactivity. It's also lacking race and class options, and unlike BG 3, those won't be added in later.

So while there are lessons which could be learned, there's no point in exaggerating and ignoring the things which BG3 does better than Solasta.

I agree with you here. Combat looks to be so much faster, more smooth flowing, and more fun than it is in BG3. As someone who hates TB combat, Solasta's combat I can actually live with, unlike BG3 combat which I hate.

Your second point is correct too, though one needs to keep in mind the differences in the budgets of the two games which has a very direct impact on precisely this point.

tsundokugames #711250 21/10/20 08:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Joined: Sep 2020
^

tsundokugames #711252 21/10/20 08:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Yes, this is Tactical Adventures first game. Don't compare it to what the AAA studio like Larian has become. You should look at Larian's early games.

I plan to support Tactical Adventures with the hope that they will develop into another great AAA studio. Can't have too many great CRPGs.

tsundokugames #711277 21/10/20 08:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
You can't compare these games. Production wise, Solasta is so bad, it looks like a game made for a school project. The textures make my eyes bleed. The music is poor. Dialogues are generic and poorly written. If you want to compare games, at least take bigger productions like Pillars of Eternity or so. Who cares if it's more D&D 5e friendly. Most players don't care because they are not pnp players in the first place.

If you think Solasta is better than BG3, you should ask for a refund in steam, because Baldur's gate is clearly not for you. Or change your glasses. But do something.

Last edited by Nyanko; 21/10/20 08:17 PM.
tsundokugames #711289 21/10/20 08:22 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
I was very impressed with Solasta’s implementation of reactions, I don’t think it slowed combat at all. There is still a ton of tension in the fights, it does feel much more like tabletop D&D. It would be great if Solasta is a success and they can turn their game into a fully-fledged VTT. Fantasy Grounds is looking more and more like a joke these days.

Nyanko #711292 21/10/20 08:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Nyanko
You can't compare these games. Production wise, Solasta is so bad, it looks like a game made for a school project. The textures make my eyes bleed. The music is poor. Dialogues are generic and poorly written. If you want to compare games, at least take bigger productions like Pillars of Eternity or so. Who cares if it's more D&D 5e friendly. Most players don't care because they are not pnp players in the first place.

If you think Solasta is better than BG3, you should ask for a refund in steam, because Baldur's gate is clearly not for you. Or change your glasses. But do something.


Some people on this forum are so damn hostile, lol

Also: there are quite a few people caring about the truthfulness to 5e. 5e is pretty much the most popular tabletop atm. And Larian wanted to land the licence because of that. Maybe you don't care about it, which is more than fine, but generalizations are not really good feedback or ground for discussions. And even if you care for 5e or not, you should want it better implemented, as it more balanced as the hybrid between DOS and 5e.

tsundokugames #711300 21/10/20 08:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
I already played Solasta's first and second demo months ago and I enjoyed both well enough that I bought the early access yesterday just as it became available... But damn, if some people on this forum aren't almost actively trying to make me dislike the game at all costs, with their hyperbolic whine about how much better than BG3 is supposed to be (which is arguable and circumstantial at best, anyway).

Last edited by Tuco; 22/10/20 03:22 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5