Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
You lose HP and die if the enemy hits you with an attack that reduces you to 0 or less, and then you fail three Death saves. HP are absolutely important, and trying to eat food to heal when you are lying unconscious and dying is not going to work. Nor is eating food that restores 1-6 hp likely to be a good strategy when the enemy are hitting you for 2-12.

Have you actually played the D&D game before, because I am curious as to how anyone would declare that HP and levelling up were not important.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I have tried and you cannot =)

Emulate Offline OP
OP Offline
if you stack your characters on top of each other you can just revive your team mates after they die if you have more team mates than the enemy has you win, how is that a functioning mechanic or even good game design picking your same team mate off the ground 50x in a single fight? it's that how DND works?

Last edited by Emulate; 21/10/20 07:57 PM.
Originally Posted by Emulate
if you stack your characters on top of each other you can just revive your team mates after they die if you have more team mates than the enemy has you win, how is that a functioning mechanic?

So that every alchemist's fire, fire arrow and acid arrow hit your whole party? Briliant strategy!

apprentice
apprentice
I cant figure out what this dude is doing in his game! hahaha I certainly can't just stack my party on top of each other and chain food/help, especially since the combat AI right now goes hard for downed and low-hp characters. I must have helped my warlock up off the floor 4 times in the gith group fight the other day and at the end of each turn every time, an enemy shot her again, and back down she went.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
if you stack your characters on top of each other you can just revive your team mates after they die if you have more team mates than the enemy has you win, how is that a functioning mechanic or even good game design picking your same team mate off the ground 50x in a single fight? it's that how DND works?

I'm beginning to see why you could not cope with the game.

S
addict
addict
S
You don't need HP in this game, you can just chain eat food, every character has like infinite HP basically tanking just involved eating lots of food that's why I made it half way through the game not even leveling up... I'm trying to explain how broken things actually are its very obvious.

good luck chain eating food when you're one-shotted because you have 10 HP.

Last edited by Sigi98; 21/10/20 08:06 PM.
old hand
old hand

You cannot eat more than one or two food per turn, and it restores too little health. You haven't gotten to hard battles yet, where you have to load and replay

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
journeyman
journeyman
I am only half way through your video. I do agree with Fog of war.

However, a lot of the other things why you hate it I think will be addressed. Perhaps you should wait for a few updates and come back each time. The one thing I hope they clean up a lot is the amount of environment damage, enemy throwables, and special arrows. 300g from a vendor for a fire arrow but goblins run around with 3 4... just seem bad.

Also... you have to manual level up your characters. They have a plus sign on their portraits.

Also... you need to read up on 5e for DnD. Some of the things you hate about this game is not understand DnD

Last edited by Mezbarrena; 21/10/20 08:22 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
You can beat lots of (probably even most) games in absurd, ineffective and time-consuming ways if you are absolutely committed to not learning how to play or having fun. Sorry, but that’s a you problem, not a BG3 problem.

Last edited by Warlocke; 21/10/20 08:52 PM.
veteran
veteran
You locked the thread over some one CLEARLY trolling me saying if I didn't like looking over walls I should control my camera better, then him demanding that you lock my thread over me responding to him in a satirical fashion... And you did it.. I feel like there isn't much hope on these forums for anyone who doesn't fall in line, that's the vibes I'm getting here.

I have been posting in this forum since BG3 was announced in February, and I am well-known as a critic of the game for multiple reasons. And yet at no point has any mod on this forum even threatened to shut me up let alone actually do it. I happen to agree with a lot of your criticisms of BG3. But even I find some of the ways you choose to interact with people unlikable. Yes, we critics sometimes get unfairly attacked by some posters here. It's bound to happen. You can politely rebuff them, ignore them, or even flag their posts for the mods. But why give haters any ammunition to try and label you a troll?

addict
addict
I mean, you can keep making these posts on these forums, but you can't stop people from dragging you for not understanding basic RPG concepts or video game development practices and downvoting your horrible take on YouTube.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J

In 5e how it works is if someone goes down the only way to get them up is through giving them HP in some form, have them drink a potion of healing, spells etc.

Help Action in 5e DOES NOT bring people up to 1 hp in tabletop.

If people are out of healing, there is a cantrip called Spare the Dying that stabilizes someone from bleeding to death, as well as making a Medicine check or Healing Kit.

Last edited by Jazhara202; 21/10/20 08:57 PM.
stranger
stranger
It is your poor attitude that leads to moderation, not poor moderation. Stop being a turd, and you won't get moderated.

Is this thing on?
stranger
stranger
I agree with some of your review points, I am however having lots of fun/ I find fight on the easy side except some of the boss fights/ I like the inventory / I like the overall look and feel of the game. Love the sounds and music, and can't wait for next chapters.

- The camp resting needs to change . Just finished a battle, surrounded by goblins In the middle of nowhere and hurting, and I decide to cast 'teleport' and go to camp. I rest, see other characters, my dog etc. then I decide to come back to reality, where time has not seem to advanced 1 minute (corps still there etc...). I would prefer finding camp sites here and there and sleeping there. Having a house/bar/pub somewhere on the map to go see my other characters /waiting to get chosen. To balance out the game, since you will be resting less , less spells to use /weaker party, you could lower the monster count.
- The food does not make much sense in battle. In the middle of a big fight , I shout ,'break time, take 5' and we all eat a full pigs head to gain HPs. Maybe increase potion availability/cheaper to buy. Eating outside of combat is ok.
- Fog of war is needed, I agree. I have not yet seen what lies beyond, so how can I view it.

jrf773 #711483 21/10/20 10:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by jrf773
It is your poor attitude that leads to moderation, not poor moderation. Stop being a turd, and you won't get moderated.

Calling people turds should also draw moderator attention.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The FOW is a good point; if they'd optionally include a WASD direct control for the over the shoulder camera I'd probably play exploration with that anyways (and switch to something more tactical for the combat, just like NWN 2).

That said contrary to yours, I didn't really enjoy DOS/1 overly much (thus so far never played the second part). It was overly goofy with no much compelling overarching plot, clearly designed for co-op above all else, the inventory system was the worst I've seen in ages, the maps were full of unavoidable and oft repeat combat in particular later on (endless waves of Orcs and stuff), and the looting and item system pretty bad (rarely a good idea to give items levels themselves -- everything turned to crap but a couple hours later). Speaking of which, the game was absurdly linear due to all that level gating in general despite pretending to be open. It's curious that it ever won accolades at the RPG Codex of all places to me, but then back then it sort of marked the return of TB combat, so there.

This, to me, shapes up to be on a completely different level though, luckily (inventory systems still don't seem Larian's forte though).. Some of that may be helped by D&D (no levels for items, hurray), but heh. The biggest inclines so far are that the game actually IS reasonably open rather than pretending to being so, that they take the narrative some more serious, that here and there there is some amazing environment interactions even of opposition and that the combat encounters overall seem more unique. Itemization/loot is also lots better, handplaced stuff that is reasonably rare, like in some Infinity Engine games. Don't think it will rival the memories I have in particular of playing BG1 in 1999 (still replay it from time to time), but it's overall coming along pretty nicely. Still not the biggest fan of Larian's corridor/theme park kind of compressed map design tho. You guys played and loved Ultima, didn't you? laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 21/10/20 10:51 PM.
yea, the "corridor themepark" map design is brutal. Once you make it to underdark, you start to feel the pain of "nerfing every spells range in order to appease the tight battle maps they are forcing us into" The Hooked Horor fight is large enough and open enough that the 60ft range felt like crap. On top of everything, the caster is the most likely to be targeted first. So not only did they shave the range down ,the AI is coming for dat ass if you get within 60ft

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by jrf773

Calling people turds should also draw moderator attention.

It will remind me to remind everybody to please be polite. Although poorly-worded, jrf773's assessment is otherwise correct, however.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
I like the game?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard