Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#711569 21/10/20 11:36 PM
ste100 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'am so jealous when i read comments from the people who really enjoy BG3.
For the last 4 days i'am forcing myself to play as this game completely doesen't work for me in the terms of main story, companions and combat.
Maybe it will be better to uninstall EA and wait for final release.

ste100 #711581 21/10/20 11:41 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ste100
I'am so jealous when i read comments from the people who really enjoy BG3.
For the last 4 days i'am forcing myself to play as this game completely doesen't work for me in the terms of main story, companions and combat.
Maybe it will be better to uninstall EA and wait for final release.

Been there... done that. Then I started simultaneous replays of BG1 and Pathfinder Kingmaker, and felt instantly better. laugh

ste100 #711590 21/10/20 11:45 PM
old hand
old hand
I feel the same way about TES Oblivion and the Witcher series. I just couldn't get into them.

ste100 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Oh thanks, at least i am not alone in this.
Been thinking for a minute that maybe something is not right with me when i saw so many positive reviews around.

ste100 #711624 22/10/20 12:21 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Been thinking for a minute that maybe something is not right with me when i saw so many positive reviews around.

Yea, no, I recon it will take a while before the actual critical (p)reviews will come... probably closer to release. Also, far to many of said positive reviews come from people, that mostly like Larian's games (esoecially DOS2), but have little to no experience with D&D5 and/or the original BG games. Also also, as this forum shows, are the actual people that chose to drop 60 quid for this EA, already much more citical of the game.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 22/10/20 12:22 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

Yea, no, I recon it will take a while before the actual critical (p)reviews will come... probably closer to release. Also, far to many of said positive reviews come from people, that mostly like Larian's games (esoecially DOS2), but have little to no experience with D&D5 and/or the original BG games. Also also, as this forum shows, are the actual people that chose to drop 60 quid for this EA, already much more citical of the game.

I'm sort of all over the place about this one. I have played both BG games, both IWD games, both NWN games, DDO, the Neverwinter MMO, some Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and DOS2 some, never finished my first playthrough, but I've been distracted by other things. I haven't played PnP since 4e. I like what we have, within the bounds of knowing some of the things I've reported on will be fixed, I hope. Things like having to go in and manually delete my quick saves and auto saves because if I don't the game will sometimes crash, which I started a thread about, bother me, and I've discussed that, and some other changes I'd like to see, such as a manual search button to team up with passive perception checks.

I knew what I was in for when I signed up though, which is why I'm not overly negative. This isn't my first Beta, and really this is more like Alpha. I knew it was incomplete, even for what we have. I knew I was going to encounter bugs, and I also knew that Larian themselves encouraged people not to buy the game if they were looking for a polished, complete experience. So instead of grabbing my pitchfork, and meeting everyone at the bonfire to "burn it down", and running down people that disagree with me because "they probably don't know anything about DnD or DnD games", I just dispute things I don't agree with, and support things I do. I also understand that people's preferences differ, it's why I listed the games I did in my first post here, because despite those games being insanely popular, I couldn't get into them. I didn't go on their forums trying to claim those people just don't understand games/gaming because they like them, in fact, I don't go at all.

These forums are for feedback, but nowhere have I seen an official post saying "We only want negative feedback, if you're not ready to drag us and our families through the mud because you're unhappy, don't provide your feedback". I've had bad experiences, and good ones, I've got a different perspective on the companions, because I'm relieved they're not player-centric to the point of blandness, and I understand that the relationships we're building with them now are the tip of the iceberg where they're concerned, because I understand that finishing their story arcs in the first act just doesn't make any sense at all. So it's essentially teaser material, and I've had some rather pleasant, and some rather unpleasant dialogs about all of this.

I understand that opinions are going to vary. I also understand that my opinions may not sit well with others, and I don't care. Just because I'm not overwhelmingly unhappy with what we've got so far, however, has nothing to do with my gaming history. I finished BG 110+ times, complete finishes. BG 2 is close to 100. I spent 5 years in NWN, 2 of those building. I played DDO for 8 years. I understand DnD, and DnD based games, even if I'm not up on all the current rules. It's a matter of personal taste, and while I'm not overwhelmed with how good this game is, I'm not overly disappointed in it either.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by robertthebard
I feel the same way about TES Oblivion and the Witcher series. I just couldn't get into them.

It's not hard to be lukewarm towards the Witcher, tbh. Outside of the mediocre combat and generally controls (which even its fans usually acknowledge), it's pretty much just a movie / cutscene that witcher senses itself. I prefer games that are a tad more interactive, usually. Maybe one day I'll still sit through it, er, finish it though.

For a while I had actually assumed that Larian may take a similar route with BG3, what with their much increased budget and team size, and The Witcher 3 apparently being the AAA benchmark. But gladly they didn't.

Overall I enjoy this EA, even though a) my prior experience with Larian games was lukewarm likewise (DOS1) and b) I've played the originals. Never really cared for the Divinity series in general somehow, though back in the 90s I for sure would have picked up the cancelled The Lady, The Mage And The Knight, as an official The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge game. laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 22/10/20 01:04 AM.
ste100 #711764 22/10/20 02:32 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A
This is an EA title... the reasoning, typically, is that you want to support the devs in developing this game and to give accurate feed back to make the game better.

I personally only played 20 minutes or so of the game to get a feel for the combat etc and barely touched the story. Id rather keep that unspoiled as much as possible until the game is fully released.

Sven_ #711896 22/10/20 06:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sven_
Originally Posted by robertthebard

It's not hard to be lukewarm towards the Witcher, tbh. Outside of the mediocre combat and generally controls (which even its fans usually acknowledge), it's pretty much just a movie / cutscene that witcher senses itself. I prefer games that are a tad more interactive, usually. Maybe one day I'll still sit through it, er, finish it though.

For a while I had actually assumed that Larian may take a similar route with BG3, what with their much increased budget and team size, and The Witcher 3 apparently being the AAA benchmark. But gladly they didn't.

Overall I enjoy this EA, even though a) my prior experience with Larian games was lukewarm likewise (DOS1) and b) I've played the originals. Never really cared for the Divinity series in general somehow, though back in the 90s I for sure would have picked up the cancelled The Lady, The Mage And The Knight, as an official The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge game. laugh

Ah, the Witcher series isn't half bad, and W3 is still probably one of my favourite games, but they are not RPGs in the traditional sense...

BG3, on the other hand, schould be... beats me why Larian suddenly thinks they are Dragon Age Origins era BioWare.

Link Copied to Clipboard