Next Thread
Print Thread
#711904 22/10/20 06:28 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I feel like my avatar is a bit bland... I chose a voice for him but he doesn't talk in dialogue. Couldn't we slide a little more voice acting in there? It'd really flesh out the player character a bit. What do we think?

veteran
veteran
I like it as it is to be honest ...
Its not like character is muted ... s/he talks in world quite often, and in conversations personaly i have no need to listen again what i just readed. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I like it as it is to be honest ...
Its not like character is muted ... s/he talks in world quite often, and in conversations personaly i have no need to listen again what i just readed. :-/

I agree. Plus, unvoiced dialogue makes way for considerable more rp options. I fill in the voice/personality of my character in my head.

veteran
veteran
Ah younglings who don't know Bioware. My opinion in short - voicing the MC is too much work and doesn't worth it

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
On one hand, I agree, we feel bland, on the other hand it's "by design".

Some time ago I watched a video about Commander Shepard and Mass Effect, and how it was actually a huge step forward to have a main character that talks.

The "problem" that rises from that is that you are no longer roleplaying YOUR character, you are playing someone else's character. No matter how much work you put into the character it's never going to be a 1 to 1 of how you interpret your character.
Even if they read the sentence you pick, they might read it differently.

What I somethimes feel though, especially noticable in multi player:

You don't get a feeling your character is interacting. you just pick a choice and see a reaction. In the multiplayer coversations you actually don't pick up on what everyone else is "saying" just get a "okay we are in agreement" at the end.

Not sure how to make it feel more like you are talking, without talking, though.

X
stranger
stranger
X
Why not just have the option to have a fully voiced player character and for those who don't want that give them the option to turn it off. People have posted that Larian has said that the pc will eventually be fully voiced though that idea maybe scrapped or still being worked on. I personally find it distracting that our pc is a mute for a lot of the conversations and it takes me out of the game and just makes it look awkward. It was one of the few things I didn't like about Dragon Age Origins.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Scrafuffle
I feel like my avatar is a bit bland... I chose a voice for him but he doesn't talk in dialogue. Couldn't we slide a little more voice acting in there? It'd really flesh out the player character a bit. What do we think?

I agree, in it's current form conversations are unnatural and awkward as hell, watching the main characters just walking around making faces takes me out of the game every single time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by xyamuchax
Why not just have the option to have a fully voiced player character and for those who don't want that give them the option to turn it off.

My bet goes on money ...
Usualy dubbing is one of more expensive parts of development. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
You Don't think it's jarring when they talk sometimes and are silent the rest of the time? Or how they enter an encounter and just stare awkwardly at ppl?

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I think the PC talks once? It's really confusing and feels like a scene they were testing the idea in and forgot to remove it.

Either full voiced or not voiced at all. A half-way in between does feel really janky.

Personally I enjoy no voiced protag. I'm already reading the text before selecting it. I don't need the character to say it. I'd be skipping that anyways.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I too am sad about the MC not talking, voiceover is what set the tone of the immersion for me.
I also completely disagree whit the fact that a muted MC brings more rp into play since you can read the way you want to... problem is, however you want to read something, the game decides how it is percieved anyway. frown
At the end, to me, it feels incomplete; it feels the same as if half of the sentences were voiced and the rest not. I hope at the very least that the "premade" characters will have complete voiceover.

Link Copied to Clipboard