Next Thread
Print Thread
#712008 22/10/20 08:41 AM
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
One thing that sort of frustrates me in BG3 is inventory management and encumbrance.

1. You can only sell from one characters inventory at a time. This leads me to want to have most of my wares on my main character.
2. If the main character doesn't have a strength build she can't carry much.
3. We have magic pockets, so who's carrying what item is completely and utterly meaningless. I can just drink a potion from Gales backpack anyways.

I don't mind encumbrance, but my suggestion is that since we have "magic pockets" we should share one inventory, and have a shared encumbrance threshold.
At the table top managing encumbrance is either ignored, or when it's used it's often mitigated by having chests, carts and mules that can carry things for you. At that point inventory management actually becomes meaningful
Not to mention at the table top you have lots and lots of items that you actually use that has a weight, in a computer game most of what you pick up is "vendor trash" anyways.

So yeah, my suggestion is:

Figure out an inventory/encumbrance system that is a little lest cumbersome to use, or give it a lot more meaning to manage it.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I definitely think they should utilize magic pockets for the barter system - that seems like an oversight to me. In general, though, I'd like to see Larian really look at carrying capacity and encumbrance in general. As is, I think we are allowed to carry way too much stuff. Where is Laezel holding a couple of crates and a few oil barrels? Those things might be within her carrying capacity (she's very strong), but they are bulky. If she picks up a crate, she should actually be carrying it in her arms, and maybe at a reduced speed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly since you can trade / use / whatever from the inventory screen during combats, not see why there is individual inventories. If that going to stay, just do a party stash and be done with it. If they do a party stash, give me tabs to I can management it better.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Every rpg that has encumbrance or inventory issues is a pain in my arse. I spend more time in my inventory than I do in the game. I would like a trade genie that you can summon up when you need to send stuff to your camp or sell junk. Like in ESO you can get a trader to get rid of unwanted stuff. I also find the sending stuff to your camp a bit unrealistic. I mean does a UPS driver show up and take your stuff and drop off your belongings?

Last edited by FreshRevenge; 25/10/20 05:13 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by FreshRevenge
Every rpg that has encumbrance or inventory issues is a pain in my arse. I spend more time in my inventory than I do in the game. I would like a trade genie that you can summon up when you need to send stuff to your camp or sell junk. Like in ESO you can get a trader to get rid of unwanted stuff. I also find the sending stuff to your camp a bit unrealistic. I mean does a UPS driver show up and take your stuff and drop off your belongings?

I quite liked the luggage imp from Sacred 2.

Anyway, yeah, the inventory system could do with a slight overhaul; everything from shared inventory space to containers having a 4x3 window to drag and drop often failing to either drag or drop and so on.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Honestly since you can trade / use / whatever from the inventory screen during combats, not see why there is individual inventories. If that going to stay, just do a party stash and be done with it. If they do a party stash, give me tabs to I can management it better.

Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
I don't mind encumbrance, but my suggestion is that since we have "magic pockets" we should share one inventory, and have a shared encumbrance threshold.

Originally Posted by vometia

I love all of these ideas!

addict
addict
I also find the sending stuff to your camp a bit unrealistic. I mean does a UPS driver show up and take your stuff and drop off your belongings?

Hey, I have three kids and a partner with expensive taste in home décor. I need that part time job, don't you dare take that away from me :P

Originally Posted by vometia

I was thinking about him too smile

S
stranger
stranger
S
Yes all of this AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD a CTRL-click to select multiple inventory items at once and move them to wherever all at once. I hate inventory management where I need to single right-click move to for every item. It's a waste of time and not fun. Also, book reading should leave inventory open, I often want to just read read read as fast as I can to pass the story checks and move on to the action. Making this as smooth as possible for people like me is a huge plus.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
One thing that sort of frustrates me in BG3 is inventory management and encumbrance.

1. You can only sell from one characters inventory at a time. This leads me to want to have most of my wares on my main character.
2. If the main character doesn't have a strength build she can't carry much.
3. We have magic pockets, so who's carrying what item is completely and utterly meaningless. I can just drink a potion from Gales backpack anyways.

At the table top managing encumbrance is either ignored, or when it's used it's often mitigated by having chests, carts and mules that can carry things for you. At that point inventory management actually becomes meaningful
Not to mention at the table top you have lots and lots of items that you actually use that has a weight, in a computer game most of what you pick up is "vendor trash" anyways.

So yeah, my suggestion is:

Figure out an inventory/encumbrance system that is a little lest cumbersome to use, or give it a lot more meaning to manage it.

There should be a party inventory that opens only at the vendor. Even if it is just 4 inventory pages all on one screen. If they can't do this then at least have our inventory window open up at the vendor exactly how we have it organized.

Originally Posted by lvl20DM
I definitely think they should utilize magic pockets for the barter system - that seems like an oversight to me. In general, though, I'd like to see Larian really look at carrying capacity and encumbrance in general. As is, I think we are allowed to carry way too much stuff. Where is Laezel holding a couple of crates and a few oil barrels? Those things might be within her carrying capacity (she's very strong), but they are bulky. If she picks up a crate, she should actually be carrying it in her arms, and maybe at a reduced speed.

Barrels and crates absolutely should not go into inventory. Carrying at reduced speed would be great and less immersion breaking.

I like having a weight limit. Makes it more realistic. I also think ammo should have weight and I say this as a 95% ranged player. I agree that the sending stuff to camp is dumb.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I agree on carrying Chests and Barrels. I'm all for being allowed to carry them, but they should be held in two hands if they are of a certain size.
(also it's annoying to accidentally pick them up)

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Regarding Encumbrance:

After some experimenting, they ARE using the Strength rules for how much you can carry before you become overloaded. I loaded up my Warlock with everything I wanted to sell, and she got a red 'weight' icon on her character portrait and couldn't run anymore, just a slow walk. So clearly, some kind of 'load indicator' would be a good idea. hehe

What I also found was that she started walking THROUGH crates and barrels - they started taking damage and exploding from being in proximity to her. I'd call that a bug. :P

Last edited by SkyKnight.Prime; 26/10/20 09:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Link Copied to Clipboard