Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
I get this a lot with CRPGs. The NPC seem to have access to nicer outfits than I do, which doesn't seem right considering I am self-evidently more important than they are... smile

I suppose it is perilously close to dressing dollies (or, Action Man/GI Joe for we 'manly' males), but I like to create a PC with an outfit that suits how I view them. When I'm trotting about in cookie-cutter armour or robes, I experience outfit envy whenever the NPCs stroll past in more interesting clothing. Blast them. I wish you could Pickpocket (!) or loot the clothing, sometimes. Maybe a clothier vendor stall could be an answer?

It is so bad that I steal the outfits of my Companions (Shadowheart's circlet never lasts long on her head). Shameful behaviour. When the Druid class is introduced, I shall be looking for an outfit just like Nettie's and will be highly annoyed if the clothing is limited to a colour variation of the Wizard robes.

Anyone else feel this way or am I alone in my madness?

Yes, first thing I do is steal Lae'zal's armor on the nautiloid.

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Does she spirit up a new outfit later, or is she still wearing your cast-offs?

Last edited by Sadurian; 22/10/20 02:53 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sadurian
For me, she was still wearing my old armor.
But
Baretha
drops exactly the same armor as the one Lae'zel is wearing (not sure if this is a bug or not),
so I always make sure to fail start a fight with the gith so I can loot her corpse, murder-hobo style.

-N
I get outfit envy a lot in games. Horizon Zero Dawn is a big one for me... Especially with some of the headgear others are wearing.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Neleothesze

But
Baretha
drops exactly the same armor as the one Lae'zel is wearing (not sure if this is a bug or not),
so I always make sure to fail start a fight with the gith so I can loot her corpse, murder-hobo style.

Personaly i was pretty disapointed that i just killed five or six Githyanki and get only one chestpiece ...
Come on Larian! They all had armor, they all had boots, they all had gloves. -_-

True, none of them had circlet ... but i was so happy when combat started, so hyped to finish Lae'zel outfit soon ... and then nothing.
Such a shame. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
I get outfit envy a lot in games. Horizon Zero Dawn is a big one for me... Especially with some of the headgear others are wearing.

BG had the option through the editor mod (EEKeeper?) to swap character models, but the non-adventure ones had very limited animations. PF:KM likewise had a mod to allow choosing different outfits.

I seem to recall something similar in NWN2, a game where half the world was better dressed than I was.

veteran
veteran
Definitely. I want that cool ass black long coat the tiefling who gets shot when you first come to the grove wears

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Or Dragon Age Inquisition FFS... Morrigan had a god damn ballgown and I was wearing jammies, let's not even talk Josephine (and I was wearing jammies). At least we don't have camp jammies here (yet)

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Ooo yes, DA:I and Josephine's dress. Also Vivienne's (why was she not available for a romance?).

Sure, the really nice noble-style clothing is not practical for adventuring, but even when you were in the castle you had those horrible PJs. What the hell were they thinking when they decided they were what people wanted?

addict
addict
Yeah, I know the feeling... there are so many NPC outfits/armor I'd really love to have access to. Armor variety for the PC is an area that definitely needs to be worked on.

addict
addict
Ooo yes, DA:I and Josephine's dress. Also Vivienne's (why was she not available for a romance?).

Sure, the really nice noble-style clothing is not practical for adventuring, but even when you were in the castle you had those horrible PJs. What the hell were they thinking when they decided they were what people wanted?

The Hell it's not.

First Skyrim mod I install is Apachii Divine Elegance store, player.additem cash and go shopping. Pretty dresses and stuff are perfectly acceptable adventuring gear. Lol

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Yeah, it always always bugs me when the NPCs get more/cooler clothing and hairstyles than I do. And it happens ALL THE TIME.

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo

I do hope that someone at Larian is taking note.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I hope there are more armors like Lae'zel's half plate.
I love that kind of functional but semi skimpy gear.

Anyway back to horny jail with me.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hopefully, updates to Early Access will allow us to choose our starting equipment, and that NPC's actually have the equipment they are shown to have. As mentioned above, the Githyanki patrol has combined full Githyanki armour set, perfect for Lae'zel, who looks silly wearing the gear of anyone from the prime material. Astarion also looks great in the Drow gear I found, Shadowheart is iconic with her unique Shar emblazoned armour and circlet. Make sure that the gear matches the character. Larian did this in Divinity Origin Sin 2 where the equipment matches the race of the character. Hopefully, they will work on this as Early Access continues. I also hope that we get to choose our starting equipment in character creation, what weapon/armour we start with.

Last edited by TheAscendent; 22/10/20 08:11 PM.

Evil always finds a way.
journeyman
journeyman
You are not alone with this, unfortunaley that already was an issue in DOS II that never got fixed..
Dont know what they were thinking, i mean they are already in the game anyway

stranger
stranger
Honestly, the big fix for this would be a glamor option (stats transferring to the cosmetics of other items).
Don't get me wrong, when a new set of armor is available, I wanna see that mess but some characters have a GREAT look out of the box and I don't want to give them armor that gives them 20 AC and just looks "like scale mail" that either the other NPCs are wearing or that the rest of the cast is wearing (the same leather armor on the entire party is terrible - It kills me that Astarions sick ass flouncy boy cloths provokes DISADVANTAGE on Stealth rolls... on the Rogue...)

In a game that looks this great out of the gate in early access, the fact that fashion is being left twisting in the wind is killing me.
Don't get me wrong, what is there feels accurate to what I would want and great (nothing looks thematically out of place save for the literal alien armor), I'm just a big baby in screaming for MOAR OPTIONS.

I look forward to when we finally get a suit of human / regular half-plate or banded armor or eventually plate armor.

Another option that hopefully wouldn't be too much a pain in the ass would be dyes.
Its clearly in the game to have different color options for the same armor set (the Rogue's starting leather getting black sleeves, the Ranger's and practically every other getting green).

Either way, I'm sure it will get added in time.... right....?
TT A TT

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I suspect "will be fixed in a mod" will be the answer to this one. I've been doing a little experimentation with swapping models around which I've had some success with but not 100%. Once mesh importing is done (which it almost is in Norbyte's tool set by the look of it) that may unleash a number of cosmetic mods.

The usual thing when mentioning mods applies, in that modding isn't really endorsed at this stage so this would be totally at your own risk: it's not yet officially supported in any way, including any game that uses mods.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia
I suspect "will be fixed in a mod" will be the answer to this one. I've been doing a little experimentation with swapping models around which I've had some success with but not 100%. Once mesh importing is done (which it almost is in Norbyte's tool set by the look of it) that may unleash a number of cosmetic mods.

The usual thing when mentioning mods applies, in that modding isn't really endorsed at this stage so this would be totally at your own risk: it's not yet officially supported in any way, including any game that uses mods.

Somethings should be fixed by mods but I don't think this should be one of them.

I am not that big of a D&D player but even I know making your character look the way you want is one of the quintessential things a D&D should offer.
Instead currently at the character creation I am actively forced down the "what is the least worst look I can make" versus what I actually want to create, Even Vanilla Skyrim had more options and that game is a decade old.

The other is of course the companions, the banter, the interpersonal relationships and dialogue that make D&D interesting.
Unfortunately that is not that present either, origin characters are limited and their dialogues even more so, the party banter while adventuring is also very limited... I expect at least a few companions to mention something when I steal an Owlbear egg or walk through a hag swamp.
But nope. Nothing.

Romance is also a disaster, way too rushed, not enough buildup towards it. I mean I appreciate the mocap scenes. Good for Larian going that far but what I want more is voice acted dialogue for these characters.

I have a 100 hours in the game. So I did enjoy it but it could be so much better!
And before anyone makes the "Its just an EA" comment. I know.
But now is the time to voice these concerns, there is still a year left (Hopefully longer) for Larian to build something really special.
By all accounts the EA launch was a superb success, I hope they use the cashflow to build something really special.

Even if its a launch day DLC. Make it anyway. I would gladly buy it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard