Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
I for one hate hate hate time limits on games. I think back to Nwn 2 Mask of the Betrayer and the spirt meter. It "can" take away from the game. In a tactical game like this. I would hate it. I want to explore everything. I don't want to have to chose this quest over that one. This gear over that gear.

From my rough estimate, you would get to level 5 1/2 to 3/4.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Originally Posted by TimVanBeek
But for games like BG:3, with a linear main story progressing in acts, it would add to the experience, to have minor consequences for delaying certain things.

The story's urgency is derived completely from the tadpole. By the end of Act 1 you know both that it is not an urgent thing to deal with (the ceremorphosis is in stasis) and that it is more urgent than ever to deal with (that stasis could be removed at any time, causing a violent and instant version of ceremorphosis). So you now no longer have a poison in your head, but a remote explosive. How is that going to carry over to Act 2 and beyond?

Like Pathfinder:Kingmaker did it is fine for me, meaning you have different plot elements that define soft or hard deadlines, like an invasion happens after 20 days of free exploration, or you have two concurrent urgent quests, and there are story consequences for doing one first. The deadlines are always limited in scope and consequences. In BG:3, there should not be one that is longer than one act. So the tadpole thing would be relevant for act 1 only.

I have no idea if Larian knows how much exp they are dishing out in EA right now. Becoming level 5 or even level 6 in Act 1 would upset the balance so much that encounters become trivial. Limiting or removing exp gain at level 4 is a bad way to compensate for this as it discourages exploration of side content.

I really like to do side content and then crush the main story line while being over levelled. There are difficulty sliders to compensate for this. Nevertheless the balancing right now does not work, I agree. The Underdark beginning should be scaled up a level, I think, and the later encounters by two. XP could then be downscaled to ensure that you only get to level 5. Or something like that.

veteran
veteran
I have no idea if Larian knows how much exp they are dishing out in EA right now.

Even if they didnt back when EA was released ... i bet they do by now. laugh

Becoming level 5 or even level 6 in Act 1 would upset the balance so much that encounters become trivial.

Unless those encounters will be ballanced for that speciffic level.
But you probably mean rest of encounters in Act 1 ... well, that is where XP adjusting comes to play. smile

Limiting or removing exp gain at level 4 is a bad way to compensate for this as it discourages exploration of side content.

You missunderstand me ... maybe its my bad english.
I never presumed that there will be some level cap for each act ... it would be a way, to be sure ... but certainly not good one. laugh
I presumed that they will take all XP you can get in Act 1 and adjust them to fit the model.

For example: (dunno the numbers, will just guess)
You need 500xp to become level 1, 1000xp level 2, 2000xp level 3, 4000xp level 4, 8000xp level five.
So ... if they want us to be level 4 at the end of Act 1 ... all they need to do is make sure that whole amount of XP in Act 1 will be moving between 4000 and ... dunno, for example 6000.
That way we are sure to stay at level 4, and also are quite sure to reach it even if we miss something.
Right now the whole amount of XP can be even 9000 ... and that is exactly what they need to tune up. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

I presumed that they will take all XP you can get in Act 1 and adjust them to fit the model.

They would need our feedback for that first, no?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard