Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Joined: Oct 2020
A
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
A
Joined: Oct 2020
Changes are labeled as changes because they are changes. That seems to be enough to seriously offend some people. Have fun being offended.

On topic: I will check the results in a few days.
There seems to be a trend regarding the AC but let's see where it goes.

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 23/10/20 07:31 PM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Very orderly, I think the basis for whatever result will be a robust one - but of course based on the very specific sample population. I do not think the population accurately represent the average consumer, that goes without saying. But Larian should probably take heed of the audience invested and interested enough to write on the forums and trying to give input. This is out hobby, we know what we would love in a 100+ hour game.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Sunfly
That's not how ad hominem works, I wasn't insulting you to discredit your point I was insulting you because [...]

And that will get you suspended if you keep it up. Knock it off.


Keep what up? My original post was blunt but it was coherent criticism and stuck to its points, the op is the one who decided to take things personally and started abusing others because of it.

Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Dulany67
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Not shcoked that AC nerf/HP bloat is the most hated homebrew rule.



The problem is that this directly reflects difficulty. I would say that this is the one area that Larian should ignore the responses, and probably will. In the end it is a video game where players with a wide variety of ability will have to find satisfaction with combat. They are proven to know how to balance combat. This issue is much better addressed with difficulty settings that will appear eventually.

I would beg to differ. They want our input after all so outright ignoring it because they feel they know better kind of goes against the entire reason why they have an EA... Id also say that most of the encounters are far from balanced. Ive seen people complaing about needing to cheese, ive seen people complainng that they want to auto-kill enemies with 2hp and everything in between. Alot of the encounters are so horrid in their execution infact that im wondering why theyre using the DnD franchise at all.

From all the monsters in the Underdark for example the only one whos supposed to have a pouce attack (and a powerfull one at that) is the Bulette. For all the other monster encounters there they pulled these abilities out of their arse and made the encounters a great deal more difficult then they need to be for no particular reason. Mind you, I notice these things because I also DM for groups and have the monster manual and DM manual in my posession. Im not saying that they need to stay to those statlines 100% either but most of the encounters atm are just difficult for the sake of beeing difficult. Which isent fun, rewarding nor necessary. Sometimes you just fight a bunch of generic goblins. No need to have summersaulting Minotaurs who move 200 feet in 1 turn. Who thought that stuff was a good idea?

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
love the idea. hope larian sees this.

Joined: Oct 2020
W
stranger
Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Oct 2020
@Demoulius Just want to agree with the point being made that the answer is somewhere between Larians approach and purist wants. Also that having normal encounters with normal baddies is ok and even needed.

Last edited by WinterbornGuard; 23/10/20 09:34 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Skarpharald
Very orderly, I think the basis for whatever result will be a robust one - but of course based on the very specific sample population. I do not think the population accurately represent the average consumer, that goes without saying. But Larian should probably take heed of the audience invested and interested enough to write on the forums and trying to give input. This is out hobby, we know what we would love in a 100+ hour game.


Yes I agree 100%. No matter the research content it carries a little bit of bias due to the fact that currently our sample is centralized at this very forum.
The best way would be having them (preferably by hiring a specialized company - an independent research institute) to run the market research.

Yet, even knowing that our population is insufficient to be representative to the whole universe, the results strikes somehow in certain areas that highlight some flaws in the gameplay. Also, by applying this methodology where you stimulate the interviewees to opine about certain characteristics instead of filling a blank text box has proven to be more useful as usually people tends to follow the easy path during a survey.

Answering the other guy who was uncomfortable with the results:
Yes, the questions can be somehow poorly written as I’m not native after all, but I work with market research for living for more than 8 years and I’ve used some known methods. Also, I shared with the whole community the previous questionnaire whereas their scrutiny made me improve it even more.

Nevertheless, thank you for participating in it so far!


Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
76 votes seems like a small bubble for who plays this game.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by WinterbornGuard
@Demoulius Just want to agree with the point being made that the answer is somewhere between Larians approach and purist wants. Also that having normal encounters with normal baddies is ok and even needed.


Oh please YES, they have to stop thinking every single thing has to be "awesome". Nothing is great and special if everything is designed to be special...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/10/20 10:11 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by WinterbornGuard
@Demoulius Just want to agree with the point being made that the answer is somewhere between Larians approach and purist wants. Also that having normal encounters with normal baddies is ok and even needed.


Oh please YES, they have to stop thinking every single thing has to be "awesome". Nothing is great and special if everything is designed to be special...


A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Just like to say that I’m with you guys. Simplicity above everything else.
In movies there’s the begging, the plot, the middle, the climax and the end.
Equilibrium is desired in every aspect of life. Should work like this in gaming industry as well

Joined: May 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: May 2020
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Originally Posted by Dulany67
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Not shcoked that AC nerf/HP bloat is the most hated homebrew rule.



The problem is that this directly reflects difficulty. I would say that this is the one area that Larian should ignore the responses, and probably will. In the end it is a video game where players with a wide variety of ability will have to find satisfaction with combat. They are proven to know how to balance combat. This issue is much better addressed with difficulty settings that will appear eventually.

I would beg to differ. They want our input after all so outright ignoring it because they feel they know better kind of goes against the entire reason why they have an EA... Id also say that most of the encounters are far from balanced. Ive seen people complaing about needing to cheese, ive seen people complainng that they want to auto-kill enemies with 2hp and everything in between. Alot of the encounters are so horrid in their execution infact that im wondering why theyre using the DnD franchise at all.

From all the monsters in the Underdark for example the only one whos supposed to have a pouce attack (and a powerfull one at that) is the Bulette. For all the other monster encounters there they pulled these abilities out of their arse and made the encounters a great deal more difficult then they need to be for no particular reason. Mind you, I notice these things because I also DM for groups and have the monster manual and DM manual in my posession. Im not saying that they need to stay to those statlines 100% either but most of the encounters atm are just difficult for the sake of beeing difficult. Which isent fun, rewarding nor necessary. Sometimes you just fight a bunch of generic goblins. No need to have summersaulting Minotaurs who move 200 feet in 1 turn. Who thought that stuff was a good idea?

So I found nothing overly hard in the EA. In fact, I found it appropriately difficult with no need to use barrels. This is not TT, and the game must present a challenge. That is why I say that this is an issue that should be dealt with using difficulty settings.

Joined: Oct 2020
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Oct 2020
I've found that pretty much every fight you need to carefully plan and position your party beforehand expecting things to go wrong or it's basically 1-2 round TPK. Wander up to the goblins outer wall and start a fight? You're done for. Wander up to the Githyanki patrol and start a fight? Also done for. End up in pretty much any unexpected fight and chances are you're done for. This is in large part due to the games action economy and the insane amount of ground effects. If you don't win the initiative roll, or preplace all your party members in the most advantageous, ie high ground, locations fights are usually super one sided.

The number of times I've started a combat only to have 3-6 aoe bombs/arrows dropped on me before I can move is sad. Specially when you're talking lvl 1-4. I could understand this in more late game. By that time you have higher stats to be able to withstand a barrage like this or other ways of mitigating the effects. I really wonder how they are going to, if they even plan to, implement counter spell.

Last edited by Duriel15; 23/10/20 10:57 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
W
stranger
Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Dulany67
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Originally Posted by Dulany67
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Not shcoked that AC nerf/HP bloat is the most hated homebrew rule.



The problem is that this directly reflects difficulty. I would say that this is the one area that Larian should ignore the responses, and probably will. In the end it is a video game where players with a wide variety of ability will have to find satisfaction with combat. They are proven to know how to balance combat. This issue is much better addressed with difficulty settings that will appear eventually.

I would beg to differ. They want our input after all so outright ignoring it because they feel they know better kind of goes against the entire reason why they have an EA... Id also say that most of the encounters are far from balanced. Ive seen people complaing about needing to cheese, ive seen people complainng that they want to auto-kill enemies with 2hp and everything in between. Alot of the encounters are so horrid in their execution infact that im wondering why theyre using the DnD franchise at all.

From all the monsters in the Underdark for example the only one whos supposed to have a pouce attack (and a powerfull one at that) is the Bulette. For all the other monster encounters there they pulled these abilities out of their arse and made the encounters a great deal more difficult then they need to be for no particular reason. Mind you, I notice these things because I also DM for groups and have the monster manual and DM manual in my posession. Im not saying that they need to stay to those statlines 100% either but most of the encounters atm are just difficult for the sake of beeing difficult. Which isent fun, rewarding nor necessary. Sometimes you just fight a bunch of generic goblins. No need to have summersaulting Minotaurs who move 200 feet in 1 turn. Who thought that stuff was a good idea?

So I found nothing overly hard in the EA. In fact, I found it appropriately difficult with no need to use barrels. This is not TT, and the game must present a challenge. That is why I say that this is an issue that should be dealt with using difficulty settings.


Difficulty doesn't need to be balanced exclusively with hitpoints though. Other ways to balance goblin that are more appropriate to a small nimble monster.

Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
I played the game several times but half of the DND questions are a complete mystery to me. what is Disingagment precious?
anyways, this survey is clearly more for the gameplay guys.


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Duriel15
I've found that pretty much every fight you need to carefully plan and position your party beforehand expecting things to go wrong or it's basically 1-2 round TPK. Wander up to the goblins outer wall and start a fight? You're done for. Wander up to the Githyanki patrol and start a fight? Also done for. End up in pretty much any unexpected fight and chances are you're done for. This is in large part due to the games action economy and the insane amount of ground effects. If you don't win the initiative roll, or preplace all your party members in the most advantageous, ie high ground, locations fights are usually super one sided.

The number of times I've started a combat only to have 3-6 aoe bombs/arrows dropped on me before I can move is sad. Specially when you're talking lvl 1-4. I could understand this in more late game. By that time you have higher stats to be able to withstand a barrage like this or other ways of mitigating the effects. I really wonder how they are going to, if they even plan to, implement counter spell.



You’ve translated how I feel about combat in general. The way it’s expected to be is always by using your infinite line of sight granted by the game to foresee the odds by properly positioning your characters. Do in think it’s tactical thinking? Maybe. Do I think it immersive? Definitely not.

I like to mention the spider matriarch. I was walking carelessly through the cave and then the initiative rolled. I though - “ok, more than 100 hp, it’ll be tough but who cares.” Then out of sudden those spiderlings started to hatch and I was without spells slots from the very beginning. Died.

Then the second time I was already aware of the monsters in the surroundings. I’ve placed my rogue to lure one by one and I dealt with the boss. Also, I’ve took a long rest to replenish my spells slots. Didn’t used the shove or the web burning strategy to kill it. Didn’t even kill the eggs before the battle. I won, but there was this bitter taste in my mouth that I’ve cheated the system. In the end, this battle was less fun than simply beating the imps in the very begging of the game.

Summarizing, I don’t want to know about the boss position to try it again using a better strat. I really wanted that battle to be unique.


Joined: Oct 2020
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Abits
I played the game several times but half of the DND questions are a complete mystery to me. what is Disingagment precious?
anyways, this survey is clearly more for the gameplay guys.


In base 5e rules many of the things they are allowing us to do as a bonus action, shove, disengage, hide, etc, are all full actions. You can't disengage, run across the map and attack. The only time you can is if you have special bonuses like Second Wind, the Mobility feat, or the rogues cunning action etc. Each of these things allow a character to perform certain actions better/differently. By giving everyone these things freely they are taking away from the uniqueness of each class. It also makes combat balance and action economy a joke. There is also the concept that a round in 5e is meant to be a 6 second period, does it really make sense to anyone that you should be able to run 15ft, shove a guy off a cliff, who clearly fights back at the attempt unless caught of guard (this is where the dice check comes in), run another 15ft and make a full attack on another enemy? That's a lot of things to do in just 6 seconds. There's a reason behind why all these things are the way they are in 5e and Larian has thrown it all out the window seemingly for no reason.

Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Duriel15
Originally Posted by Abits
I played the game several times but half of the DND questions are a complete mystery to me. what is Disingagment precious?
anyways, this survey is clearly more for the gameplay guys.


In base 5e rules many of the things they are allowing us to do as a bonus action, shove, disengage, hide, etc, are all full actions. You can't disengage, run across the map and attack. The only time you can is if you have special bonuses like Second Wind, the Mobility feat, or the rogues cunning action etc. Each of these things allow a character to perform certain actions better/differently. By giving everyone these things freely they are taking away from the uniqueness of each class. It also makes combat balance and action economy a joke. There is also the concept that a round in 5e is meant to be a 6 second period, does it really make sense to anyone that you should be able to run 15ft, shove a guy off a cliff, who clearly fights back at the attempt unless caught of guard (this is where the dice check comes in), run another 15ft and make a full attack on another enemy? That's a lot of things to do in just 6 seconds. There's a reason behind why all these things are the way they are in 5e and Larian has thrown it all out the window seemingly for no reason.

I'm not really in the mood to argue about it, I just think it doesn't really matter if the system works, the enemies have the same options, and it's fun. but to each their own I guess.


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Abits

I'm not really in the mood to argue about it, I just think it doesn't really matter if the system works, the enemies have the same options, and it's fun. but to each their own I guess.



Not trying to argue. You asked a question about 'what is Disingagment precious?' It's just my opinion on the matter and an explanation for such. Ultimately it will be Larian's choice. If they keep it the way it is now I think it's the wrong one. Each to their own. I'll just hope the modding community creates a fix for those of us that prefer the 5e system.

Joined: Oct 2020
M
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Oct 2020
do you have to manually update this? Hopefully lotsa people vote on this and it stays front page. nice easy visualisation of feedback for larian to take a look at.

Joined: Oct 2020
vel Offline
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
The idea of an in game survey came up earlier in this thread, wrote it down in another thread to highlight:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93170&Number=714134#Post714134

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5