Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#713077 23/10/20 12:57 AM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
My husband and I love the Baldur’s Gate games and have played all of them. We both played Divinity - Original Sin 2. My husband loved it and I liked it at first but just couldn’t get into it. We were really excited when we heard that Larian was bringing out Baldur’s Gate III and we both bought it on the first day EA was available.
My husband (a die-hard gamer) likes the new game. He finds the fights tedious and unbalanced but continues to play. We both know that the game is EA and will change over time.
I’ve stopped playing the game completely. I’ve never been a fan of “socializing” in a game. I don’t want to talk to my companions but I will for the sake of the game. I finally realized that the biggest problem for me is I hate turn based fighting. I find it tedious and boring. I think the fights in this game are horrible. I’m not a strategic thinker and that hampers my fighting ability. The fights are so unbalanced that I give up before finishing. The last straw was the fight in the Dank Crypt. The fight started with me in an alcove. The “bad guys” would run over, hit my characters and run back out of my reach. Then I would move a few meters and have to end my turn. I couldn’t even see them on my screen so I couldn’t aim to fight them. I’m hoping that when the game is released, I can scale down the fights or, even better, play in real time. I know it’s not likely, but I can hope.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Yes, there will be difficult adjusters. Sorry if turn based games aren't your thing but that's Larian's specialty

L
stranger
stranger
L
I love turn based games: I get excited in critical situations where you hope that your enemy misses the attack so that you can fight back and finish them before they do, it adds a lot of suspance. If you play in multiplayer this helps you a lot to coordinate the attack and discuss with your party...otherwise you wouldn't really have the time to do things properly.
By the way, I dropped the game too: I've finished it once and want to wait for the full release so that I can play it with my friends and still get suprised (I don't wanna spoil me everything, where's the fun in that?)

D
old hand
old hand
D
Putting it down if its frustrating to you or you dont like it for some reason can be the best thing to do in that scenario imo. That said dnd is turn based and Larian already said this game would be to. I understand the comment about the fights completly though. Its frustrating in several ways. Some of which can be easily fixed and some not so.

Compared to some baldurs gate fights though the levels of silly are only really that off the chart in the underdark or with the lvl 5 Gith party imo. Spellcasters in baldurs gate were insanely powerfull as well if they had the jump on you. Some of the early game encounters had spellcasters that could wipe out entire parties if you dident manage to stop their spells from going off. Some spells like hold person could hit multiple people, seeing lightning bolt at lvl2? Why not! All the fights in bg3 can be won but the monsters in the underdark reach about the same levels of silly if you meet them unprepared.

Its one of the biggest issues that I have with the game honestly and something that I feel they MUST adress if they want the game to be playable by all.

D
D
I would expect them to speed up the combat in future. Especially AI turns take a long time as it is right now. If they make simultanous AI turns or animation speed setting, I think it'll feel much more engaging if you're spending most of the time doing your own turns rather than watching the AI goof around. That and difficulty settings so you could also adjust it to require less strategy would make it really fast if that's what someone wants

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe she just wanted RTWP instead wink

Taking a break is generally a good idea. That said, the game is turn based and will be largely companion-centric (D&D is a social game, after all) so, perhaps this game just isn't your cup of tea?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
It dont seem to be so much strategic ...
When i have lazyday i just pump closest enemy with stronger spells ... and usualy it works ... sometime i need to resurect someone after the fight ... but its not like you need to spend hour to think through whole tactics before you start your first move. Its not chess ... for now. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by denhonator
I would expect them to speed up the combat in future. Especially AI turns take a long time as it is right now. If they make simultanous AI turns or animation speed setting, I think it'll feel much more engaging if you're spending most of the time doing your own turns rather than watching the AI goof around. That and difficulty settings so you could also adjust it to require less strategy would make it really fast if that's what someone wants

Can you imagine that beauty, when (or if) NPC act like players, and in their turn they move ALL AT ONCE?
Oh ... such silly dreamy me. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/10/20 08:57 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
L
stranger
stranger
L
In my experience, the one fight vs the Gith party was the hardest one, I was really really close to losing.
Anyway, I don't think that all fights need to be picked, we have to use common sense to understand if our party would be able to fight certain enemies.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I had to redo this fight 10 Times at least in my first play through. In the second one, with all the knowledge it was still hard but never on the brink of losing.

All the difference Was just me understandig the game mechanic.

Last edited by Tav3245234325325; 23/10/20 02:20 PM.
D
old hand
old hand
D
I did the fight before completing the last step of the EA. Its not really doable if you stumble upon it at lvl 3. If you buff and prepare with spells its alot better and if you did underdark and hills before confronting them its really doable.

Tough. But doable.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LazyFerret
In my experience, the one fight vs the Gith party was the hardest one, I was really really close to losing.
Anyway, I don't think that all fights need to be picked, we have to use common sense to understand if our party would be able to fight certain enemies.

Really?
The gith fight was the easiest in my experience. I didnt even have sneak cheesing to get it done.

But to be fair I did have level 4s and all in the best gear I could manage.
I would say though the underdark fights are by far harder.

Originally Posted by patty1955
My husband and I love the Baldur’s Gate games and have played all of them. We both played Divinity - Original Sin 2. My husband loved it and I liked it at first but just couldn’t get into it. We were really excited when we heard that Larian was bringing out Baldur’s Gate III and we both bought it on the first day EA was available.
My husband (a die-hard gamer) likes the new game. He finds the fights tedious and unbalanced but continues to play. We both know that the game is EA and will change over time.
I’ve stopped playing the game completely. I’ve never been a fan of “socializing” in a game. I don’t want to talk to my companions but I will for the sake of the game. I finally realized that the biggest problem for me is I hate turn based fighting. I find it tedious and boring. I think the fights in this game are horrible. I’m not a strategic thinker and that hampers my fighting ability. The fights are so unbalanced that I give up before finishing. The last straw was the fight in the Dank Crypt. The fight started with me in an alcove. The “bad guys” would run over, hit my characters and run back out of my reach. Then I would move a few meters and have to end my turn. I couldn’t even see them on my screen so I couldn’t aim to fight them. I’m hoping that when the game is released, I can scale down the fights or, even better, play in real time. I know it’s not likely, but I can hope.

Wait you mean the very first dungeon? Maybe let your husband level your party to at least level 2 (possibly 3) and give it another go.
Also you can click on enemies portraits which makes them a lot easier to spot and target.

Makes me wonder what you liked in BG2 though if companion interactions and tactical combats aren't really your coup of tea.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
In the Dark Crypt you can mitigate the problem in several ways. I'm not going to write a complete hints and tips paragraph but be aware that the 'dead' guys can be looted before they are activated. Being punched by a skeleton is far less painful than having one swing a staff or scimitar at you.

You can also box some of them in by moving the jars and pots. Finally, remember Shadowheart's anti-undead powers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think thats what they mean.
I can't think of another crypt in the game.

And that fight was incredibly easy.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I love it so far. Though the rules have changed somewhat, this game really reminds me of when I used to play AD&D as a kid.

Being turn based reminds me of how we would all roll for initiative, and go in a certain order, the narrator feels like the dungeon master to me, reading the little story blocks out of an adventure module. It's all very nostalgic for me because I haven't played anything D&D for over 30 years.

Of course I realize the game is still in a really early state, but I'm excited to see where it goes, and be along for the ride.

addict
addict
I don't understand the purpose of this post. You don't enjoy having to be strategic, you don't enjoy building relationships with party members, and you can't be bothered to either learn the mechanics or adjust the options to make things smoother. You haven't mentioned any shortcomings or provided any real feedback for the developers outside of "I like action games and don't typically enjoy RPGs." You just named a bunch of things that you don't like that aren't criticisms of anything specific in the game. That's not feedback, that's just treating a suggestion forum like a diary.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I don't understand the purpose of this post. You don't enjoy having to be strategic, you don't enjoy building relationships with party members, and you can't be bothered to either learn the mechanics or adjust the options to make things smoother. You haven't mentioned any shortcomings or provided any real feedback for the developers outside of "I like action games and don't typically enjoy RPGs." You just named a bunch of things that you don't like that aren't criticisms of anything specific in the game. That's not feedback, that's just treating a suggestion forum like a diary.

I just treat any post of this nature as a, 'these are the things I dislike, please explain where I might be going wrong.'

It is possible that it is, as you suggest, just a moan as one would put in a blog or diary, but I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of creating an account on a forum just to list things they dislike, especially if they are also saying that they are leaving. There must surely be a constructive point behind it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

I just treat any post of this nature as a, 'these are the things I dislike, please explain where I might be going wrong.'

It is possible that it is, as you suggest, just a moan as one would put in a blog or diary, but I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of creating an account on a forum just to list things they dislike, especially if they are also saying that they are leaving. There must surely be a constructive point behind it.

If you figure out where the constructive points are, let me know. I'm all ears and can't wait to hear them.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard