Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Sadurian

BG3 is clearly aimed at a four-person party, so asking for more is pointless.


Aimed ? okay think

Aimed, yes. That's the assumed size of the party.

Sadurian #714413 23/10/20 09:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Sadurian

BG3 is clearly aimed at a four-person party, so asking for more is pointless.


Aimed ? okay think

Aimed, yes. That's the assumed size of the party.


But it looks many of us don't like being so limited.
It's not pointless because YOU don't care. That's selfish and stupid.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/10/20 09:43 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Sadurian

BG3 is clearly aimed at a four-person party, so asking for more is pointless.


Aimed ? okay think

Aimed, yes. That's the assumed size of the party.


But it looks many of us don't like being so limited.
It's not pointless because YOU don't care. That's selfish and stupid.

Larian have clearly designed the whole game around having a party size of four. I really can't see them ripping out all their planning and encounters to rebalance for a different size. Who knows, maybe they will? I think it highly unlikely, however, that a company already on a deadline and with so much already developed, will decide to go down that route. I don't think that either selfish or stupid, I think it realistic.

You obviously believe that you have the influence to get those sort of fundamental changes made by Larian. I'm not saying you are definitely wrong. I am saying that I would be very surprised if you are right.

Last edited by Sadurian; 23/10/20 09:58 PM.
sinogy #714447 23/10/20 10:06 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Sadurian

Larian have clearly designed the whole game around having a party size of four. I really can't see them ripping out all their planning and encounters to rebalance for a different size. Who knows, maybe they will? I think it highly unlikely, however, that a company already on a deadline and with so much already developed, will decide to go down that route. I don't think that either selfish or stupid, I think it realistic.

You obviously believe that you have the influence to get those sort of fundamental changes made by Larian. I'm not saying you are definitely wrong. I am saying that I would be very surprised if you are right.


Oh sorry, I forgot that anything was balanced actually.

Don't change anything and let us play with 5 companions, it would be better, and still unbalanced... Maybe even less than now.

sinogy #714454 23/10/20 10:11 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
B
stranger
Offline
stranger
B
Joined: Oct 2020
There is already a mod that let you play 6 characters.
Just let them balance the game around 4, it makes the fights faster because you don't need to add more enemies.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Bernkastel
There is already a mod that let you play 6 characters.
Just let them balance the game around 4, it makes the fights faster because you don't need to add more enemies.


Please read the other topics.
Your argument is wrong.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/10/20 10:17 PM.
sinogy #714464 23/10/20 10:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
B
stranger
Offline
stranger
B
Joined: Oct 2020
I don't know what you mean. Do you want to say that mods should not solve design problems?
But it literally do what you want "Don't change anything and let us play with 5 companions, it would be better, and still unbalanced... Maybe even less than now."

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Bernkastel
I don't know what you mean. Do you want to say that mods should not solve design problems?
But it literally do what you want "Don't change anything and let us play with 5 companions, it would be better, and still unbalanced... Maybe even less than now."


Your argument about "faster" is wrong, that's what I mean.
Sorry if it was unclear.

sinogy #714483 23/10/20 10:31 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Oct 2020
I like 5. Tank, Mage, Healer, Thief + a spare for whatever you want. 6 is just gravy to me and honestly the way I'm used to playing DnD CRPGs.

Sadurian #714488 23/10/20 10:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Sadurian
BG3 is clearly aimed at a four-person party, so asking for more is pointless.

Well, then maybe it's time to change that clear aim.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
sinogy #714531 23/10/20 11:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
This argument feels super pointless to me. Does anyone have any doubt there will be a 6 party members mod? this won't be the difference between a great game and failure.


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Abits #714539 23/10/20 11:27 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Abits
This argument feels super pointless to me. Does anyone have any doubt there will be a 6 party members mod? this won't be the difference between a great game and failure.


but if the game is not designed with that in mind is hard to work, tried a mod that does this in DOS2 and the game is just too easy with more than 4 chars party

Redwyrm #714668 24/10/20 01:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
4 is a recommended party size for DND 3e, 3.5e, 5e, PF 1e, and 2e.

I don't know where you got idea that party should be bigger

I allways presumet that this precedent is made on the fact you have 6 stats ...
So you get tank, focused on Con, some meele for Str, some ranged for Dex, some heal with Wis, some magic ranged with Int, and some social with Cha.

Then you should be prepared to anything.
But maybe im wrong, im kinda cooking from water here. :-/


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
sinogy #714828 24/10/20 06:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2020
First mod I install is one that increases party size. I will happily shun exploding barrels, and avoid the use of environmental modifiers such as burning grease where possible, in order to use a larger number of class/race characters in what will likely be my sole run through on the finished game. I don't have the luxury of playing the game 30 times to try out each character alternate combination.

Joined: Sep 2017
Location: Norway
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: Norway
-1 to the OP

I concur with Redwyrm for the reasons stated and for the reason having companions become more like camp-followers promotes BAD roleplaying. Fewer and deeper companions will always be preferable to me. Shifting out party members on the fly like some wants here is anathema to roleplaying.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Originally Posted by sinogy
I don't care what kind of challenges you wanna overcome as developers with party of 4 or what kind of challenges you wanna put before players with party of 4. It doesn't change the fact that party of 4 is too small for an immersive DnD game.

It takes away a lot party setup possibilites and I fed up with going back to the camp leave some one and take Astarion whenever I need perception and sleight of hands rolls.

4 is a recommended party size for DND 3e, 3.5e, 5e, PF 1e, and 2e.

I don't know where you got idea that party should be bigger
(and any DM would say you they definitely prefer party of 4).
Less than 4 - not enough versatility to overcome challenges.
More than 4 - too little attention for each character, and combat becomes too slow.


Combats are faster if you kill your ennemies faster.
You don't have to add creature because you have one more character. This is not how you balance a game. Many games are TB, have 6 companions, AND faster combats...

A sure way to make a party feel *less heroic* is to make every enemy stronger than the individual party members - and letting them know the only reason they win is because they have numbers on their side. To the contrary, most battles should be against larger numbers to enforce the feeling of "winning against the odds" and heroism.

So yeah, you don't kill enemies faster because challenge would naturally have to be adjusted to the parties increased capabilities. Having more or stronger enemies would make everyone more vulnerable towards spike damage. A character would be attacked more times, harder, before regaining their turn - making it much more likely combat turns against the party. The unavoidable consequence would be more save-scumming costing more time. Besides, I already feel saving in combat should not be allowed to disincentivize save-scumming and allow more suspense to build as there is more on the line.

Chess is turn-based and comes with a lot less complex rules than 5e. Every turn based game is NOT the same. 5e has a convoluted system which is hard to translate to the digital medium.

Quote
I don't really care the average... Average is not what you're supposed to do. This is as ridiculous as the argument saying "D&D is TB, so BG3 has to be TB".

And there we go. It's not only the party size and composition, it's turn-based vs real-time all over again. Kind of revealing of the strong sense of entitlement that drives people like you. When reality does not fit your preference in so many big ways, you rage against reality instead of accepting it for what it is.

Oh and D&D 5e is turn-based, so BG3 has to be turn-based. There, I said it. Not ridiculous at all! Especially when you consider the licence holders WotC want BG3 to promote the *current* D&D which is the 5e system. Larian being so good at turn-based combat was part of why WotC decided on giving them a crack at the classic title after so many years.

Quote
At least more than 40% don't like playing with only 4 characters. With a party size of 5 or even 6, 100% of the players are happy.

And 97% of statistics on the internut is made up on the fly. That you even think 100% happiness is possible marks you like lacking in common sense tbh.




Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Bernkastel
There is already a mod that let you play 6 characters.
Just let them balance the game around 4, it makes the fights faster because you don't need to add more enemies.


Please read the other topics.
Your argument is wrong.

I'd rather recommend reading other topics AND replies.
Because it's goes same as here - majority of ppl doesn't support increasing of party size.

Redwyrm #714868 24/10/20 08:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Redwyrm

4 is a recommended party size for DND 3e, 3.5e, 5e, PF 1e, and 2e.


proof?

Redwyrm #714869 24/10/20 08:27 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Redwyrm

Because it's goes same as here - majority support increasing of party size.


fixed

sinogy #714874 24/10/20 08:32 AM
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Why would you want them to be stronger ?
Just play other games like that with other references than DoS in mind please.

About balance there are many way to adjust it whatever you play with 4 or 5 companions, which is not possible trough mods.
If the game difficulty stay as it is now, I'll enjoy way more playing with 5 instead of 4, especially considering that 1) we'll have more difficulty levels at release 2) the actual level is supposed to be the "normal" level, which is not... especially if you hope the totally bad mecanics of the game are going to change... Which is something a huge majority ask.

Just add one more companions now and the combats are going to be faster, the ressources management will be better, the game will be just a little bit easier,...

If 40% aren't happy with 4, it's 40% that will never be happy.
If those that absolutely WANT 4 can still play with 4, a huge majority can be happy (the 60% don't say they WANT 4, they said it's ok. That still doesn't mean 5 is not). That's common sense.

And no, it's absolutely not about TB, that was a comparison, not a point.

Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Bernkastel
There is already a mod that let you play 6 characters.
Just let them balance the game around 4, it makes the fights faster because you don't need to add more enemies.


Please read the other topics.
Your argument is wrong.

I'd rather recommend reading other topics AND replies.
Because it's goes same as here - majority of ppl doesn't support increasing of party size.


Proof ?
Being ok with a thing doesn't mean you aren't with something else, if you're refering to the "poll".
Just look at the "open letter" thread and count, many want more than 4, even if somes are ok with 4.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/10/20 08:47 AM.
Abits #714880 24/10/20 08:39 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Abits
This argument feels super pointless to me. Does anyone have any doubt there will be a 6 party members mod? this won't be the difference between a great game and failure.

But a mod is a far-less-that-ideal fallback solution.
We are asking for official support because we want to ENJOY playing with a decently differentiated party, not suffer through the limitations of its half-assed fan made implementation.




Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5