Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#713877 23/10/20 02:40 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So I think part of the issue is that potions are just too common.

Traders seem to refresh after every long rest and gold will not be that hard to come by.

With use potion as a bonus action, having so many potions to causing balance issues.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Potions as loot im fine with. Specially if the difficulty is made with the use of those potions in mind.

The stores restocking daily in the middle of nowhere I do agree with. Its weird and shouldnt be a thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As a novice of d&d potions seem fine.

They don't heal you that much and you waste an action.
Higher level mobs can hit you 3 times as hard as a potion ever could.
So to me cooked food is much more precious than potions.

Do you know how much pork my party eats in a hard fight?
Too much.

And I wont deny sometimes a cooked dwarf may or may not have snuck in at a critical juncture.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eddiar

Too much.

And I wont deny sometimes a cooked dwarf may or may not have snuck in at a critical juncture.

Did you mean bonus action to drink potion / eat food? It's not a full action.

I not used food at all since that has never healed in tabletop. I would love to have the food just removed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

Too much.

Did you mean bonus action to drink potion / eat food? It's not a full action.

I not used food at all since that has never healed in tabletop. I would love to have the food just removed.

If you want potions limited and food completely removed how do I heal after each fight?

veteran
veteran
If you want potions limited and food completely removed how do I heal after each fight?

Short rests (2 or 3 per long rest), possibly implemented where you need food to heal. Or where you'd heal a little by default, but you could choose to consume food to heal more.

addict
addict
Yes, too many potions and too many scrolls

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thinking about this if they just striped the vendors of all magic items, potions & scrolls. I am counting the "special" arrows as magic items, balance would be a lot better.

Remove food or make it out of combat only.

Seriously out in the middle of nowhere, where are the vendors getting all this stuff every day?

U
stranger
stranger
U
The thing about food and potions is that their use is voluntary as OP has indicated. No need to remove something that someone personally don't use anyway. The food and quantity of potions is present to allow for
[1] characters to always have something to do with their bonus action,
[2] players to choose their own difficulty preference (Easy = Eat all food during fight, Long rest after every fight, sneak constantly, exploit camera for recon, etc.),
[3] drawn out dice battles to be balanced in favor of the party. Anyone who has played DnD moderately has experienced that point in a battle where each side is missing more than half the time and it's just numbers fighting instead of characters in an adventure game. In a tabletop game it's easy enough to DM the battle to its conclusion. In a video game, the player should be favored to win if both sides have exhausted their power moves and are nearly at a stalemate.
[4] video game RPGs tend to be overloaded with consumables. I presume some of the fanbase thoroughly enjoy crafting, sorting, equipping and using potions. Those that don't can always turn them into gold.

All that said, I would like to see a better short rest mechanic using hit dice as a frequency limiting feature rather than once per long rest.

journeyman
journeyman
Currently, I welcome potions and food as a counterbalance to how easy advantage is to obtain, the extra dmg you take from surfaces, and how overtuned some of Larian's adjusted monsters are.

5e PCs are not designed with that kind of dmg intake baseline, so easy-access bonus action healing helps mitigate that.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I really hate the "you don't have to use something" as a defense of poor game design.

D&D 5e tabletop is balanced around limited resources, BG3 seems to want to bury you in resources.

Link Copied to Clipboard