Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I just tried playing as a Ranger. I picked the familiar at level 1. Then, at level 3, I chose the Beastmaster, which gets an animal companion. There was no warning that I could not have both a familiar and an animal companion out at the same time. Yet, you cannot. There is no way to fix redundant class feature choices right now, which means the character is functionally crippled as compared to a character that didn't make a secretly non-viable advancement choice. There are several possible fixes:

- Allow a Ranger with both these features to have both animals out at the same time; or
- Allow a Ranger who takes Beastmaster to re-make the level 1 choice that gives familiar; or
- Warn players leveling up to level 3 that summoning their animal companion will dismiss their familiar and vice versa.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I suggest adding:
- Warn players at character creation that find familiar isn't compatible with animal companions.

If I'm planning on playing a Beastmaster, I'd probably like to know that they couldn't work together from the beginning.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Havent played as ranger yet. Hes gotten a big overhaul compared to the PHB version so I think they can use all the feedback they can get smile

That said rangers were majorly nerfed because classes eith pets were very strong in previous additions. Allowing multiple pets would need to be balanced somehow to prevent it from beeing OP again

The "one pet per character" restriction is a remnant of DOS/DOS2 engine which I hope they'll address. This currently causes problems also for using Mage Hand and a familiar at the same time, which according to PHB should be absolutely no problem.
Will also affect the [Animate Dead] spell, with which at Lv 7 you can summon more than one skeleton or zombie.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by endolex
The "one pet per character" restriction is a remnant of DOS/DOS2 engine which I hope they'll address. This currently causes problems also for using Mage Hand and a familiar at the same time, which according to PHB should be absolutely no problem.
Will also affect the [Animate Dead] spell, with which at Lv 7 you can summon more than one skeleton or zombie.

Good point about animate dead 🤔

That said having multiple summons is very powerfull. I do think they need to balance it somehow. Any suggestions?

Maybe have the limit be tied to spell cast modifier and any number above that require concentration?

apprentice
apprentice
Yes, it would definitely be a good thing if we could see ahead of time a class's complete progression so we as players ( and potential minmaxers/munchiners from tabletop ) know how we want to optimize our character frown

In the interim, there are class guides online to help! Fextralife is my go-to's, if it helps.

addict
addict
They should consider something like a starting equipment selection in character creation or outright removing bows from the basic fighter and rogue kit. Melee is underpowered enough as it is, giving Lae'Zel and Astarian a free bow is just memery.

D
D
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Originally Posted by endolex

Good point about animate dead 🤔

That said having multiple summons is very powerfull. I do think they need to balance it somehow. Any suggestions?

Maybe have the limit be tied to spell cast modifier and any number above that require concentration?

Those balance issues were already resolved be WoTC when they playtested those rules.
Though that balance was destroyed by amount of house rules Larian introduced.

Back to the topic. The option to see possible character progression at the start could help. And if they don't willn't to allow multiple summons, they should at very least warn us about that.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
They should consider something like a starting equipment selection in character creation or outright removing bows from the basic fighter and rogue kit. Melee is underpowered enough as it is, giving Lae'Zel and Astarian a free bow is just memery.

Hands off my bow. No need to force people into melee just because you prefer it. Being able to select starting equipment would be nice though.

addict
addict
There is a bunch of these with the Ranger. Teifling already have Fire resistance, but you can still pick it as a Ranger feature. Same with Dwarf/halfling's poison resistance.

People not really reading description entirely will fall into trap choice rather easily.

journeyman
journeyman
I wonder how they will handle Animate Dead or necromancers in general. If their is a cap they will be pointless. Unless they just give you one uber undead but that seems silly.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by 00zim00
I wonder how they will handle Animate Dead or necromancers in general. If their is a cap they will be pointless. Unless they just give you one uber undead but that seems silly.

To be fair on tabletop they also have a cap and you need to use spell slots to keep them in your service for more then a day.

Link Copied to Clipboard