Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#714964 24/10/20 10:29 AM
Tarorn Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Level 4 - having a blast but every fight is normally death first time round. I think I need to scout more.
The more you play this game the more depth you realise the combat has & how you can approach situations differently.

People who claim to “breeze” through the game are either very savvy with the rules & combat - might just be me but there ain’t no easy path in this game that I can see - but that’s the beauty of it.

Last edited by Tarorn; 24/10/20 10:30 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Do your best to be super careful and stay stealthed at first; it gives you early warning of enemies you might not be able to see otherwise. Also, turning on npc outlines is a great boon!

Other than that, depending on where you're getting stuck, try taking a look around-- most of the plants are dangerous and interactable, and in the underdark there are cliffs everywhere to shove enemies off off if you've got a strong fighter!

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Yeah, I had the most challenging encounters there too. Except for one "funny" one with the minotaurs. I was sneaking around but didn't decouple shadowhaert (she was sneaking too). But she was seen. So, they - quite literally - jumped me. But "tanking" with Wyll (down -> get up with help -> down -> get up with help -> down -> ...) kept one minotaur busy - wasting his actions - which won me the fight^^

But the bulette - for instance - gave me quite the headache.

Tarorn Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
A hook horror punted me like a football off a cliff - my fault I didn’t kill the sole one quietly or quickly enough so he called his 3 friends in ....won’t make that mistake again...well hopefully not.

Loving the game - it’s bloody fantastic.

Tarorn Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yes the multi attack on some of these monsters can be brutal - geez you fight the gnolls in the risen road ?
Damn three arrows per round !

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Odd, honestly i though the underdrak was waay to easy felt very underwhelming.i guess its a mteer of group composition?

veteran
veteran
The only really really hard fight is the one involving the minotaurs. Some spoilers - after that go to the plant people camp and recruit the fat plant guy that can resurrect dead things and use him to resurrect the minotaurs. Instant win in everything.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Level 4 - having a blast but every fight is normally death first time round. I think I need to scout more.
The more you play this game the more depth you realise the combat has & how you can approach situations differently.

People who claim to “breeze” through the game are either very savvy with the rules & combat - might just be me but there ain’t no easy path in this game that I can see - but that’s the beauty of it.

That's odd, I don't see how the party setup can vary that much, and players are not given powerful artefacts, weapons or armour, at least I did not find any (aside from +1 weapons). But I did not have problems with any fights, meaning that I beat them at the first or second try with the occasional death of one party member, without any shenanigans.

Lae'zel: +1 AC at L1, Battlemaster at L3, +2 strength at L4. Melee, Twohander
Shadowheart: Melee with Shield, 2+ Wisdom at L4
Gale. +2 Intelligence at L4 (yeah I missed the headband that gives 18 int)
PC wood elf ranger: https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-3-builds-hunter-guide-ranger/

This ranger build has very high hit chances from higher ground and consistent damage thanks to Colossus Slayer.

Fights depend very much on Gale and PC being on high ground or not. But then use mirror image for Shadowheart and Gale, mage armor for Gale, hit enemies with menacing strike with Lae'zel, with guiding bolts from Shadowheart, Melfs acid arrow from Gale, Ranger just fires her weapon.

Lae'zel can dish out two menacing strikes in the first round with the fighter's action surge. That can make a huge difference, if one lands.

The minotaurs managed to kill Gale, but aside from that my party won on the first try this way.

Last edited by TimVanBeek; 24/10/20 01:08 PM.
Originally Posted by Abits
The only really really hard fight is the one involving the minotaurs. Some spoilers - after that go to the plant people camp and recruit the fat plant guy that can resurrect dead things and use him to resurrect the minotaurs. Instant win in everything.

And even minotaurs can be really easy if you rember to call the ogres.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Azarielle

I actually never tried that. That might be true. Granted, if you want to beat them without Larian shenanigans it is a hard fight. The best solution is to separate your party as much as possible. Grease is also helpful

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
journeyman
Tbf, if it weren't for the EA exp cap, it wouldn't be nearly as hard, because you'd be deep into level 5 by the time you enter the Underdark (which is a huge power spike for all characters).

I suspect playing the same encounters on release will feel like night and day.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Leuenherz
Tbf, if it weren't for the EA exp cap, it wouldn't be nearly as hard, because you'd be deep into level 5 by the time you enter the Underdark (which is a huge power spike for all characters).

Oh yeah wanted to mention this but I forgot. Unless it will be drastically changed, I can certainly see how we could find ourselves reaching the underdark at level 5 or even 6 in the full game

old hand
old hand

I had really meant to do that there but I had Bulette assistance with one then then used the knockback arrow on the other when it jumped up to find me in the stockroom area (used spider to bring it in range.)

apprentice
apprentice

Oh yeah wanted to mention this but I forgot. Unless it will be drastically changed, I can certainly see how we could find ourselves reaching the underdark at level 5 or even 6 in the full game

For the final release the whole act needs to be rebalanced, IMHO, because at L5 it would be much too easy. I would say something along the lines that all difficult encounters need to be upgraded one level and the XP needs to be downgraded to that players barely reach L5 during the Underdark.

The Underdark should be difficult. In BG:2 you run into a group of three mindflayers, and a Drow war party where two clerics and one wizard hit you with L7 spells, right at the start of the Underdark. And it gets better from there.

Last edited by TimVanBeek; 24/10/20 02:10 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TimVanBeek

For the final release the whole act needs to be rebalanced, IMHO, because at L5 it would be much too easy. I would say something along the lines that all difficult encounters need to be upgraded on level and the XP needs to be downgraded to that players barely reach L5 during the Underark.

The Underdark should be difficult. In BG:2 you run into a group of three mindflayers, and a Drow war party where two clerics and on wizard hit you with L7 spells, right at the start of the Underdark. And it gets better from there.

yep the underdark in BG2 is a nightmare as it should

N
old hand
old hand
N

Or if you have some Wyvern poison. But better keep it for the hag or the bulette though.

old hand
old hand
The Underdark and Swamp are meant to be level 5 content, thats why its hard.

We're still missing an extra attack for weapon classes, and fireball for casters, plus whatever other perks.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 24/10/20 03:51 PM.
Tarorn Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I also tend to try & long rest as little as possible - so I do enter some of the fights with quite a few buffs & spells not available.
Hadn’t thought to go back & raise the Minotaurs...some of these things is just how I play - raising strong enemies & using them to steamroll content just feels off to me - but that’s just me.
I think party composition definitely impacts your game but again that’s what makes this game so good. The more I play it the more I learn & the more I enjoy it.

I agree the under dark should be hard - it’s that balance of challenge and reward - I think is pretty much spot on at present - having said that lord only knows how I’m going to kill the bulette 😉

apprentice
apprentice
Oddly enough I didn't have that many problems with combat encounters on my first playthrough.

The only time my party was wiped was the Githyanki fight in the overworld.
1. because I didn't really expect to fight. I was kinda excited to finally see this Creche thing that Lae'zel keeps yapping on about
2. because I wasn't ready for the "teleporting to high ground and multishot" meta they used

There were definitely harder fights on paper in the Underdark but I wasn't quite as unprepared for those.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

[Linked Image]

Btw this is INSANE - I bloody love it (and Bulette sucks - only gets stuck everywhere)

Last edited by Azarielle; 24/10/20 08:58 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard