Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
In terms of further playing? I have enjoyed the game but the level cap prevents me from further exploring because of the level limitations because levelling up is built into the notion of RPGs. I understand that level 5 is a big deal in terms of jumps in power level, etc but I wonder if I am the only one who feels somewhat demotivated to continue playing with the hard level cap and still a lot to explore?

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
If you're looking to remove the level cap, there is a mod for that which allows you to test the (VERY BASIC) systems currently in place! Take a look on the nexus for it.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
I find the lack of classes, races etc. more demotivating than the level cap tbh. Hopefully they will update EA soon.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
I almost hate to admit it, because the "mature" attitude here should be "Levelling up is not the end goal, let's experience the content", but... Yeah.
I DID notice that the moment the game told me I wasn't gaining any more exp I started feeling a lot less drive to explore, do stuff and achieve things in the current build.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Mister Monster
If you're looking to remove the level cap, there is a mod for that which allows you to test the (VERY BASIC) systems currently in place! Take a look on the nexus for it.


An, many thanks.

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Not really. This is early access, would rather test the other classes. Is kind of fun trying to do things at lower levels, a lot of stuff would be too easy if they raised the cap.

Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
I feel like people are sometimes concerned too much about things that are exclusive to EA. We know for sure the full game will have more levels, and that the current situation stems from Larian not being able to properly set up the next levels yet. So I think patience is the best solution here


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Abits
I feel like people are sometimes concerned too much about things that are exclusive to EA.

I have to admit I find this quite weird coming from you.
You took the time to write two/thee essay threads about how "Larian writing didn't take player actions in consideration" and 90% of your complaints on the topic could be easily dismissed with "Yeah, there are scripting bugs and a lot of stuff missing".

Conversely, this thread is not "a concern about the final game", just a harmless side note about how hitting a level cap so soon can feel a bit demotivating.

Originally Posted by Zarna
Not really. This is early access, would rather test the other classes.

Eh, sort of. At first I thought I cared more about other classes too.
But then you realize that as long as the level cap stays this low, you hardly even reach the point where classes actually start feeling significantly different to play.


Last edited by Tuco; 24/10/20 11:46 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Abits
I feel like people are sometimes concerned too much about things that are exclusive to EA.

I have to admit I find this quite weird coming from you.
You took the time to write two/thee essay threads about how "Larian writing didn't take player actions in consideration" and 90% of your complaints on the topic could be easily dismissed with "Yeah, there are scripting bugs and a lot of stuff missing".

Conversely, this thread is not "a concern about the final game", just a harmless side note about how hitting a level cap so soon can feel a bit demotivating.

Originally Posted by Zarna
Not really. This is early access, would rather test the other classes.

Eh, sort of. At first I thought I cared more about other classes too.
But then you realize that as long as the level cap stays this low, you hardly even reach the point where classes actually start feeling significantly different to play.


We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again. I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Abits

We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again. I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script


We can critique Act 1 all we want, but if Larian makes Acts 2 and 3 without player feedback then it ultimately makes no difference.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Abits

We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again.

Well, if by "addressing" it you mean you answered words back to me sure, but I didn't think your point had any particular merit. I just didn't care enough to keep arguing about it.


Quote
I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script

But that's the point, isn't it? It was a mixture of both, but most of your criticism looked at it as if it was a final script.
I mean, stuff like "Shadowheart treat me like a companion when I met her even if we never joined before" is *clearly* something unintended that will be fixed, and not "Larian doing poor writing and ignoring the player's actions".

Last edited by Tuco; 24/10/20 12:07 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Abits

We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again. I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script

Well, if by "addressing" it you mean you answered words back to me sure, but I didn't think your point had any particular merit. I just didn't care enough to keep arguing about it.

Like I said, we'll see. For what it's worth, I hope I'm wrong and you're right, but I highly doubt it


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Nope. I am, however, limiting myself on what I do, deliberately, to avoid burning myself out on Chapt. 1. I'm doing here what I did for my own NWN module, and in another module, testing out what's there, looking for things that need to be fixed, seeing if there's anything I'd add, whether it's actually "missing" or not. I'm not writing a comprehensive list of scripts that I'd add, or as I did in another NWN module, writing one and submitting it to the mod author because their method of delivering a key to the next level didn't work, so I wrote a script to fix it. I am, however, looking for things like that. If I spend too much time in it, however, I'll burn myself out, and I want to save some of this "new car" feel for release.

So something that did bother me, there's a side quest for the Grove that sends you to a swamp, that's full of running water. If I'm playing as Astarion, how am I going to get to where the quest sends me, all things considered. That's the stuff I'm looking for, and the stuff worth mentioning. A level cap isn't a concern for me, because I understand that in final release, it will be higher, and it may be higher later on in EA too, but subtle things, or maybe glaring issues, need to be accounted for, because if it goes live, and i didn't miss an alternate route, that could be detrimental to trying to find a more peaceful resolution to the Grove.

Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Not demotivating per se but I would love to playtest higher levels!

Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
To answer the OP. I'm fine with the level 4 cap. I like exploring, so gaining or not XP has nothing to do with why I'm going in corners of the map.

I also replay to try the different approaches to quests and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Tuco
Eh, sort of. At first I thought I cared more about other classes too.
But then you realize that as long as the level cap stays this low, you hardly even reach the point where classes actually start feeling significantly different to play.


They want feedback on basic gameplay first, and going by the reaction to the homebrew stuff, it was a wise choice. If there was more levels, they would have had way more stuff to alter based on feedbacks which means longer development.

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by azarhal

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

That. It's not like Larian just don't want us to have fun. They did it simply because it's not ready yet.


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: CARDIFF
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: CARDIFF
I'd love to get to 5th level.

On saying that, having the level cap is making me try new and different ways to survive combat. I'm having fun learning new things and trying to 'break the game' after finishing it twice now.
There's still content I have missed (like the goblin children) that I want to try out too.


Love and sausages xx
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by azarhal

They want feedback on basic gameplay first, and going by the reaction to the homebrew stuff, it was a wise choice. If there was more levels, they would have had way more stuff to alter based on feedbacks which means longer development.

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

Well, thanks for the detailed explanation even if I didn't actually need a single word of it.

Commenting on the fact that being capped on progression can feel demotivating is a bit different than complaining that you don't understand why.
And none of this changes a word of what I said about several classes barely reaching a point where their differences start to shine at such a low level cap.

It's not even like I was exploring any novel notion. "D&D starts getting good from level 5 going on" is a commonly shared sentiment in the tabletop community, too.



Last edited by Tuco; 24/10/20 12:40 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by azarhal

They want feedback on basic gameplay first, and going by the reaction to the homebrew stuff, it was a wise choice. If there was more levels, they would have had way more stuff to alter based on feedbacks which means longer development.

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

Well, thanks for the detailed explanation even if I didn't actually need a single word of it.

Commenting on the fact that being capped on progression can feel demotivating is a bit different than complaining that you don't understand why.
And none of this changes a word of what I said about several classes barely reaching a point where their differences start to shine at such a low level cap.

It's not even like I was exploring any novel notion. "D&D starts getting good from level 5 going on" is a commonly shared sentiment in the tabletop community, too.



The question is why to raise the issue if you are aware to all of that and don't even argue? Just to say you feel demoralised? It's fine I guess, but I don't see much potential for a productive discussion


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by azarhal

They want feedback on basic gameplay first, and going by the reaction to the homebrew stuff, it was a wise choice. If there was more levels, they would have had way more stuff to alter based on feedbacks which means longer development.

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

Well, thanks for the detailed explanation even if I didn't actually need a single word of it.

Commenting on the fact that being capped on progression can feel demotivating is a bit different than complaining that you don't understand why.
And none of this changes a word of what I said about several classes barely reaching a point where their differences start to shine at such a low level cap.

It's not even like I was exploring any novel notion. "D&D starts getting good from level 5 going on" is a commonly shared sentiment in the tabletop community, too.



The question is why to raise the issue if you are aware to all of that and don't even argue? Just to say you feel demoralised? It's fine I guess, but I don't see much potential for a productive discussion



Not sure what the big deal is; was just asking if anyone has the same issue I have with lack of levelling and motivation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5