Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
It feels like darkvision was implemented as a blue-white light effect that follows the characters that have it. I'm happy with how it lights up dungeons, but I feel like I'm missing out on the atmosphere. When I light up all the torches, braziers, and candles my non-darkvision characters get an inviting flickery fire-like glow everywhere but my darkvision characters have those lights overridden by the fluorescent light effect. Even though everything is lit up and bright around them they're still seeing it like darkvision.

It would be really nice if darkvision worked like a fog of war effect. Characters without darkvision stay the same, characters with darkvision see everything in light the same but instead of dark shadows it's visible & greyed out for a distance.
This would also allow for superior darkvision to be more of a variation than just a brighter light; those characters could see some faded colour and further into the fog of war effect.

How it works now feels pretty outdated - very much like the old NwN games where you could flick a switch and have your blue flashlight eyes turn on. I get that there was technical limitations back then, but I'd hope it could be done a bit more natural or 'realistic' to the description given.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm afraid that Darkvision doesn't give colours under the D&D 5e rules and I guess they are on a Darkvision YES/NO switch which stays on no matter what the external lighting.

There is an argument that, in a primarily visual medium like a CRPG, that part of the rules/lore could be dropped for a more colourful experience, but I like that the Darkvision spectrum is Darkvision and not just somebody turning up the lights.

As for what I see as your actual point (about Darkvision not being normal vision when others have torches), yes, I agree. It might have been overlooked by the developers and could count as a bug.

Last edited by Sadurian; 24/10/20 01:17 PM.
L
L
I really like the way Larian implemented darkvision, but then I'm also one of those with the silly notion that a D&D game should be based on D&D.

Last edited by Labayu; 24/10/20 01:25 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian
I'm afraid that Darkvision doesn't give colours under the D&D 5e rules and I guess they are on a Darkvision YES/NO switch which stays on no matter what the external lighting.

There is an argument that, in a primarily visual medium like a CRPG, that part of the rules/lore could be dropped for a more colourful experience, but I like that the Darkvision spectrum is Darkvision and not just somebody turning up the lights.

As for what I see as your actual point (about Darkvision not being normal vision when others have torches), yes, I agree. It might have been overlooked by the developers and could count as a bug.

Possibly a matter of interpretation? Not sure though. I had interpreted seeing in dim light as if it was bright light to mean colours were normal, as they would be in bright light. Darkness as if it was dim light would be the shades of grey.

Darkvision:
A monster with darkvision can see in the dark within a specific radius. The monster can see in dim light within the radius as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. The monster can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. Many creatures that live underground have this special sense.

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Sadurian

Yes I know it doesn't give colour - which is why I'd like the areas in shadow to be visible, but just in shades of grey & for actual light be in the proper colours.
My comment on superior darkvision is that you'd probably get a bit more of the colour fading before it goes greyscale for a further distance.

Last edited by jinkaroo; 24/10/20 01:55 PM.
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Labayu
I really like the way Larian implemented darkvision, but then I'm also one of those with the silly notion that a D&D game should be based on D&D.

To me it's very far from what actual D&D states: That you can't discern colour in darkness with darkvision. Currently it feels like I'm carrying a bright bluish hued light with me, and I can still see colours perfectly fine (just with a cool blue tinge).

vel Offline
They could make it an option to have darkvision light the room like normal. I definitely felt like I was missing out not seeing natural light but torches were a pain.

D
old hand
old hand
D
All forms of darkvision make it VERY clear that you cant see colours while using it, only shades of grey.

Link Copied to Clipboard