I wanted to make a new thread for this because I want to address multiple different issues at once:

Firstly, clearly Larian doesn't want players to miss too often so they changed things. Lowered AC, backstab and highground bonuses. Even now some people hate missing.
To make missing a better experience, I agree with adding animations/sounds to make it look and sound cooler. But players also don't want to wait a minute to get their turn just to achieve nothing during it.

So we speed up AI turns. Make them simultanous. Allow faster animation speed. We encounter a problem: fights are harder to follow. What do we do about that?
First of all, if high ground advantage was reduced, the enemies would also achieve less during their turn. Same if they had less surface effect explosions. Easier to keep track of what's going on.

Simultanous AI also doesn't have to be full chaos everything happening at once. For example, maybe only one enemy would move or attack at a time, but while one is attacking, another could start moving. This should negate potential pathfinding issues as well.
Or maybe enemies further behind could all move at once; what really matters are the enemies closer to you. It could even be adjustable. Maybe someone wants AI to do everything at once, and another wants to see the turns one by one. Or maybe you want faster settings for an easier fight, and slow it down for a tough one.

Animation speed should be easy enough to adjust. Sure it looks all realistic and pretty as it is, but from what I can tell, it's been a standard feature in turn based games to speed up or even remove animations in options. At least allow increasing movement and non-attack action speed, they aren't that important to spend so much time looking at them over and over. Or have a fast forward button, so that everything is normal speed by default, but as soon as you see that it's gonna take a while, you can hit fast forward.

With all of these changes, we can have larger fights without it being a slog. Enemies don't have to have a lot of HP as we can have more of them. You won't feel as bad for missing because you'll get to try again soon enough, so the AC and other hit chance changes could be reverted, but it could still be a difficulty setting, perhaps. Combat could feel more engaging and faster paced without taking away from strategy. Players can get a good sense of progression when they unlock powerful AOE attacks that one shot low HP enemies.

Last edited by denhonator; 24/10/20 01:08 PM.