Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#716098 25/10/20 08:45 AM
Flafnir Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Equiping 2x Hand Crossbow and the Game is Crashing.
I can no longer load a save point because each of them has two hand crossbows. And as soon as I switch to the character that uses them. Crash the game.

I think that's a really bad EA version if the game is destroyed by equipment after 20 hours. Now start this 7 times to get a clean run. In the 260 hours of play time, I was able to finish the game cleanly once, the rest of the attempts I had to abort on the way because of bugs, corrupted save files or, destroyed save files due to equipment.

I'm not interested in the fix whether map points, icons, footprints or character design. For me it is important to test intelligent skills that work, equipment that works and not let the game crash.

I am also annoyed by howling about D&D or any Dos 1-2 + 5E rules. I am frustrated by such people, instead of testing the game cleverly, then such a mistake would have been fixed for a long time.

N
old hand
old hand
N
The hand crossbow is work in progress I think. You can't equip it with a shield or with a melee weapon either. It's allowed in D&D 5e and should be fixed.

apprentice
apprentice
Dual wielding hand crossbow is really cool but in D&D 5e it's not a thing, because you need a free hand to reload your crossbow, even with the feat "Crossbow Expert" (not in BG3 right now).

Flafnir Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
@Dapoolp
Stop my D&D rules. I want to play the game, have fun and not throw everyone out. You don't go through your life with the dice and throw dice whether you are smart enough and pee in the toilet or piss next to what toilet

@Nyanko

I was able to equip the hand crossbow with a shield also with a dagger. But the game crashes the same way. So it is enough if you just equip a hand crossbow to crash the game. So I just keep using the heavy crossbow and forego the drow bonus that wasn't that much. Especially since I chose heavy crossbow as an exercise in the last lvl up for the ranger.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Flafnir
@Dapoolp
Stop my D&D rules. I want to play the game, have fun and not throw everyone out. You don't go through your life with the dice and throw dice whether you are smart enough and pee in the toilet or piss next to what toilet.

No need to be like that dude. The goal of BG3 is to be closer to PnP game than games was before. I just talked about PnP rules because don't except doing something that will maybe not possible and being disappointed.
Sorry but your analogy is stupid, BG3 is not life, it's a game, and game have rules.

Last edited by Dapoolp; 25/10/20 11:07 AM.
Flafnir Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dapoolp
Originally Posted by Flafnir
@Dapoolp
Stop my D&D rules. I want to play the game, have fun and not throw everyone out. You don't go through your life with the dice and throw dice whether you are smart enough and pee in the toilet or piss next to what toilet.

No need to be like that dude. The goal of BG3 is to be closer to PnP game than games was before. I just talked about PnP rules because don't except doing something that will maybe not possible and being disappointed.
Sorry but your analogy is stupid, BG3 is not life, it's a game, and game have rules.

I think the freedom in the game is super very few restrictions. I can do what I want and what I feel like doing. If I want to wipe out a camp with only barrels then I do that and prepare this. Or I poison the drinks, which is less spectacular. What I like best, however, is the mixture of the elements water + fire generates fume and as a flash of lightning you have created a static cloud that makes enormous damage. I also like to snipe away the opponents and hope that my stealth value is high enough and will not be discovered. That is freedom.

There are enough rules in the game. You don't always have to do everything 100% according to D&D, as it is now I find it very relaxing to play.

And you shouldn't forget, it's EA version, I prefer to make sure that bugs are fixed. Magic scrolls do not work, actions that are not performed but count as a move. Stuck, falling through the world and lying dying in the camp. Inventory slots which are blocked after a trip and can no longer be used unless you reload beforehand. These are problems, but not whether they stick to the rules, it's just too early for that.

apprentice
apprentice
Of course they can change D&D rules like they want, it's the first rule of every PnP rpg: "If you don't like a rule, change it !", and in D&D 5e, there is even a name for that: Homebrew.
I don't say they have to stick to everything, if they want to modify somes rules, it's their call.
My first answer here was just a reminder of "base rules" of those they are following, and since the beginning, their first goal is to be as close as possible to the PnP experience.
D&D 5e dualwielding hand crossbow is often mistaken by people.

If at the end, they want to allow players to do it, it's ok for me, because it looks awesome ^^ (and in general, it seems they totally remove the "free hand needed" restriction, for example, you can cast a spell when dualwielding, in PnP, you can't without a specific feat)

Last edited by Dapoolp; 25/10/20 12:33 PM.
Flafnir Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dapoolp
Of course they can change D&D rules like they want, it's the first rule of every PnP rpg: "If you don't like a rule, change it !", and in D&D 5e, there is even a name for that: Homebrew.
I don't say they have to stick to everything, if they want to modify somes rules, it's their call.
My first answer here was just a reminder of "base rules" of those they are following, and since the beginning, their first goal is to be as close as possible to the PnP experience.
D&D 5e dualwielding hand crossbow is often mistaken by people.

If at the end, they want to allow players to do it, it's ok for me, because it looks awesome ^^ (and in general, it seems they totally remove the "free hand needed" restriction, for example, you can cast a spell when dualwielding, in PnP, you can't without a specific feat)

First and foremost it was about that the game crashes as soon as you equip even one of these drow hand crossbows. And that should be fixed, what the later further use looks like is then another topic. I wanted to test it now and that is not possible because my game crashes shortly afterwards. So I keep playing with the heavy crossbow and the light crossbow. there are at least +1. Would have been nice to see if my drow's bonus worked and how much that would have mattered. It's a shame that the goods are only available towards the end of the EA area. I also found a blue sickle from bhooooal (bhaal) and wanted a forge. That doesn't work either. Can only forge great sword and dagger sickle does not work. No matter which gray sickle I try. Next bug inc. frown tis so bad the bugs all time

Flafnir Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

Apparently there are 2 different gray sickles. One with 2d4 and the other with 1d4 Description the same in both, now test whether the 1d4 works

G
stranger
stranger
G
100% Kept getting crashes and thought it was a fault with climbable surfaces as it always crashed there (duergar outpost) , but have tested that once I had equipped two hand-crossbows to the thief, it all broke. Gone back in Saves to when I just had the one hand-crossbow equipped and no issue. A simple test: can you unequip without a crash. Have a lot to go back through now that I have reverted to an old save, but the restarts were starting to get a little irritating.

On one of the saves I had only one hand crossbows equipped. I was able to 'Equip' another bow and that got the hand-bow out of use without crashing the game (click and drag crashes).

A relief that this appears to be a temp solution.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Can confirm this savegame breaking bug is still alive since last patch 10/27/20

Link Copied to Clipboard