Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Does she summon more redcaps if you've already killed the redcaps that were in sheep's clothing outside?


Nope. She tells you to enjoy playing with your new friends and then runs off. If you killed the redcaps they simply don't show up. As a side note I'd very much like to know how those ugly sobs manage to hit so hard and so reliably... XD

Joined: Oct 2020
C
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
C
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Clawfoot
To be honest, Auntie Ethel is a product of Larian's writing style. Why is there an evil swamp hag in the first bits of the game? Because it's a fantasy cliché. It isn't there because it makes sense for the story or because it's realistic for that location, it's there because Larian are the masters of stereotypes and tropes. "Let's have a devious swamp witch here because why not!" It's just part of their cartoonish design.


So what you are saying is: it’s just like a Dungeons & Dragons campaign.


It's like a shitty DnD campaign concocted by a first-time DM who just wanted to cram as much superficial "epicness" into the game as possible from the first moment.

Last edited by Clawfoot; 01/11/20 07:23 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Clawfoot
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Clawfoot
To be honest, Auntie Ethel is a product of Larian's writing style. Why is there an evil swamp hag in the first bits of the game? Because it's a fantasy cliché. It isn't there because it makes sense for the story or because it's realistic for that location, it's there because Larian are the masters of stereotypes and tropes. "Let's have a devious swamp witch here because why not!" It's just part of their cartoonish design.


So what you are saying is: it’s just like a Dungeons & Dragons campaign.


It's like a shitty DnD campaign concocted by a first-time DM who just wanted to cram as much superficial "epicness" into the game as possible from the first moment.




Tell me, which other monsters from the Monster Manuals must we absolutely not include in our campaigns in order to not be shitty DMs? Please, I need to know. I don't want to noob it up.

Joined: Oct 2020
C
CMF Offline
member
Offline
member
C
Joined: Oct 2020
Your adventure starts at a local inn. As you sit down to relax you are approached by five other weary adventurers who have no where else left to sit other than the table you are at. Silently all six of you are eating when someone screams from outside! In a rush you and the other adventurers ready yourselves to defend the village as your mind is rushing with mental preparations. Is it a evil swamp hag? A dragon? A raid of goblins come to sack the town? No that is impossible, adventures like that are rare and unheard of by the average person. Tales of high adventure like that are simply folk lore and over exaggerations. Surely low level adventurers such as yourselves would never run into anything so dangerous.

As the specifically six of you crash open the door to the inn you squint at the sunlight and adjust your eyes and ready your weapons when you see the cause of the commotion. Strewn all over the ground is evidence of chaos and panic. There sobbing in the middle of the mayhem is a lone man, holding the last of his precious belongings. He looks up at you expectantly, waiting for help as he mutters...."my cabbages"....

What do you do?

Last edited by CMF; 01/11/20 07:40 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by CMF
Your adventure starts at a local inn. As you sit down to relax you are approached by five other weary adventurers who have no where else left to sit other than the table you are at. Silently all six of you are eating when someone screams from outside! In a rush you and the other adventurers ready yourselves to defend the village as your mind is rushing with mental preparations. Is it a evil swamp hag? A dragon? A raid of goblins come to sack the town? No that is impossible, adventures like that are rare and unheard of by the average person. Tales of high adventure like that are simply folk lore and over exaggerations. Surely low level adventurers such as yourselves would never run into anything so dangerous.

As the specifically six of you crash open the door to the inn you squint at the sunlight and adjust your eyes and ready your weapons when you see the cause of the commotion. Strewn all over the ground is evidence of chaos and panic. There sobbing in the middle of the mayhem is a lone man, holding the last of his precious belongings. He looks up at you expectantly, waiting for help as he mutters...."my cabbages"....

What do you do?


Slay those cabbages, obviously!

P.S.

How many XP for each cabbage? :P

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Haifa, Israel
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Haifa, Israel
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Clawfoot
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Clawfoot
To be honest, Auntie Ethel is a product of Larian's writing style. Why is there an evil swamp hag in the first bits of the game? Because it's a fantasy cliché. It isn't there because it makes sense for the story or because it's realistic for that location, it's there because Larian are the masters of stereotypes and tropes. "Let's have a devious swamp witch here because why not!" It's just part of their cartoonish design.


So what you are saying is: it’s just like a Dungeons & Dragons campaign.


It's like a shitty DnD campaign concocted by a first-time DM who just wanted to cram as much superficial "epicness" into the game as possible from the first moment.




Tell me, which other monsters from the Monster Manuals must we absolutely not include in our campaigns in order to not be shitty DMs? Please, I need to know. I don't want to noob it up.

Obviously, Clawfoot will be unhappy with everything in the game, no matter how much it conforms to the D&D rules.
Seriously, his arguments consist of whining about how talentless Larian is and how bad the game is. No ideas or suggestions on how to fix this.


Hello there.
Joined: Oct 2020
B
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
B
Joined: Oct 2020
On the Magron (the decapitated drow) issue: if you take the head he will die.

Joined: Nov 2020
G
stranger
Offline
stranger
G
Joined: Nov 2020
I like Ethel. I wish the fight worked, or that one could have it at 4th level and be able to win it without exploits.

Joined: Oct 2020
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Oct 2020
"What is the point?" is a curious question. Consider the fact that videogames are a form of art in a way. This is more aptly, a "why not?" question than a "what is the point?" one. It was a great reason to craft more character into the map, the swamp and the hag and the lair itself was a fun narrative, atmosphere and set pieces to see and, I imagine, to create. The only "why not" would be allocation of resources for development, or what is cut because a game is felt to be too long (see RDR2 and such). I found it neat, atmospheric, a challenging fight, and full of memorable set pieces, fights and characters. Also got a free undead summon wand to augment battle with.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by GoldenSphinx
I like Ethel. I wish the fight worked, or that one could have it at 4th level and be able to win it without exploits.


The fight works now. Or at least it worked for me just yesterday.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
stranger
Offline
stranger
S
Joined: Oct 2020
its a very fun encounter and greatly setup. Not just "hey there is a hag kill it, kill it with fire"

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco
For the people who reach the bottom of the cave and find Maryina "unresponsive", there's a trick to work around the bug and unlock the rest of the quest.

You have to throw some AOE near the control orb
on that small wooden plank, where the hag is hidden in invisible mode, to make her appear and trigger the fight.


P.S. I generally liked this questline a lot, but Jesus Christ if I didn't hate with fierce passion that part with the poison traps after the masked guys.
A perfect marriage of shitty design and a horrific control scheme.



Not to defend the control scheme, but the design is great. Use fire to clear the gas, throw something onto the holes to prevent it from coming back. Walk through.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
When you kill Ethel and talk to her corpse using magic she hints at being able to resurrect herself, so she will probably become important again later.
Going to repost this so more people see it. Normally I would not evangelise Larian's grand vision in storytelling but there is some heavyhanded foreshadowing that;
We will meet Ethel's Fey sisters in Baldur's Gate and that Ethel herself is going to come back in Act 2.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

Not to defend the control scheme, but the design is great. Use fire to clear the gas, throw something onto the holes to prevent it from coming back. Walk through.

Yeah, I know how to pass it.
I didn't say I found it hard, it's just that I hated every goddamn second of the whole process.

It wasn't either interesting nor engaging. And it's something they already did plenty of times in DOS 2. It felt like I was just struggling in a battle of willpower against my patience to go through it, while also wrestling with controls and camera in the process.

it doesn't help that I try to not carry too much trash so it's not like I had dozen of spare items to throw there and a lot of what I tried to launch were small things that just broke on impact. Taking even more time.

In alternative you can also jump around and skip these bits altogether.
It's every bit as tedious, possibly more, given that to be safe it's better to move one character at the time. And god forbid if you are attempting to keep a concentration spell active in the process.


Last edited by Tuco; 02/11/20 05:54 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
To be honest I couldn't be bothered with being careful 'n all that. Sent Astarion down there with poison resistance potion, then had everyone follow him (one thing I consider better than many other games is pathfinding) - I think I had to res PC, everyone else made it. One quick rest later and some food everyone was as good as new ready to fight the hag who just stood there 🤷

I also find those vents rather annoying but Larian seems to love the idea.

Also cheated in the crypts in all but the first run.

Judging by the nice chat we had with the dead hag I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing her again and her sister too (who'll probably not be too pleased with us)

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Azarielle
To be honest I couldn't be bothered with being careful 'n all that. Sent Astarion down there with poison resistance potion, then had everyone follow him (one thing I consider better than many other games is pathfinding) - I think I had to res PC, everyone else made it. One quick rest later and some food everyone was as good as new ready to fight the hag who just stood there 🤷

Sounds like a mess to me.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Run through poison, eat 30 potatoes seems like the best strategy.

Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Still bugged for me. It's better but I still need to start the fight with an invisible hag. Also the masks just go away after the patch and don't stay around to talk.

It may be bugged with parties that don't use the 'cover the holes' strategy -- which I find too tiresome with the current party controls. "No! don't walk right into that ^&&% trap Bhall-dammit!"

I used feather fall in turn based mode the avoid the poison -- I'm guessing that by doing so I'm missing a ground trigger.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
I avoided the poison by killing Ethel in her house before ever going down there.

Joined: Oct 2020
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
When you kill Ethel and talk to her corpse using magic she hints at being able to resurrect herself, so she will probably become important again later.
Going to repost this so more people see it. Normally I would not evangelise Larian's grand vision in storytelling but there is some heavyhanded foreshadowing that;
We will meet Ethel's Fey sisters in Baldur's Gate and that Ethel herself is going to come back in Act 2.


I would hope so, especially after reading the letters between her and M. it would be a disappointingly loose thread if not. I look forward to seeing if sparing her and getting an ability point/maryim vs killing her will affect the outcome or if the hags will be viewing both as equal afront to their greed. Also how keeping the wand or not plays out in the BG area if we encounter Maryim again.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Run through poison, eat 30 potatoes seems like the best strategy.
Did the same as a fellow big-brainer. eat potat, jump over last cloud.

Last edited by Kraydenvar; 02/11/20 07:07 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5