Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by LoneSky
I wouldn't mind that, but that manual search on our part should still work in a way that we don't actually fight the UI and the camera (that's what we do now, unless the highlight happens exactly in a place where we have the camera already focused).

Agreed, and I think it's the camera that's the problem.

Larian wants this mouse hunt mechanic to work like it does in a 3D isometric game with a fixed viewpoint. But allowing free camera rotation and zoom means that the item might actually be off-camera, either due to rotation or being blocked by another object. They can't predict the zoom level or the compass heading of the camera when the Perception check is triggered.

One kludgy solution could be automatically rotating the camera after a successful perception check to place the object of interest in the center of the screen. Or at least the general area where it is. That might feel a little too gamey. Maybe just always show a glow for a few seconds like the gas vents, allowing the player time to pan around?

stranger
stranger
The text log really needs to be expanded,

At the very least make the traps highlight red when you pass the check to find them...

Last edited by Valis; 27/10/20 03:52 AM.
old hand
old hand
What about if you get the message, then you have to look around the room until you find the correct direction to look. The item in question then is highlighted and stays that way until you interact with it. Party should stop moving immediately as well, rather than wandering pointlessly and usually onto a trap. This way there would still be some searching required but not the current easy miss of what you are supposed to see.

In my 50 or so hours of play I quickly decided that the best approach to succesful Perception check notifications was simply to ignore them because I'd spend a fair amount of time figuring out what they were even talking about and get annoyed. Instead, just combing through the areas for secrets and such as I usually play was a lot less stressful than trying to guess what the hell the game was trying to notify me about because that was really opaque

Last edited by Khorvale; 27/10/20 08:15 AM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
You guys just don't get it. Your characters made a successful perception check...now it's your turn laugh

Joking aside, yeah the UI. feedback on perception is very poor. As someone else said in this thread, I also miss the infinity engine style outlines and highlights. Those would be a huge improvement over current labels which seem misaligned when there's a ton of stuff around

V
V
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Yeah, I've definitely had times when I had a Perception check and then couldn't figure out what I'd allegedly spotted. Needs improvement.

I think Larian wants these brief perception check animations to be a hint for further investigation, not a full explanation of what happened.

Sometimes it's explicit, like a successful check showing a brief glow highlighting a gas vent on the floor. Other times, we're expected to hunt around the area with the mouse to see what shows up under the mouse pointer, like a classic 2D Adventure game. Sometimes that works, but other times what we're supposed to find might be hidden from view due to camera rotation.

I like that we need to do a little work scanning the area sometimes, not just hitting the Alt key for a pop-up. But it needs to be a little easier to mouse-hunt for the reason in some of these locations.

That doesn't quite work though. For example, the button in the trap room in the ruins. You spot it and it is a button. Apparently it turns off the gargoyle heads shooting flames, but you can click it multiple times and each click gives you no feedback what it does and turns the trap on and off, again. So it is fully possible for players to click it. Nothing happens, which is normal in BG3, then click it again. Nothing happens, so you just assume whatever you did was either working or not. There is no connection to be seen between the button and the gargoyle heads, especially since you will find the button before you find the heads in the room.
Additionally you can not really investigate further, because there is not textual audio or visual cue, that the button is connected to these and what it does. So, even if I acknowledge that these are supposed to be a low level riddle, it does not work, because the feedback is so poor that in order to realize what the button is for you have to reload the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll add my +1 to this

Love and sausages xx
apprentice
apprentice
Yup and when you do detect a trap, most times the rogue cant disarm it. As in no option to do so. Eg the swamp area.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Valis

At the very least make the traps highlight red when you pass the check to find them...

That. Also what the hell is wrong with Larian and traps

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by voncastein
Yup and when you do detect a trap, most times the rogue cant disarm it. As in no option to do so. Eg the swamp area.

It makes me really mad when I find traps and there's no disarm option. And that's MOST OF THE TRAPS in the game!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by voncastein

It makes me really mad when I find traps and there's no disarm option. And that's MOST OF THE TRAPS in the game!

Larian

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Valis
The text log really needs to be expanded,

And maybe stop all character movement as well? I'm sure it's not at all annoying when you spot a trap but the party keeps on walking.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Agreed, perception checks are frustrating. Also had a chest that was trapped, perception check succeeded, but never figured a way to disarm the chest and it never showed that the chest was trapped so maybe a assumption on my part, but the perception check came after it was lockpicked. Definitely need to make successful checks a persistent highlight.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Trejinn
Agreed, perception checks are frustrating. Also had a chest that was trapped, perception check succeeded, but never figured a way to disarm the chest and it never showed that the chest was trapped so maybe a assumption on my part, but the perception check came after it was lockpicked. Definitely need to make successful checks a persistent highlight.

The one in the cave where the four goblins are torturing the druid? It doesn't seem to be a way to undo that trap without using the key.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard