Next Thread
Print Thread
#717158 26/10/20 07:42 AM
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I think most people has noticed this, but here goes.

Is there a reason why all the female party members are *itches, and all the guys are smooth talking "nice people"?
Even Astarion who is quite evil is generally nice to your player character.
Gale is the happy go lucky type.
Wyll is the goody two shoes braggard.

All of them are relatively friendly. (Although Astation can be a little snooty at times)

Then we have Shadowheart and Lae'zel.

Even when you get friendly with Shadowheart she comes off as very stand-off-ish. A bit of a Tsundere characer.
Lae'zel. I have to admit, I generally don't even let her live, I side with the Tieflings, I find her to be utterly annoying. Angry and yelling at me all the time.

I would love to see some nice girls, and some propper bad guys to be in the party.

And after 100 hours in the game, I'm really feeling the need for a broader choice of party members anyways, you end up with the same play style almost every time.
Should have at least one choice of each class (if not more)

Vote now for obedient housewaifu companion! /s

N
old hand
old hand
N
Nice girls are coming. Obedient waifus must be more difficult to implement.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Nice girls are coming. Obedient waifus must be more difficult to implement.

No no, they just approve of everything you do.

journeyman
journeyman
Playing a lolth Sworn Drow Shadowheart was nice to me right off the bat. The exact opposite of playing a Gith; if you want to see her turn up her hate to 11 then talk to her as a Gith chances are you'll only have one conversation with her.

Last edited by Popsculpture; 26/10/20 08:34 AM.
veteran
veteran
Shadowheart is a sweetheart I'll fight anyone about it. She is a little tsundere but that's about it

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
By all means I like Shadowheart, but the fact still stands, we lack a woman who is in the Gale level of kindness.
Equally we lack a mean person on the guy side.

veteran
veteran
I guess it's fair. this archetype of companion has been around since BG and even dos2 had Loshe.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Not criticizing the characters we have now, to be honest (Although Lae'zels armor is too nice for her to be that mean... just saying)

I just want a bigger range of party characters. Right now the two possible party characters we have seen is Halsin and Minthara. Another Happy and nice guy, and a mean and *itchy woman.
(There's some others that could be party characters that I've met)

It would also be nice to have more party member choices, since your party becomes very "same face"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
Not criticizing the characters we have now, to be honest (Although Lae'zels armor is too nice for her to be that mean... just saying)

I just want a bigger range of party characters. Right now the two possible party characters we have seen is Halsin and Minthara. Another Happy and nice guy, and a mean and *itchy woman.
(There's some others that could be party characters that I've met)

It would also be nice to have more party member choices, since your party becomes very "same face"

not sure I agree about the last part, but it's no biggie. Regarding more party members, it ism ore than likely we will have more. but how many and who is still largely a mystery (there are very well established theories though)

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Kinda impossible to create some realy noteable diversity with 5 people. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
stranger
stranger
Shadowheart is nice and lovely! She approves when you pat that dog. I bet she are just afraid to open her true nice nature to every other stranger she comes around thus pretending to be tough girl.

Last edited by Nagfar; 26/10/20 03:30 PM.
addict
addict
I mean, I don't look at the current female companions as bitches at all. I'm actually really happy that Larian didn't go the "aren't I just the cutest and most innocent princess ever" route with them.
It's a tough world and the companions are in a tough situation. The standard tropey naive and optimistic girl would feel out of place. They have no reason to trust you and they're on a serious quest with their lives on the line. Flowery anime-esque "uwu" conversations wouldn't really fit the narrative or the style in this circumstance. Strong women aren't for everyone, and maybe JRPGs are more your speed if you really need the presence of oblivious, dramatic, and insecure female characters to enjoy yourself.

Besides, Lae'zel and Shadowheart start shedding some of that steely exterior over the course of your adventures together. I don't see the issue at all and I love their personalities.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

old hand
old hand
We still have more companions coming later, judging off the ones we have already is pointless without the full roster.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I mean, I don't look at the current female companions as bitches at all. I'm actually really happy that Larian didn't go the "aren't I just the cutest and most innocent princess ever" route with them.
It's a tough world and the companions are in a tough situation. The standard tropey naive and optimistic girl would feel out of place. They have no reason to trust you and they're on a serious quest with their lives on the line. Flowery anime-esque "uwu" conversations wouldn't really fit the narrative or the style in this circumstance. Strong women aren't for everyone, and maybe JRPGs are more your speed if you really need the presence of oblivious, dramatic, and insecure female characters to enjoy yourself.

Besides, Lae'zel and Shadowheart start shedding some of that steely exterior over the course of your adventures together. I don't see the issue at all and I love their personalities.

But I think he talks about a very specific companion archetype that has been in most RPGs of this kind ever since Aerie from bg2. A probably not full list but those I remember - Aerie (bg2), Dawn Star (JE), Liara, (ME), Tali (ME2), Leliana (DAO), Merrill (Da2), Shani (Witcher 1), Loshe (dos2). The most common thing about him I found aside from their relatively agreeable nature is that they are not the only possible romance in the game, and the other option is usually much less agreeable at least at first.

Link Copied to Clipboard