Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
First of all, I haven't fully tested all interactions, but here is what, afaik, you can achieve by changing around equipment mid fight:

- Switch to / put on a shield for higher AC before ending your turn while you attack with a two handed weapon

- Switch to melee to get Attack of Opportunity after using ranged attack

- Switch to equipment with special abilities, use them, and switch it again (in a single turn)

- Change to most defensive armor before ending turn while otherwise using something with offensive advantages

- Cycle unique items to the currently active player to utilize during their turn, then pass it on. For example the 18 INT headgear or the magic missile amulet.

None of that makes any sense. Suggested changes:
- Switching equipment should cost an action
- You should not be able to change weapon sets if you can't attack anymore
- No magic pockets during combats

Last edited by denhonator; 26/10/20 02:40 PM. Reason: Added another suggestion
journeyman
journeyman
Another one: You can attack with big two-handed weapon, change to 2 one-handed and make a bonus attack and finally switch to shield (you don't even need to be proficient with shield because proficiency influence only attacking and not defending). Also you can switch armors like this and not need to be proficient with it.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I agree that changing equipment on character should be locked*, but using expandables (potions, scrolls) should be allowed from the Equipment window.

*Example:
I swapped the anti-web shoes between the characters while fighting the spiders :D, which made it much easier encounter.

Last edited by Chrois; 26/10/20 03:13 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
The DnD 5e rules have the solution.

Originally Posted by Roll20
Other Activity on Your Turn
Your Turn can include a variety of flourishes that require neither your action nor your move.

You can communicate however you are able, through brief utterances and gestures, as you take Your Turn.

You can also interact with one object or feature of The Environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to Attack.

If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action. Some Magic Items and other Special Objects always require an action to use, as stated in their descriptions.

The GM might require you to use an action for any of these activities when it needs Special care or when it presents an unusual obstacle. For instance, the GM could reasonably expect you to use an action to open a stuck door or turn a crank to lower a drawbridge.

source: Other Activity on Your Turn

stranger
stranger
I do think the scrolls/potions/food should still be magic pocketed, or something needs to change a bit on how inventory is managed.

This sounds like a non-issue in what is essentially a single player game with no PVP. I mean... maybe just don't do it rather than asking them to break apart their inventory system to counter a fairly unintuitive way to get advantage.

D
D
Oh wait me until I change my pants before you attack!

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
This sounds like a non-issue in what is essentially a single player game with no PVP. I mean... maybe just don't do it rather than asking them to break apart their inventory system to counter a fairly unintuitive way to get advantage.

I would say the changes I suggested shouldn't be particularly complicated to implement.

I don't think it's a non-issue. Maybe some people do, but I don't want an experience where I have to decide what should and shouldn't be allowed. Primarily, the game should avoid having broken mechanics. If devs are unable to do that, then sure, maybe it's better to create your own custom rules for your playthrough to make it more enjoyable. Also, changing equipment mid fight is something that could be balanced and have a cost. "Just don't do it" isn't really a solution. I want it to have a proper implementation that makes sense.

People complain about rest system not being good, since you can long rest almost anywhere. This greatly affects the balance of warlocks and other spellcasters in particular. It makes the game less exciting when you can long rest after every encounter. Now you don't have to do that, you can choose to long rest less frequently. Does that mean it's a non-issue? No. Devs should absolutely do something about.

Similarly, let's say the weapon set switching trick. One press of a button and you can switch to sword/shield after shooting with a bow. The game allows it. It's a mechanic. It's easy to do. Why wouldn't you do it? It's not a great experience to play a game find mechanics that make you go "yeah this is dumb" and have to decide if you should use it or not.

I'm also not saying this is a deal breaker and I can't enjoy the game. This is EA and they are asking for feedback. I find that this is something that they could change to improve the game. If the devs don't care, whatever, but why are you opposed to suggesting improvements?

addict
addict
Changing armor during combat should definitely not be allowed since you'd need several minutes to don an armor. Magic pockets shouldn't work during combat either.

But weapon switching should remain untouched, at least for your equipped weapon sets.

Link Copied to Clipboard